Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Need help with SMI Installation of Duo brake system

For those members who have the SMI Stay-in-Play Duo brake system, can you see the notification light if it is installed in the tow vehicle?
Thanks,

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

In my experience, Most people can see the noti light on the rear view mirror. If you have problems due to windshield angle and sun reflection or lack of clarity in your camera you can run the red wire for the light to the cab of the coach and find a new ground in the coach.
If that does not fit your liking, SMI sells a wireless coach link kit that will allow you to simply plug in the receiver to a 12v outlet in the coach and get the signal where you need it.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My lite was placed on the dash of our toad and can be seen on my rear view mirror. Works great but I find myself tapping my brakes to insure toad brakes are working when light comes on.
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the SMI system on two different toads, a truck and a Honda CRV. I prefer to just run a wire to the motor home dash. The wire is incorporated into my umbilical cord between the toad and the motor home. This way there are no issues seeing the light. All you need is one wire the length of the coach to make this work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

I did the same I used a 7 wire plug to six wire on the road and ran a 12v hot to charge and the signal light back to the dash via the electronic brake control line
Old 05-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

I do the same as "gremlin" and "Dutch Star Don," which is to use the factory-installed "blue" electric brake controller wire that runs from 7-pin connector to under the the dash. I put a small red LED on it and positioned the LED so both the driver and passenger could see it, but otherwise not shining in the driver's eyes (it's pretty bright).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #7

One other thing I didn't do yet but am planning on is wiring a normally closed relay to the ignition power circuit on the radio and to the power circuit on the Stay-In-Play that way when I switch on the toad's brakes it'll automatically turn off the large radio screen and not use that battery. This will also serve as a secondary indicator that the system is on if I'm trying to drive the car.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help and ideas. Picked up the Wrangler today, and they did not get the SMI brake system installed. They lost the tech this week that normally does it and I did not want a new guy to learn on my new Wrangler. They did get the baseplate installed and brake light wired and a charge wire installed. So, when they get a experienced tech, I may take it back or consider other brake options.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Its honestly not that hard an install to do yourself, I watched the you tube videos of a few people doing it and then read the directions twice and dove in. It took me about 3 hours mostly because I was trying to be super tidy with all the wiring, which I mostly managed...
Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I can't see it in my rear camera. Whether it's not bright enough or the camera just doesn't provide good image, I can't say.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

For anyone interested in the wireless kit they sell..it retails for $249.95
It runs on 900 mHz as to not get any interference from the wireless systems on your coach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WirelessCoachLinkFlyer.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	128729  
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
CarlAda, assuming it's working properly, the light on dash need to be tilted slightly to see in rear camera. Mine is very bright but until I found a spot that would work I couldn't see mine either.
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install, need help