Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Question Need help with Car Trailer !!!

I just purchased a car trailer to tow my 2012 VW Jetta. It comes with nothing….my rig has a tow package. So far I know I need the tow bar with 2 5/16 ball…and from my research I decided to go with tire bonnets rather than axel straps (although I have still purchased them and plan to use them as a safety measure) …What else do I need? Do I need a coupler lock?…I am a total rookie at this I would greatly appreciate any tips you could offer...

Thank you!!!!!
Eileen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-6-14 (24).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	76966  
eledonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Looks like the car carrier would have electric brakes(?)...Does the "Tow Package" include a brake controller in the cab?
The hook-up is easy after you have the electric set-up (lights and brakes).

Strapping the car down can be done many ways (straps, chains, cables, etc).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Eileen,

A coupler lock is good when you store the trailer. Also, you should experiment with the car in different positions so you can optimize the tongue weight; usually recommended to be a percentage of the total loaded trailer weight, although you don't want to exceed the tongue weight capacity of your hitch which is usually 500Lb. for a gas coach.

Once you establish the desired car location on the trailer, consider installing chocks for the front wheels so you can easily locate the car when loading.

Assuming 3000 lb for your car and 1500 lb. for a heavy steel trailer, you are at 4500 lb. total, which is under the usual gasser 5000 lb. hitch capacity and 11% tongue weight is 500 lb.

Other items.

Are the trailer brake and turn signal lights compatible with those on your motorhome?. The issue is whether the turn signals blink the brake light, or if these are separate signal lights. If you have two different systems, there is an inexpensive converter box available. Your trailer supplier should be able to assist in getting everything hooked up correctly.

You will need a trailer brake controller on your motorhome. Again, the trailer supplier should be able to assist.

Finally, you will need a spare trailer wheel/tire and maybe a jack & lug wrench (depending on whether you have a road service plan like Coach.Net or Good Sam).

This is a quick response, but I'm sure others will chime in with additional information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledonne View Post
I just purchased a car trailer to tow my 2012 VW Jetta. It comes with nothing….my rig has a tow package. So far I know I need the tow bar with 2 5/16 ball…and from my research I decided to go with tire bonnets rather than axle straps (although I have still purchased them and plan to use them as a safety measure) …What else do I need? Do I need a coupler lock?…I am a total rookie at this I would greatly appreciate any tips you could offer...

Thank you!!!!!
Eileen
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Car Trailer

Eileen,
I purchased a trailer similar to yours. Mine is 22 ft and rated for 10,000 Lbs.
I had the dealer add a spare wheel and tire and spare mount.

The trailer came with 4 rotating "D" rings for tie downs, I had the dealer add 4 more. I purchased 4 ratchet tie down straps 8 ft long ( about $30 each).

I also had the dealer add a Tool box across the tongue of the trailer and just forward of the deck.

You will need a ball mount for your RV and a 2 5/16 in ball to match your trailer.

What RV are you using to tow your trailer?

You can look at the accessories I described, purchased above at the dealer website.
Texas Trailer Man.com

I am not associated with the business just a satisfied customer.

Pat
Cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

Question Trailer Break Contorller???

I just purchased this 31" Class C Coachman Santara. It does have a tow package. I do not recall seeing a 'Break Controller Box or panel" inside the coach. The Trailer does come with a spare tire and breaks. There is a place where the wiring harness plugs into the coach. I asked the dealer if that is all I need for the breaks to work...he said "yes"...but I realize he is also trying to make a sale...lol..so that's why I am asking these questions here. I am driving my coach from Boston and my daughter is driving my car behind me until we reach North Carolina where the trailer manufacturer is. This is why I need to be sure I have everything I will need to hook up once I get there. So far on my list I have ...Tire Straps, Axel starps, 2 5/16 ball & hitch, locking lugs for the trailer, a tire lock for the trailer and a coupler lock. I decided to two my car with a trailer because I will be traveling to California and I wanted to do the least damage to my car...(that I love and paid cash for)...would I be better off with a wooden deck? Do you think the trailer will be too heavy? The option they have with a wooden deck is only 16' and my car is 15'2". I was also hoping to add a box to the trailer at some point to store extra stuff...or at least put our bicycles on it as well..I do not want to overload the coach and end up with problems. I also did purchase Good Sam Roadside Assit. Thank you all so much for your help!
eledonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

There are two types of Brake Controllers - Hard wired in your RV or Wireless.
The wireless requires a box to be mounted on your trailer tongue and uses a remote hand held or mounted controller in the cab of your RV. I use the wireless because my RV has air brakes.

I suggest you wait until you get to the trailer dealer to determine the length you need/want. I would ask the dealer to let you load your VW on each one to see how it fits. I prefer a 20 ft min length, and steel deck. I would buy the longer length in case you change cars at a later time.

I had wheel straps on a tow dolly prior to getting a trailer, I did not like them. They were hard to get on correctly and did not want to stay in place.

I have towed a 6200 lb Chevrolet Suburban on my 20ft Trailer for over 1000 miles and will be making a 2000 mile trip next month. Great easy tow.

My steel deck trailer weighs 2250 Lbs, Suburban 6200 Lbs = 8450 total.

Good luck
Pat
Cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I just purchased this 31" Class C Coachman Santara. It does have a tow package. I do not recall seeing a 'Break Controller Box or panel" inside the coach. The Trailer does come with a spare tire and breaks. There is a place where the wiring harness plugs into the coach. I asked the dealer if that is all I need for the breaks to work...he said "yes"...but I realize he is also trying to make a sale...lol..so that's why I am asking these questions here. I am driving my coach from Boston and my daughter is driving my car behind me until we reach North Carolina where the trailer manufacturer is. This is why I need to be sure I have everything I will need to hook up once I get there. So far on my list I have ...Tire Straps, Axel starps, 2 5/16 ball & hitch, locking lugs for the trailer, a tire lock for the trailer and a coupler lock. I decided to two my car with a trailer because I will be traveling to California and I wanted to do the least damage to my car...(that I love and paid cash for)...would I be better off with a wooden deck? Do you think the trailer will be too heavy? The option they have with a wooden deck is only 16' and my car is 15'2". I was also hoping to add a box to the trailer at some point to store extra stuff...or at least put our bicycles on it as well..I do not want to overload the coach and end up with problems. I also did purchase Good Sam Roadside Assit. Thank you all so much for your help!
The trailer sales place can usually help with the brake controller if it is not installed...but since you are traveling so far before pick-up it might be a good idea to have the controller installed locally. Or, if there is one, to have it checked to ensure it works.

About the load on the hitch - according to Intellichoice, the Jetta weighs 3082lb empty. You need to get the weight of the trailer, add 3082lb and make sure it does not exceed the capacity of the hitch receiver on your RV.
I believe the Santara is a Class C, so -typically- they have a 5000 hitch. This means that even if the trailer weights 1818lb you are good to go.

The final question is about total mass (RV, tow, and any cargo or people in the RV or car) being pulled down the road by the RV's engine - called Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). This number should be on the ID Placard of the RV. This is a difficult number to get because it means a lot of research.

The bottom line is to travel as light as you can, so to not exceed the GCWR - this will improve your mileage too. That's things like, there is no need fill the fresh water tank to the top (water weighs 8lb per gallon), dump the waste tank when ever you can, and don't fill all the bins and storage bays with stuff you don't need.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I just purchased a car trailer to tow my 2012 VW Jetta. It comes with nothing….my rig has a tow package. So far I know I need the tow bar with 2 5/16 ball…and from my research I decided to go with tire bonnets rather than axel straps (although I have still purchased them and plan to use them as a safety measure) …What else do I need? Do I need a coupler lock?…I am a total rookie at this I would greatly appreciate any tips you could offer...

Thank you!!!!!
Eileen
Do some searches on the forum, there is a lot of great information.

You do need a shoreline tongue scale:

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

and I would visit Mac's Custom tie down site, here is a video you may find helpful.

Tie Downs 101 at Easter Jeep Safari, Moab Utah - YouTube

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com

You will also want to spend some time in a parking lot with a spotter on the phone to determine the maximum sharp turn you can make without hitting the trailer with the rear of the coach.

You also definitely want to get the trailer weighed after loading it and weigh each axle.

Good luck and enjoy your trailer!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help