Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
RVluvin,
My opinion is that these posters may not have the physical ability to kneel down on one knee or lack the manual dexterity to strap down a tire.
Or most likely of all, they bought a dolly that was awkward to use, too heavy and cumbersome to move it alone, had problems with steering tire alignment or pivot plate, and paid way more than needed.
They now are embarrassed by their lack of forethought in choosing a dolly and say bad things about dollys in general, just to cover up their lack of abilities to operate one.
You forgot another segment of those who have decided to tow 4 down. The 'really lazy ones' - like me. After seeing the sweat of those with dollies during the normal procedures and those involved with a back in campsite, I feel I've made the right choice - for me. Especially in those CGs(IE state/national parks and older CGs) that do not allow or have no room for a dolly parked at the site. As I get older simplicity and ease are KING, so I'll continue to wallowing in my laziness...I even splurged for a light weight aluminum tow bar to feed my affliction. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a MasterTow dolly with electric brakes. It is the widest one (80THD)they make just in case I someday tow a large vehicle. I have no problem loading/unloading the car. After a few times you get it down to a science. When I load I do it in the same manner each time and then I back away and visually check each item. I converted the dolly lights to LED and they really put out the light. I carry the magnetic lights in the MH storage bay as backup if the dolly lights fail. The nice thing I like about the dolly is that I didn't have to modify the car for towing. My knees aren't that great either but then again I am not in any rush. My MaserTow doly works very well for me.

TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #17

The Master Tow makes the 77" and the 80" deck, the ACME eze-tow like mine, only makes the 80" deck, so that is what I got, but doubt I'll ever tow anything that big.
And like you I also converted to LED lights, but have LED magnetic lights that I use most of the time, I like having lights all the way at the back of the toad.
After hooking up a few times, it becomes almost automatic, like you said, down to a science.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
you cant tow a 2 wheel drive auto transmission down on all fours
That is not true at all.

I tow a 2011 Chev Malibu two wheel drive automatic four down. Pull one fuse, shift into neutral and put key in acc position.

There are many, many 2 wheel drive automatic transmission vehicles that can be towed four down.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found locally that places want $3000+ to install the system for 4 wheels down towing. Even though that was my desired option, I couldn't justify the expense with how often I will tow a toad. Instead, I just found and got a road master 2000-1 (used, great condition, elec brakes, new tires and bearings just packed) for $800 on craigslist. A new one is also >$3000.

It's more of a dolly than I need for my car's weight, but the price was right.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #20

California registers a tow dolly as they would farm equipment, with a sticker that is good for 5 years, and is rather inexpensive. Problem is that most Dept of Motor Vehicle personell don't know this, so it is often necessary to find a supervisor to look up the reg and use the correct form.
That said; I have used a Demco Dolly for just over 25 years, happily. We just recently switched to flat towing as our lifestyle has change and this seems best for now. I would greatly and sincerely recommend surge brakes. Our first dolly, without surge brakes, resulted in the brakes boiling and just about failing on a long mountain road. Peddle to the floor and lots of stink...but all ended well, and I prompty traded in the old one for a new one with brakes.
I did not use the dolly lights, rather I used magnetic lights on the toad. I only plugged in the dolly lights when towing the trailer empty....seldom, as they don't ride well without a load.
Suggest you carry a spare tire for the dolly, as that size tire is not always available...another story...you can get one the next day or so, but that kills a few days of vacation, and with a spare, tire change is rather simple.
Happy Trails.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #21

I have a Master Tow with surge brakes. I can load and unload the car as fast as 4 down. In 6 years, I have only found one place, a private park, where I had to put the dolly off site. I have a small "dolly" for moving it, $39 at Northern Tool. Back the MH over tongue of dolly. No car modifications nor wear and tear. So dollies are not the evil they are made out to be, especially if you don't have the finances to buy 4 down capable vehicle and tow equipment.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We have a 2 wheel Dooley. Has electric brakes. Although not all states may require it, what do you do when you enter a state where they are?

I bought the Dolley because I knew we would be changing vehicles at some point and didn't want to be replacing mounting plates. Good thing as we just traded that vehicle in on a new car a month ago.

The other consideration was, we will always need a front wheel drive where we live on the side of a hill for winter. Dollies are perfect for front wheel drives.

Last year we went on holidays and I loaded and unloaded the car 14 times in 17 days. I have to admit the first time it took a bit of time and sweat, but by the 2nd or 3rd time, it's fairly easy and only takes a matter of minutes per wheel.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
I have a Master Tow with surge brakes. I can load and unload the car as fast as 4 down. In 6 years, I have only found one place, a private park, where I had to put the dolly off site. I have a small "dolly" for moving it, $39 at Northern Tool. Back the MH over tongue of dolly. No car modifications nor wear and tear. So dollies are not the evil they are made out to be, especially if you don't have the finances to buy 4 down capable vehicle and tow equipment.
I totally agree. We used a dolly to tow our Buick LeSabre for 5 years. In all that time we never had a problem loading, unloading or with storage. We switched to towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 down in 2005. Not because we thought it was any better or easier but primarily because you can't tow a 4 wd Jeep on a dolly.

We love off roading and it seemed pointless to tow the LeSabre half way across the country then leave it at the campground while we rented a Jeep. We still have the dolly and will use it again in a minute if we go back to towing our Buick. I like the fact that no modifications are necessary to tow the Buick. That also means nothing has to be removed when the car finally is sold.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sequim Guy, be careful, Acme was the bain of Wile E Coyote
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #25

My master tow dolly works great for me and is no problem to use and I don't add miles to my car
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Sequim Guy, be careful, Acme was the bain of Wile E Coyote

Yes, but if I remember right, the ACME products worked well, Wile E just didn't use them properly.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #27

Has anyone here used both a surge brake dolly and an electric brake dolly?
I found a trailer manufacturer in Wisconsin who sells their dolly with or without brakes. Brakes can be surge or electric.
I am planning on towing an automatic FWD Mini Clubman S and definitely want a dolly with brakes.
Car Dolly, Johnson Trailer, Colfax Wisconsin
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I had a boat with surge brakes. I liked it! No set up required.
My Dolley has electric brakes. More set up and monitoring. Adjustments needed for city and highway.