Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Need mechanic to install towing equipment

I picked up my new 2012 Smart fortwo Wed and I have the Ready Brute Elite towbar/braking system, toad protector, wiring harness, and the proper Demco baseplate. Now all I need is help getting everything installed.

I'm currently in Pottsboro, TX and need to be in Conroe, TX by Wed. The only place I could find near here wants almost $700 to install the baseplate alone. Demco says it's a 3.5 - 4 hour job. That price seems outrageous.

So for now the plan is to rent a U-haul trailer to get the car to Conroe where I'll have several months to get everything installed.

Does anyone know a good mechanic in Conroe? The baseplate came with detailed installation instructions with photos showing each step. It seems to me that any good mechanic could install this. I am almost tempted to try it myself.

A mechanic near the route I plan to take would work if they could get me done by Wed. (US-75 to I-45)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might try Russell RV in Conroe if you don't have it installed by the time you get here. I would think that at their rates and the estimated time they would have you installed in the neighborhood of $400. You can call them at 936-788-7799. Mike is the service manager and I forget his new assistant's name. I have had several repairs made there and have been very happy with their service on both a trailer and a motorhome. Nice people.

Good luck and safe travels!

P.S.
I have no interest in their operation other than being a satisfied customer.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After rereading your post I need to clarify my comment. The $400 I referred to was for the base plate installation only. If memory serves me correctly their rate is roughly $100 per hour, just like all the others around here.
Call and talk to them.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my selling dealers body shop install mine. They are familiar with the front end parts. I also made it part of the sale.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, towing