Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've towed our '05 Honda Odyssey both four down and on a dolly. In fact we just got back from a trip through CA and AZ and back to WA.

After the pounding the Ody took on the trip I had to have the alignment redone, plus the battery went dead three times (just replaced a week before we left). Yes , I know, I could install a charge line and keep the battery charged, but I sure don't want to have to redo the alignment every time we take a long trip so I'm going back to using the KK-460 dolly!

I also see a lot more rock chips on the hood of the Ody too.

The dolly follows the MH much better than the Ody four down.

I don't have to worry about the front/rear end alignment, the transmission being damaged, nor the CV joints. I don't have to remember to turn off the ignition when stopping overnight, nor to run the engine every 8 hours, nor to remember to unlock the steering every morning and run the engine again.

Yep, the dolly adds about 650#'s to the towing but we're 5,000#'s under the rating so it's no problem. Plus I don't have to store the towbar accessories and brake unit when unloaded.

I will get a moving dolly for the hitch ball as the KK-460 is hard to move uphill on gravel when at home.

As to setup time I find it's about the same by the time I install the removable brackets, hook up all the pins and wiring, run the engine and go through the gears vs the dolly setup.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #44

AZ will issue a title for a dolly, but no registration or plate.

To go along with the spare tire and lug wrench, don't forget a jack.
I got a low-to-the-ground scissor jack, hopefully I can change a dolly flat without removing car.

Wow, 650 lbs is pretty heavy, my eze-tow dolly only weighs about 400 lbs,
and I can move it from the street uphill to the garage by myself.
Then I just stand it up against the garage wall and it only sticks out about 24".

When I am in a campground, I slide the dolly up under the back of the MH and it only sticks out about 22".

Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
so what has been everyone's experience with the 10" tires on the eze-tow? thats a lot of wheel speed when you are traveling 60 mph.

know that the early tent trailers with small wheels were an accident waiting to happen.

are the tires readidly available or do you have to go thru eze-tow for a replacement?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

We are probably the odd ones here. We do both tow dolly and 4 down. It depends on what we are doing (Mom going with us or not) which vehicle we need to take. As far as easy they are about the same time to get ready and go. I acually feel more comfortable with the tow dolly than 4 down. You still need to check the hookups. You cannot back either way. For me the tow dolly is a little bit more of a problem when parked for a length of time do to its overall length. I have to push it under the rear of the MH where the tow bar just swings out of the way. I feel it is a matter of personal comfort which is better. The tow dolly can cost quite abit less. We just traded for a new Stehl that listed for $1000. Our old one had losts of rock chips which the front of the car would have taken if it was not up on the tow dolly.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #47
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EZE Tow Little Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
so what has been everyone's experience with the 10" tires on the eze-tow? thats a lot of wheel speed when you are traveling 60 mph.

know that the early tent trailers with small wheels were an accident waiting to happen.

are the tires readidly available or do you have to go thru eze-tow for a replacement?
We have had no problems - because the tires on the EZE tow are not like the tiny trailer tires of lore'...Wide and low, the aspect gives a better departure angle on the rear of the Toad. We got a spare and haven't needed to replace one yet.

See the Website: Tow Dollies with Surge Brakes from Acme Tow Dolly Company | Car Tow Dolly
Quote: Heavy Duty Special Use Tires
These low-profile tires are 10-ply and E-Rated. Each tire is rated at 1,650 lbs. and the axle has a total rating of 3,300 lbs...These are the same tires you see under very expensive boat trailers; compact but very tough 90 PSI tires (note: These are not 10 inch tires).
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We have had no problems - because the tires on the EZE tow are not like the tiny trailer tires of lore'...Wide and low, the aspect gives a better departure angle on the rear of the Toad. We got a spare and haven't needed to replace one yet.

See the Website: Tow Dollies with Surge Brakes from Acme Tow Dolly Company | Car Tow Dolly
Quote: Heavy Duty Special Use Tires
These low-profile tires are 10-ply and E-Rated. Each tire is rated at 1,650 lbs. and the axle has a total rating of 3,300 lbs...These are the same tires you see under very expensive boat trailers; compact but very tough 90 PSI tires (note: These are not 10 inch tires).

also, does the spare tire mount to the dolly? or do you haul it elsewhere?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #49

My EZE-Tow spare fits flat in a storage bay with room to spare (there's no room for it on the tongue with the ramps stored there and I wouldn't want the extra tongue weight anyway).
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
also, does the spare tire mount to the dolly? or do you haul it elsewhere?
The spare is an option, and so I think they didn't engineer the carrier, but I bet it would be an easy fix with a prefab spare carrier that bolts to the tongue...I think...but, I haven't measured...the tire is pretty small.

But ya'know, I don't even leave the ramps on the mount...I have everything in one of the long/low bins in the MH. I lock-up the straps and chains in the same bin when the Toad is unloaded.

I don't know how much the tongue weight would be impacted if you were to mount the spare on the tongue, 'cuz the whole thing is so light. MOst all the weight of the Toad is all on the Dolly axle.

But I will offer that since there's no built-in stand on the tongue of the dolly, the spare could be mounted in a particular way to hold the whole front end (surge brake set-up; hitch and master cylinder) off the ground when unhooked from the MH.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #51

Hmmm. I bought mine new and it came with a spare.

I should have said that mounting it on the tongue would add to the empty tongue weight. I find it's pretty heavy empty. But I'm not the guy I used to be, so the weight might not be a problem for someone younger.

So I'd like to have a jack stand, but mounting the spare on the frame to use it for that purpose might cause it to drag getting in and out of my driveway. The hitch only has a few inches clearance as it is.

As they say, your experience may vary. Mine usually does.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow on all 4, but I'm a bit of an rv snob, I justst think it's more sleak, I think dollies are tacky. With that being said, I paid 2300 for my set up and will prob have a similar investment when I buy a new toad, where as a dolly is basically a one time purchase, but I'm young and take money for granted so I'll prob pay for my next set up with out blinking. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
I tow on all 4, but I'm a bit of an rv snob, I justst think it's more sleak, I think dollies are tacky. With that being said, I paid 2300 for my set up and will prob have a similar investment when I buy a new toad, where as a dolly is basically a one time purchase, but I'm young and take money for granted so I'll prob pay for my next set up with out blinking. Just my 2 cents

OMG..... You are me 30 years ago, only I was a car snob and had to
have the most bad-azz cars I could get.
Your opinions of a dolly are fine with me, to each his own....
But when you get my age and the big bucks don't flow in like they used to,
sometimes you are a little more careful with your money....
The main thing is to have fun at what ever speed you can afford...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the Demco KK-460 you can get both a wheel/tire carrier and a tool box. Both mount to the tongue. I carry my tools in the MH and I haven't had a tire problem on the MH or dolly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #55

Tony H is correct, you now get the spare tire & rim and LED lights included
in the price of the dolly. That is something fairly recent as I paid extra for
both for my dolly.
I never thought about it until I read this thread, but maybe you could mount
the spare where the ramps are meant to mount on the front of dolly. But
there again, added weight when moving by hand
My ramps go in back of toad when traveling, then in lower storage when
parked, or on ground in front of mud flap. (hard to see them there)
The spare has always been in lower storage.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ok, last question. how about a rock guard? My MH has flaps behind the duals, but not the big wide one in the back. i'll be towing a Honda Fit that has a rather large windshield for the size of a car it is. do normally the flaps i have work, or is there something better?

since i plan on using a dolly, appears i can't use the shield that goes horizontally between the hitch and the dolly? correct?

is there something better to use with a dolly. do hate to spend the $500 or so for the shield that CW sells.