Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #15

Toad before the Coach............

We just bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk on Saturday to be our toad. As noted, yes, the cart before the horse since we won't take delivery of our 31SA until March. Unfortunately, our 2012 Mercedes GLK could not be flat towed............... Got a great price on the Trailhawk and our trade too.

It seemed to us that the Jeeps with the proper transfer case are about the easiest new cars to tow flat. Our RV dealer has given us a quote on a BlueOx system with the Duo Stay-In-Play brake system.............

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
2010 GMC Acadia. Comfort, and AWD.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think one of the reasons Jeep owners say there is more Jeeps towed than other vehicles is because you tend to notice vehicles similar to your own when traveling down the road and not notice others. When we became aware of the Chevy Captiva at our local dealership we had never heard of or seen one before. Now that we own one we notice others all the time. The main thing is to get a vehicle that you can be happy with when you are not towing, which will probably be over 99% of the total time you will own the vehicle, that is also flat towable for the less than 1% of the total time you own the vehicle, but need to tow it. We're very happy with our choice but I'm sure I could be just as happy with other vehicles.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
..........you tend to notice vehicles similar to your own when traveling down the road and not notice others.......... Now that we own one we notice others all the time.

The main thing is to get a vehicle that you can be happy with when you are not towing, which will probably be over 99% of the total time you will own the vehicle........
Very good / interesting points.

While we had not yet ordered our Tiffin (our first RV) when we drove from Atlanta to Tampa over Thanknsgiving, all we did was count RVs and note their toads. Something we had never paid attention to in the past (RVs, much less what they were pulling). But so very true of the other cars we drive / have driven too......

We chose the Cherokee Trailhawk for several reasons other than they are really set up to be towed; it is our "practical" 4 door everyday and very similar in size to the GLK we had been so happy with. And being able to surf on our beach trips with 10' surfboards makes having an SUV with roof racks very important. We also want to do some trails, particularly out west once we hit the road for extended travel in 2016. On the other hand, I kind of wanted to go with a Miata so I could really enjoy the twisty mountain roads!

Regards and happy holidays!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #19

We have a Jeep Wrangler - 4 door - that we tow. We have towed (2) Suzuki - A Sidekick and a Grand Vitara. Additionally we towed a Chevy Trailblazer a few years ago. Just check the RV towing guide and go from there. Be sure to check and see how far you can tow the car before you need to stop and start the engine to lube the tranny. On the Suzuki's it was every 200 mile with a limit on speed of 55 mpg. Of course that was to cover Suzuki's butt however it was in manual/warranty that way. On the Jeeps it is any speed for any time. I have towed it for 3 days when in a hurry at 75 mpg and never had a problem.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
I purchased a 2014 Capitva. This is the TRUE equivalent of the old Saturn Vue - Not the Equinox as stated. in fact go over to the Blue Ox web site and download the base plate instructions for the Captiva. It is also titled for the Vue. I have the LTZ trim. Great car to tow and ride in.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317, 2014 Captiva
It never ceases to amaze me that people with a little knowledge seem to be able to apply that to a broader perspective. I don't know what base plates fit the 2014 Captiva, but I do know that the 2008 and 2009 Saturn Vue are the exact twin of the same year Chevy Equinox. You can take body parts off of one and put it on the other. Since no Saturn Vues were made after 2009, I'm not sure if you can compare anything made in 2014.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
2008 Ford Edge, Roadmsster base plate, with RM all terrain tow bar. Place in neutral, turn the key to aux, that's it get in and go. Towing the same car for over four years. Plenty of room.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #22

the "best" is always subjective... to one the best may not be the best for others. there are too many factors to make up one's mind on what to choose. that is the reason you see recommendations all over the places.

generally speaking, the majority of people have jeep xxx. more likely those have a class a, the biggie. the runner up is probably honda crv (up to 2014), for class a or c. the rest is spreaded among many from small fortwo, metro to jumbo suvs/hd trucks. each has its own place in the chart. you really need to know what to achieve and how to use it.

for me, fit is fine and it serves me well. but i did notice it's kinda too low. if i had to start over, i would probably take a crv.

whatever you choose, be happy and enjoy life in rving.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #23

I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX AWD and 2009 GMC Sierra 4x4 Truck that both tow really nice.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We chose a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. Comfortable and quick daily driver. Roadmaster Blackhawk towbar. Just like the Edge as mentioned before, put in neutral and turn on accessory and go.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #25

We did tow a '13 2wd SRX it was an extremely easy car to hook and unhook the keyless start had a lot to do with that. We needed more space and traded to a '14 RAM EcoDiesel 4x4. It also uses a keyless ignition and its very easy to hook and unhook. We use a brake system which runs off the coach air brakes so no need for power from the toad.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We just picked up a 2014 Jeep Trailhawk to pull behind our coach. Looked at many different SUV's and trucks as we want to take our kayaks with us. This was the best choice we found. Easy to put the transfer case in neutral and no need to leave the key in, pull a fuse or disconnect the battery. It is comfortable to drive and has 4 doors to carry friends. Also decent cargo space in the back.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:53 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed a Chevy Lumina APV with an axle lock (Tow in park, note axle lock doubles as an anti-theft device but disables transmission park so you need to use parking brake)

I now tow a 2001 Dodge Neon with an LP-1 Lube Pump kit.

Best car to tow (Alas, the one I bought did not make it to towed, long story) most any 4WD JEEP with a manual transfer case.

NOTE: NOT all can be towed,, There was one model of transfer case (manual) that can not,, and any All Wheel Drive (automatic transfer) can not, and 2wd Jeeps (postal) can not. But most 4WD manual transfer can by simply putting the transfer case in neutral and leaving the ignition in the off (not locked) position.

Why is this the best? Well there are several magazines like Car and Driver, Road and Track, and such, dedicated to car lovers.. Some of them do a "Bang for the Buck" contest,, They take "Hot" cars like Mustangs, Corvetts, and other competitors in that class, and.. JEEPS.

They have drivers drive them for a while and rate them for both comfort and how much fun they are to drive.

They take the fun and divide by the cost

Jeeps do not cost all that much when compared to the flashy cars

And they are a whole lot of fun..... So they win.. Wheels down.
(Which in synonymous with hands down in this case).

Tags
tow