Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #1

Need the most basic advice learning about towing

We have to delay our DP purchase so I have to go with the current MH which is a 98 National Dolphin 33' with an 8 cylinder gas engine. Sticker at tow receiver says max load 5,000 lbs.

14 CRV AWD auto transmission with all wheels down CRV weighs 4564 GVWR.
Nothing installed on the CRV right now.

I don't know what the MH will need . It has a round outlet. There is a black and a white wire wrapped around the receiver not attached to anything but apparently one end of each was once attached to the outer ring of the wiring socket.

I don't have any experience with towing so need advice starting with the basics on what needs to be done with the MH and car-what type to buy etc.

I don't mind spending money on the CRV but would like minimal cost to the MH since we are selling it. I like the invisibrake system but don't know if the CRV has a compatible braking system. It also appears the MH will need to be wired for the dash alerting system for the Invisibrake which is a minus for this system.

I am not good at DIY so will be using CW and would like to have some basic idea of what to ask for when I go there.

Start at the beginning please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	138628  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In your case I would susgest Redybrute Elite tow bar and tow brake system but buy from Amazon to save $, also I would find someone rather than Campingworld unless they have a mechanic installer that you trust . This system will work with both coaches without any problem all you would need to do is move the tow bat but I would suggest Roadmaster brackets for the toad and I would go with the EZ5.
When you get the other coach you will need to run a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery as the battery will probably be dead on long tows without it, for now just stop every 200 to 300 miles and idle the toad to keep charged up.

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/R...V_Tow_Bar.html

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Stay away from Camping world if you want a quality job, or a fair price, or if you want it completed before next Spring . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

I recommend you start with a base plate on the CRV...both Blue Ox and Roadmaster are popular depending on your vehicle and availability. This stays with the CRV regardless of which Motor Home you use to pull it. You can get the installer to wire the lights in the CRV at the same time.

Then you will need a tow bar compatible with the base plate.

Then a braking system for the toad.

And finally someone to check your motor home wiring at the 7 pin connector before your plug anything into it...most don't have those extra wires hanging so they need to be identified. I suspect the white is ground and the black is 12 volt, probably added to charge the toad battery but don't assume anything, check them out with a volt meter. Charge and ground lines can be properly run through the 7 pin without the need for dangling wires.

There are countless threads on this forum regarding tow bars, base plates and braking systems. Also check the etrailer web site and see what is available for the CRV. They also have installation videos which might help explain some of how things work. Lots of Youtube videos too.

Good Luck
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice.

I am leaning towards the Readybrake system.

I will stay away from CW. A mom and pop hitch shop I did business with long ago is still around and they are a dealer for both NSA and Roadmaster. I'll go by there tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We have to delay our DP purchase so I have to go with the current MH which is a 98 National Dolphin 33' with an 8 cylinder gas engine. Sticker at tow receiver says max load 5,000 lbs.

14 CRV AWD auto transmission with all wheels down CRV weighs 4564 GVWR.

RMD3819
The "Curb Weight", (aka; what a CRV weighs), is between 3,305 and 3,529 lbs. (depending on the model and the factory accessories installed).

The 4564 lb. figure is the GVWR, (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), which is the maximum operating weight of the CRV..including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo...(NOT what the CRV weighs).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

I am leaning towards the Readybrake system.

I will stay away from CW. A mom and pop hitch shop I did business with long ago is still around and they are a dealer for both NSA and Roadmaster. I'll go by there tomorrow.
I just came from there and spoke to the owner who has been doing this 40+ years.

He never heard of the NSA Readybrake system but can order them.

He suggests the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and baseplate with the Stay N Play braking system. ~$3400 out the door

My hesitation with this is I could save roughly $1200 with the Readybrake, probably less once you factor in labor.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

I have the readybrake and love it, but go to the NSA website and download the instructions.

The installation is very easy, but you do need to drill a couple of small holes, one in the footwell behind your brake pedal and one in the center of your front bumper. Once that is done, connecting the brake is just a clip when you're connecting the rest of the tow bar. It's about as simple as it gets if you don't mind drilling a couple of holes.

I'd also recommend the NSA breakaway system. Similar idea.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #9

I already have a Roadmaster towbar along with a Roadmaster Even Brake.

I see that ReadyBrake has a Towed Vehicle Supplemental receiver and ball system for around $500.00.

Are there any pros and cons of the ReadyBrake when compared to a portable electric system such as the Even Brake?

The ReadyBrake appears to be more portable, taking up less space, but can't be adjusted from inside the towing vehicle.

I read somewhere it extends the tow bar approx. one foot?

I like the idea of not relying on 12 volts (electric). Does the ReadyBrake towed vehicle supplemental receiver and ball perform system perform the same as a portable electric?

When I tow I do once in a while back up a couple of feet or so in order to manoeuvrer, such as when turning around, etc.

From ReadyBrake's website:

"We do not recommend backing up your motor home with a vehicle in tow. The ReadyBrake must be disabled prior to backing up if it is absolutely necessary. Brake drag will occur if you back up using the ReadyBrake because once it activates the brake your towed vehicle will not move backwards anymore as the brake is held down resulting in a crumpled tow bar or worse."

The Readybrake system passed testing for drag when descending on a hill. I'm not certain if an electric brake is also tested for drag. I've haven't experienced drag while using an Even Brake.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #10

[QUOTE=user293;3253494]I already have a Roadmaster towbar along with a Roadmaster Even Brake.

When I tow I do once in a while back up a couple of feet or so in order to manoeuvrer, such as when turning around, etc.

From ReadyBrake's website:
"We do not recommend backing up your motor home with a vehicle in tow. The ReadyBrake must be disabled prior to backing up if it is absolutely necessary. Brake drag will occur if you back up using the ReadyBrake because once it activates the brake your towed vehicle will not move backwards anymore as the brake is held down resulting in a crumpled tow bar or worse."

user293
"Backing up" a motor home with a toad attached with any brand of tow bar is not a good idea.
All tow bars are easily damaged or destroyed, (bent) when "backing up".
Mel
'96 Safari, 120k miles towing with a Roadmaster tow bar, no aux brakes.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
I just came from there and spoke to the owner who has been doing this 40+ years.

He never heard of the NSA Readybrake system but can order them.

He suggests the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and baseplate with the Stay N Play braking system. ~$3400 out the door

My hesitation with this is I could save roughly $1200 with the Readybrake, probably less once you factor in labor.

Thoughts?
Not to open a can of worms, but use the search bar above and type in "tow bar failure" which will give you threads discussing two bar failures on IRV2 . . .

Blue Ox features prominently in most of the threads. Personally I would look at another brand.

You might also want to consider how different manufacturers stand behind their tow bars . . . check out the threads and you will see that not all manufacturers are equal in customer service. JMHO!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #12

[QUOTE=mel s;3253602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by user293 View Post
I already have a Roadmaster towbar along with a Roadmaster Even Brake.

"Backing up" a motor home with a toad attached with any brand of tow bar is not a good idea.
All tow bars are easily damaged or destroyed, (bent) when "backing up".
Mel
'96 Safari, 120k miles towing with a Roadmaster tow bar, no aux brakes.
Yes your correct, most of the time I don't back up at all. I'll sometimes travel ~20+ miles to turn a round. However I can remember being on a winding mountain road high in the Cascades I needed to back up a foot or two to get out of a situation to avoid an accident with other vehicles on the road. I needed to be real careful as the tow vehicle front tires have a a tendency to turn in one direction or the other when going backwards.

I don't recommend backup up, but in an emergency such as to avoid accidents it may be necessary. It's not impossible to backup, does take some skill level, and can be very tricky.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #13

Another backing up story. Several years ago, I got into a situation where I could not make a u-turn in a sandy/gravel parking lot. However, I was able to back up several feet and pull ahead several times to maneuver the coach and 6300# Avalanche until I was turned around. The front wheels turned a couple of times, but I caught it when they did and turned them straight. I do not recommend doing this, but it can be done if one is very watchful. I should mention that this maneuver was done with my trusty 12 year old Blue Ox tow bar. No bent arms. No broken welds. After I had the bushings replaced, I gave it to a friend and it is still in use.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Another backing up story. Several years ago, I got into a situation where I could not make a u-turn in a sandy/gravel parking lot. However, I was able to back up several feet and pull ahead several times to maneuver the coach and 6300# Avalanche until I was turned around. The front wheels turned a couple of times, but I caught it when they did and turned them straight. I do not recommend doing this, but it can be done if one is very watchful. I should mention that this maneuver was done with my trusty 12 year old Blue Ox tow bar. No bent arms. No broken welds. After I had the bushings replaced, I gave it to a friend and it is still in use.
Because backing a coach with a toad attached can easily cause damage... the few times I've gotten my coach with toad attached into a situation that required backing up... I simply disconnected the toad before I backed the coach....and reconnected it after I finished backing up.
Mel
'96 Safari 120k miles towing

Tags
advice, tow, towing