Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Need Help with what I need to tow

I have a MH with around 10,000 lb of cargo/tow weight to play with. I need to tow my Envoy four wheel flat, I also need to somehow place DW three wheel scooter as she is disabled on a platform. When I bought the MH it came with one of those tow bars that you use to hook your toad to. Can someone help with what I need to purchase to accomplish my goal. The tow bar I have is a Roadmaster Falcon non-binding All Terrain, it has a tongue weight of 100 lb. and a tow capacity of 6000 lb. My toad is a 2003 GMC Envoy 4WD and has a GVW right around 5600 lb.

Thanks in advance....D-Pusher...Ted & Dar
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

I have seen several RV’s with a hydraulic rig mounted on and above the hitch.
The one this summer had a big motorcycle mounted up there and a car on the hitch.
Do the Google dance, I’m sure you will find a few models.
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Pusher View Post
I have a MH with around 10,000 lb of cargo/tow weight to play with. I need to tow my Envoy four wheel flat, I also need to somehow place DW three wheel scooter as she is disabled on a platform. When I bought the MH it came with one of those tow bars that you use to hook your toad to. Can someone help with what I need to purchase to accomplish my goal.
Thanks in advance....D-Pusher...Ted & Dar
D-Pusher
Many hitches are only rated for 5,000 lbs,
You may need a different/new hitch on your MH, (many/most? hitches are only rated for 5,000 lbs).... and a different tow bar depending on the rating of the tow bar you now have.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Ultimate MX Hauler Motocross & Dirt Bike Carrier

this will get you started
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
OK will get the research started, my hitch is rated at 10,000 lb..my GVWR is 22,000 and my GCWR is 32000, so the actual hitch should be OK, it all the rest of what I need that I will have to figure out and I do appreciate the links.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link for etrailer.com that has a variety of scooter carriers, one of them may be what you are looking for. It could be attached to your toad.

etrailer.com - Products carrier for 3 wheel scooter
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
D-Pusher, your all Terrane will be ok. We tow a Ford Edge fully loaded with the allTerrane it'sright at 5600lbs. Contact road master for your necessary plates and accessories for your vehicle if you have not already. You might want to google up the parts list Roadmaster has a downloadable PDF. All the items are easily identifiable or they will answer your questions on the phone, they have pretty good tech service. As Mel suggested be sure your receiver is rated at 10K don't know your rig but you really need to be assured that is the correct rate. Once your plates and accessories are identified check E-Trailer and Amazon for price comparison with Roadmaster. I certainly would recommend an auxillary breaking system. Roadmaster will provide you lots of info. Your toad is heavy best to be safe as many states recquire braking systems not to mention your insurance carrier. Good hunting.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Your toad is heavy best to be safe as many states recquire braking systems not to mention your insurance carrier. Good hunting.
Clayobx
I have heard that speculation, (re: a "braking system"), before.
But no one has been able to show/prove that any car, or trailer, being towed behind a "covered" MH and driver is exempt from coverage for any reason.
Does your MH insurance policy/contract list any exemptions?
Wondering

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Pusher View Post
I need to tow my Envoy four wheel flat, I also need to somehow place DW three wheel scooter as she is disabled on a platform.
What Grandpere said. Mount the scooter carrier on the back of the toad. Then you can use an ordinary tow bar - probably the one you already have - to tow the toad behind the motorhome. And when you separate the toad from the motorhome at an RV park, the scooter will already be on the toad and ready to go shopping or whatever.

There are several designs of scooter carriers included in the link Grandper provided. Pick out the one you like best, and order it. I like this one:
28x48 Hitch Mounted Wheel Chair and Scooter Carrier with 60" Long Ramp Rage Powersports Hitch Cargo Carrier SC500

I like this one even better, but it's a bit spendy:
Trailer Hitch Mounted Scooter / Wheelchair Carrier for 2" Trailer Hitches - Fold Up Oldenkamp Hitch Cargo Carrier RHWC2FL

Quote:
OK will get the research started, my hitch is rated at 10,000 lb...
Your receiver is probably rated for 10,000 pounds only with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch. But a tow bar is not a WD hitch, it's a weight-carrying (WC) hitch. Most receivers rated for 10,000 pounds WD are rated for only 5,000 pounds WC. If your receiver is rated for less than about 6,000 pounds WC, then you need to replace your receiver with one that's rated for more than the max weight of your wet and loaded toad that includes the scooter hanging off the back of the toad.

Your Envoy is a 4x4, so it can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground - provided you follow the instructions in your Envoy Owner's Guide.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #10

Think that all I've seen have been carried on the back of the toad. Shouldn't be a problem on an Envoy
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks so much to all, I have ensured my hitch is actually 10,000 lb class IV, after I put the carrier and scooter on the back of the Envoy (5700 lb) I will be at/near the 6000 lb tow bar limit, I will definitely be using extra braking assist through my coaches air brake system with the Roadmaster 9000 braking system.

I am sure I will see some of you at the Rally in Myrtle Beach and hope to have all squared away by then, just a time thing since a one hour job will likely take me 4-5 hours to figure out, its either that or go pay the shop fees.

D-Pusher

Tags
need help, tow