Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Need help...toad wiring

I used the blue ox wiring diodes on my 2009 Jeep wrangler X. When hooked up to the rv the drivers side rear light works (tail, brake, turn signal), the left side won't light up. Using a test light I see that I have power on the right side from the RV and even through the "out" of the diode but it doesn't reach the right light for some reason. If I unhook it from the rv the Jeep right side works as a brake, turn or tailight. So I know the wire is "good" from the diode to the light.

I'm frustrated and confused!

mcluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check that right assembly and insure someone hasn't upgraded it to LED lights. A LED is another Diode and won't work the way you have wired it. You can also swap the left and right assemblies to test the wiring.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Thanks....not LED as I've pulled the assembly and checked the bulbs. I'm guessing it has something to do with joining the tail light wires (as instructed) but even after separating them I can't get the pass. rear light to work at all when hooked up.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently had symptoms as you describe. It turned out to be the converter that converts the three light system from the MH to the two light system on the toad.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I had a problem that had me going the other day, I hooked up the toad for a trip and had the wife hit to turn signals and brakes in the coach while I stood behind and watched. Both turn signals worked on coach and toad, both brake lights worked on coach but the left brake light on toad did not work. I had no voltage coming from the output of the signal converter. All bulbs on toad tested ok. I finally pulled the bulbs on the COACH and had a burned(black) bulb on on the left TURN, it was working but it looked bad. I replaced it and the left brake light on the toad worked!
So,,, just saying check the bulbs!
John G.
John and Cherrie
2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40DST
Pushed By 2003 Ford Explorer
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Called the tech and they didn't have much helpful advice. Spent a couple hours pulling the diodes and inserting 2nd bulbs. Worked perfectly!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First.. I will assume your towed light connector is a flat 4 connector'
Four-Way Trailer Light Tester

Will test the output from the Motor home,, I have one similur to this (I have 2 like it) but the one I really like is an "in-line" it not only has the plug and LEDs like this one does but a socket as well so you plug it in and then plug the towed into it.

If you have output from the motor home TO the diode pack, and no output from the diode pack, to the tail lights, You have a bad diode pack. (Bad doide) you have two options.

1: External diode around it

2: Send it back and ask for a replacment.

If I recall correctly you said you have power TO the pack, but none coming out of the pack (Measure as close to the diode pack as possible.

One other possible problem, depending on the connectors under the dash where you break and make to install the diode pack (Break = Unplug , Make = plug in) you might have a bent pin on the diode pack's output socket.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Thanks for all the advice but I tossed the diodes and drilled new holes in the tailights and added separate bulbs. I'm now working on hooking it up to my brute ready brake towbar.