Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I thought of that, but when I sketch it out, it doesn't provide power to the other side of the original fuse socket. If you can handle a Dremel tool, you could try drilling a blown micro fuse and connecting the blade wires of the Roadmaster switch to the blown fuse and installing it in the fuse holder. A true example of micro surgery!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #16

Actually I think it does. There are two locations for fuses. One location is for the original socket and the second is for the added power line. I would put a dummy blown fuse in the added line so there was no power on the red wire and insert the spades from the roadmaster fuse switch which would make or break the original connection.

I showed you the wrong one, the CRV has a low profile mini not the micro fuse. I ordered one it was only $5.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
You're right, I was hung up by the single red wire off the fuse tap. Inserting the spades of the Roadmaster switch should do the job. I don't think you'll even need the blown fuse, just leave that fuse holder open.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #18

Wish I had know this yesterday.....Installed($%^%&*&*) the Fusemaster in our CRV since we had a dead battery twice. Live and learn..........

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #19

I have just researched this and verified with the service manager in Portland, Oregon who happens to own an Acadia. Mine is a 2016. He said the fuses by the battery behind the passenger seat are for the OnStar and Navigations systems as well as the options pertaining to the collision alert and side traffic alert. The fuse under the hood is for the ignition system and does not cut off power to the aforementioned options. He also said the reason for pulling the fuses was to prevent battery drain and for no other reason. The ignition is in the on position while towing so all of the options would still be energized. He felt a Towed Battery Charger such as the Rvi TBC should prevent the battery from significantly from discharging. By the way, in this thread, there were three fuses identified and those are correct for the 2015-16 models--I don't know about years previous to that.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobob View Post
I have just researched this and verified with the service manager in Portland, Oregon who happens to own an Acadia. Mine is a 2016. He said the fuses by the battery behind the passenger seat are for the OnStar and Navigations systems as well as the options pertaining to the collision alert and side traffic alert. The fuse under the hood is for the ignition system and does not cut off power to the aforementioned options. He also said the reason for pulling the fuses was to prevent battery drain and for no other reason. The ignition is in the on position while towing so all of the options would still be energized. He felt a Towed Battery Charger such as the Rvi TBC should prevent the battery from significantly from discharging. By the way, in this thread, there were three fuses identified and those are correct for the 2015-16 models--I don't know about years previous to that.
I have ordered fuse switches for my 2014 Acadia. My Owner's Manual says to pull the BATT1 fuse under the hood and the two fuses in the battery compartment. I am leaving on a trip to Florida next week and I hope to answer my two concerns:

1. Will my battery discharge even with these three fuses pulled?

2. Will my Acadia accumulate mileage while I am towing?

I think I will be OK on both issues, but if not, I will install a trickle charger when I get back. I will let everyone know!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #21

Does anyone else take a batter charger/boost with them just in case?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambob View Post
I have ordered fuse switches for my 2014 Acadia. My Owner's Manual says to pull the BATT1 fuse under the hood and the two fuses in the battery compartment. I am leaving on a trip to Florida next week and I hope to answer my two concerns:

1. Will my battery discharge even with these three fuses pulled?

2. Will my Acadia accumulate mileage while I am towing?

I think I will be OK on both issues, but if not, I will install a trickle charger when I get back. I will let everyone know!
I only have to pull two fuses on my 2010 Enclave but it does not accumulate mileage or run the battery down. I have made two trips now and have not had an issue except the first time when I switched off the Batt 1 before I switched off the ECM. Last time I did them in the correct order and did not have a problem.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #23

SMI Stay N Play Duo

Just had this system installed about three weeks ago. We're on are way to FL & stuck in Kentucky. The brakes on my 2012 Jeep Liberty are not working because the battery is dead! I called SMI & they said the installer should have installed a charge wire!!! Is there a quick fix until I get to FL? Can I run a wire from my chassis batteries to the car battery? Thanks for any help
Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
countrypair-

I have the Duo, as well.

Short-term, I'd get a small charger and use it on your Jeep at the end of each day.

Long-term, if your coach has a 7-pin connector you probably already have a properly-fused charge wire from the coach to the trailer plug. You just need to get that to the Jeep's battery. You may want to put a "Toad Charge" in that circuit (under the hood of the Jeep); it prevents the toad from trying to feed 12V to the coach battery.

If you have other questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Mark
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
Just had this system installed about three weeks ago. We're on are way to FL & stuck in Kentucky. The brakes on my 2012 Jeep Liberty are not working because the battery is dead! I called SMI & they said the installer should have installed a charge wire!!! Is there a quick fix until I get to FL? Can I run a wire from my chassis batteries to the car battery? Thanks for any help
You can run wires from the chassis batteries to the toad. You'll need a positive and ground wire. You could use polarized plugs like these:

Amazon.com: Allstar Performance ALL76232 Universal Two Wire Connector with 12" Loop: Automotive

I would also install auto reset circuit breakers in the wires to prevent too much current flowing between the batteries. The only time this could happen would be during starting the Cummins engine. Then the toad could feed back to the RV, but the circuit breakers would prevent too much current flow. I see no need for a $50 'Toad Charge' which is nothing more than a diode and some pretty LED lights.

This is how I've towed my VW Beetle from coast to coast, and it's never been an issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #26

I also have the Duo and asked the RV center about a charge wire. What I got was a lecture on the sire being too small to do much good in charging the toad battery. I knew it was all BS but figured if the guy didn't want to install a charge wire I would take care of it later, or just keep a charger with me.

All that being said, if the Duo only draws current when you are stopping it shouldn't run the batter down very quickly, unless the parasitic loads are too high.

Has anyone else with the Duo had issues with draining the battery?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #27

Back in post 14 I mentioned the difficulty I was having getting the small pins of my RM remote fuse switch to seat well in the fuse panel. These pis are designed to slide into a mini fuse holder and I am sure they work well there. My CRV however has the low profile mini fuse holder. This means there is very little plastic surrounding the spot where these pins need to be inserted.

I ended up buying one of these New Add A Circuit Blade Style ATR Apt Micro 2 Fusetap Fuse Tap 5Amp Fuse | eBay Since I didn't need the added circuit i cut the red wire off. Although is isn't any better for seating the pins form the fuse switch they can be inserted without standing on your head and the device can then be inserted in to the fuse position.

It works better but barely so. I had to pinch the contacts together so the pins would be more firmly set in the adapter.

What a pain!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tim-

When I installed the Duo I added a charge line to the toad. I was not sure if the battery would last through a full night's tow. I asked the question: How would I know the battery was no longer working from the coach's driver's seat?

The positive news for you is that Ford provides a fused charge line of suitable size wire to near the rear of your motorhome.

Mark

Tags
fuse