Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #15

Love my RVI2 brake system. Easy to set up, portable, sensitivity and amount of braking easy to select. Great wireless monitor. Exceptional customer support.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #16

So are the folks using the RV1 brake system versus a system that is permanent enjoying having to remove the portable system?
I will be towing a Jeep Trailhawk with a DP. Not comfortable about cutting into air lines and such on coach. Want a simple system but not happy either about reaching down to my brake pedal and connecting/disconnecting a brake system when I want to use the toad.

gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
So are the folks using the RV1 brake system versus a system that is permanent enjoying having to remove the portable system?
I will be towing a Jeep Trailhawk with a DP. Not comfortable about cutting into air lines and such on coach. Want a simple system but not happy either about reaching down to my brake pedal and connecting/disconnecting a brake system when I want to use the toad.
The system installs/removes in about 1 minute! Look at their website, they have "video tips" on their system that show installation.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to DavidPP Send a message via Yahoo to DavidPP
You can purchase the RVi2 System for about $1200. It installs in less than a minute and just as easy to remove.
You can use it in multiple tow vehicles if necessary.
Beats the crap out of paying $1200 plus for a fixed system and several hundred dollars labor for installation. You cannot use fixed systems in multiple vehicles and if you trade in your Toad you have to pay to have the fixed system removed and installed in the new Toad.
I was using the Even Brake for the past twelve years and after it died the third time I switched to the RVi2 over a year ago. It is small, light weight, works flawlessly, it can be adjusted and the settings changed from the cockpit and RVi2 has great customer service. RVi2 sends out a monthly tips newsletter with videos to update you on the use of the system and its features.

05 Monaco Exec 45CAQ/08 JEEP Commander
DavidPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
No, I don't like having to install it, and remove it every time. If anybody said that they did, I would question what they did for fun In my case, I was setting up our first toad, and it happened to be a brand new Jeep Cherokee. It had less than 1,500 miles on it, when I started the process. The less intrusive it could be, the better I liked it.

Keeping it simple (less intrusive) also allowed me to perform most of the install myself. When you run into $125 an hour labor rates, it doesn't take long for the install price to balloon up to a pocket draining figure.

If you can do the work yourself, you will get a much better job than if you pay someone to do it.

All that being said, Will you be full timing? Most times when we are on the road, or in transit between home and our destination, the Cherokee stays hooked up. I have a charge line to the toad, although after 10 hours on the road, the battery in the Cherokee wasn't phased at all by amount of juice that the Rvi Brake had used. So I install it when we leave home, and remove it when we get where we're going. It takes longer to cycle the Rvi Brake three times, to auto position and depleat the vacuum reserve in the brake system, than it does to install it. I already commented on the other advantages of the Rvi Brake in a previous post. It's light weight, easy to install, uses very little power and it is controlable and adjustable from the coach.

It all boils down to personal preference. They will all perform the function of stopping the toad. If you're on a budget, the Rvi Brake and Ready Brake/Ready Brute systems, are top sellers. If money isn't a concern, SMI Air Force One or Stay-N-Play Duo are nice units. In my case, our Bay Star is a V10 coach, so the Duo would be my choice.

The choice is up to you. Let us know which way you go.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPP View Post
Beats the crap out of paying $1200 plus for a fixed system and several hundred dollars labor for installation.

I paid $500 ($200 credit for the old one) for my M&G Engineering system and installed it myself in 2 hours. This system is truly proportional braking system, does not use any toad battery voltage and just about fool proof. Nothing beats the ease of just connecting one 1/4 inch diameter airline quick disconnect and you are ready to go.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #21

We just bought our first MH and went through this exercise. Some of our requirements were that we didn't want to take something in and out every time we wanted to use the toad, simple to hook up. We went with the Ready Brake Elite system. Nothing to drag in and out of the toad. Unhitch and go....

Tags
brake, toad