Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Bought a 2003 CR-V already set-up for towing, has a Blue Ox tow system and a Brake Buddy in the CR-V. When I plug the electrical cord into our RV the tail lights & turn signal lights work properly, but the brake lights do not activate on the CR-V when we use the RV brakes. Instructions say the we must be above 15 MPH before the Brake Buddy activates, shouldn't the brake lights work off the Coach until that speed is reached? Or is this the way the system normally works. The instructions don't cover this issue. Any advice is welcome.

Bitafun 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Bitafun2:

Welcome to IRV2. Yes the brake lights should work off the Motorhome. Since you purchased the CR-V already equipped to tow you are going to have determine how it is wired first. You should also check your Motorhome wiring to make sure it is working properly. After I checked the MH for power than I would check the Umbilical cord for broken/disconnected wires. If they checked out OK than it is time to check the tow car remember you may have two light bulbs or they may have used diodes and one (Light/Diode) may be bad. I hope this info is useful.

As far as your BB I am sure someone that has one can help you. You maybe able to download the instruction manual off the web.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
As far as I know, BB has nothing to do with the brake lights on your toad. The brake lights should always come on when you touch your MH service brakes. The toad brake lights should be isolated from the MH by a diode, otherwise your toad may try to light up your MH lights, which is a NO-NO. Brake Buddy works via an electronic momentum circuit, 15 MPH is the minimum to activate, except I guess, although I have never tried it, in a panic situation.
Bob, Laurie & Missy
Flagstaff Micro-Lite 21DS
2015 Explorer Limited
BBBEEBOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2
I agree with Dave, first step is to check wiring on our motorhome at the plug. Usually the plug in are standard and may even be marked. Find the one marked brakes or brake lamp and using a 12 volt test light in one end and ground the other. Have someone apply brake and if the light comes on M/H is ok. Then plug in cord and do the same test on the toad side.

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the Forum. Here still another idea. Our first MH had tail lights from the Toyota Camry (turn light is a different light than the stop light). An then the toad has a different type of tail light (combined stop\turn light). Know what I mean? Anyway they sell an aftermarket light switch aid...that will fix this problem and match the lights, this devise goes on the MH, before the light plug. Here is a link to study: http://www.truckspring.com/tai...ers-modules_510.html

Good Luck!
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Thanks to everyone for their advice, I checked the wiring circuits on both the MH & Toad and all was in order, still no brake lights working on the Toad. Checked out Steve's idea about the wiring converter box and turns out that was the solution. All lights work properly now and are independant from the brake buddy. Now we can safely travel the highways of america & more. Once again, "THANK YOU" for all the help. See you on the road .....

Bitafun 2 is offline   Reply With Quote