Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #29

Try it before you buy

Try it out before you buy a dolly. Go to U-Haul and rent a dolly for a test run with the Venza on it. You are only out a hundred or so bucks to test the "hassle" factor of a dolly.

Heck, you can even try renting a U-Haul car trailer too if that seems like a an idea you would like to try.

v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #30

Hello I will 2nd with what SMRDNR says I tow 4 wheels down the Dolly is a pain in the ass what do you do with it after unhooking, your making several moves with the dolly afterwards.Much easier with a 4 wheel down truck or car unhook and your done. thats my nickels worth. since we no longer use the penny.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm still young and able, I own two different cars and I'm not a full timer so towing 4 down wasn't a real option for me. I have a Kar Kaddy SS and can bring either car I want or I tow a trailer with my bike in it.

Setting it up takes a good 15 minutes including hooking up the dolly. I've owned it for two seasons now and have used it only three times. I paid $2400 new and can sell it tomorrow for at least $2000. When I tow my bike I can rent a car at my destination which is a pretty easy thing to do.

If I were old or full timing I would tow 4 down but in my case I just want to be able to bring either car and the dolly is just too easy right now.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #32

I think this could go on forever. The real question you have to ask yourself is do I want another thing to deal with at the campground? I tow a open trailer when we take a once a year camping trip. We have never had any problems yet and I like the fact that I can back up when I have to.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have always towed 4 down. Hook up and unhooking so much easier. With a Dolly you have to find a place for it to sit while at the campsite. We tow a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Jeep is the way to go. My vote is for 4 down
boxhauler767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #34

I had a tow dolly.Couln'd wait to get rid of it. I had severel cars and they all had their problems towing with the dolly. I now tow on all 4 .Remember you need a standard tranny or you have to do a lot of connecting or disconnecting of driveshafts. Cheers Gerald
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Your New to RVing, go with a Dolley, this way you can tow just about anything and if you change vehicles no problem.

If you decide to go full time or want to switch to 4 down they are easy to sell.

Tow bars plates and wire harnesses are vehicle specific and when you change vehicle you have to buy more parts.

I went with a KarKaddy SS got a great deal from PPLMotorhomes, 5 minutes to load up and tied down after the first time which took 15 minutes because I was reading the instructions on the fender.

2600 Miles on the first trip and it was Perfect, no regrets and looking forward to the next trip.

Ted.
I would agree. We used a dolly to tow our Buick over 25,000 miles and never had a problem. Later we switched to towing a Jeep 4 down. I would have continued to use the dolly but it isn't an option for towing a 4wd Jeep. We still have the dolly and will probably switch back to towing another Buick at some time.

Since you're new to the game the dolly would be the less expensive introduction. It will also allow you to tow a number of different cars without additional expense. Should you decide you don't like the RV lifestyle or prefer not to tow in the future you won't have invested over $10,000.00 in a depreciating asset.

In addition to the purchase price of the Jeep and the towing hardware there's the contimued expense of insurance, maintenance and license. If you plan to replace the Toyota with the Jeep it's a wash, but if you plan to keep both it's added expense.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
I had a tow dolly.Couln'd wait to get rid of it. I had severel cars and they all had their problems towing with the dolly. I now tow on all 4 .Remember you need a standard tranny or you have to do a lot of connecting or disconnecting of driveshafts. Cheers Gerald
May have been more the design of the dolly, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the KarKaddy SS is the Bomb.

I had to keep my back up camera on so I would remember it was there.

Could not feel it 1 bit, and it Tracks Perfect.

Ted.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
May have been more the design of the dolly, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the KarKaddy SS is the Bomb.

I had to keep my back up camera on so I would remember it was there.

Could not feel it 1 bit, and it Tracks Perfect.

Ted.
I agree with this, I tried 2 other dollies before buying the Kar Kaddy SS and it's very simple to load, pulls great and you don't even know it's there.

Also with the SS it folds in half so I just back into the campsite, disconnect, fold it and then back the MH up the rest of the way. No need to store the dolly anywhere else.