Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Tim-

When I installed the Duo I added a charge line to the toad. I was not sure if the battery would last through a full night's tow. I asked the question: How would I know the battery was no longer working from the coach's driver's seat?

The positive news for you is that Ford provides a fused charge line of suitable size wire to near the rear of your motorhome.

Mark
I guess you're talking about the battery in the toad? My Roadmaster Brake Pro has a wireless transmitter that signals if the auxiliary brake isn't functioning, including low battery. I know of some folks that rig a LED or light on the dash that is visible in the rear camera.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #30

Mine has an LED light bar about 3" long that lets you know when the toad brakes are on. This is to let you now if they are coming on when needed and staying of when not needed.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #31

I put in a battery charger

I have a 2016 Acadia. I run a 12v line from my Motorhome using a 6 position round from the Motorhome to a 5 flat connector on the car. . On my Acadia I installed a battery charger connecting the leads into the firewall for a ground and to the positive jump start terminal. All of this in the engine compartment. I have taken two trips and I have pulled no fuses and the battery seems fine when I arrived. The dash lights are on because the key is in the on position so the steering wheel does not lock and the car is in neutral. The charge from the charging unit seems to keep pace with the discharge from those items that are on such as the OnStar. It seems a good way to go.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #32

I run a charge line to my toad. I used a large diode in the charge line. Although Ford shuts off that charge line when the ignition is off the toad battery will feed voltage back to the other side of that relay in the MH. Items that require ignition switch on will be activated by the toad battery. The diode solves the problem. I installed a large diode in a small plastic box. Everything available at Radio Shack.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So far I've not seen anything that wouldn't be cured by a charge wire to the RV. The only issue brought up earlier was that the odometer would register miles towed, but is the ECM fuse going to stop that? The OnStar fuse shouldn't need to be pulled, I don't think it would be that big of an energy consumer while on standby. Still no explanation of what the 50 amp BATT1 fuse controls.
Having difficulty getting info. on my problem?, so picked a recent post I installed 7blade receptacle on 4 wire Ford Escape. I wanted a charge line to toad battery, since anything over 4 hrs driving killed the toad battery. When I put a 20 amp fused connector to the pos. terminal, and finished ringing out the wiring, the toad battery was feeding back and powering lights on the '05 Safari Cheeta. I'm not sure if this is a problem, since the umbilical would be disconnected when parked, and when towing, the voltage from the MH would be higher. However, if you stopped for lunch, the MH lights would be powered. Should in install diode in the charge line, or relay??
Old 10-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Having difficulty getting info. on my problem?, so picked a recent post I installed 7blade receptacle on 4 wire Ford Escape. I wanted a charge line to toad battery, since anything over 4 hrs driving killed the toad battery. When I put a 20 amp fused connector to the pos. terminal, and finished ringing out the wiring, the toad battery was feeding back and powering lights on the '05 Safari Cheeta. I'm not sure if this is a problem, since the umbilical would be disconnected when parked, and when towing, the voltage from the MH would be higher. However, if you stopped for lunch, the MH lights would be powered. Should in install diode in the charge line, or relay??
By disconnecting one terminal at a time, you should be able to identify how the toad battery is feeding back and connecting to the RV's lights. Something isn't correct in either the wiring or the connectors between the vehicles. Yes, a diode would stop the feedback, but diodes also reduce electric flow forward to a slight degree. I'd think it would be better to identify the source.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
philand-

Some people install a diode,some the Toad Charge, to eliminate sending battery current from the toad to the coach. Note that it's possible to buy the Toad Charge without the wiring, if you already have that in place.

I agree with Bob ("BFlinn181"). I can't think of how the battery charge connection would cause lights on the motorhome to activate. Here's what can cause weird cross-connection problems, though- a poor ground at either end

Mark
Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #36

when you turn your MH ignition off all power to assessories for MH are off. OK now add in the charge line. Now when the MH ignition switch is off the toad battery feeds back power to the other side of the MH assessory switch. It has absolutely nothing to do with a bad ground. The MH and toad are common ground. SOLUTION!!!!!! Add a diode in the charge line at the toad. Diode and small box about $6 or you can buy the same thing called a "toad charge" in a ready made box for $110. Your choice. I chose and built a diode in a box for $6. No problems with 2 years of use. I can't believe that RVers are paying $110 for the toad charge. Totally worthless and not needed. I have a voltage regulator in my MH and in my toad. Why in the world would I need a third voltage regulator with a diode? All I need is the diode.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems to me a lot depends on where you get the 12 v (+). On my RV, the chassis batteries are in the back so I hooked up directly to the battery terminal, with an auto reset circuit breaker to reduce the amount of power that could flow through the wire. If you're hooking into a circuit that would allow feedback, like the taillights, then you need to put a diode in the circuit.

I wouldn't want to take a charge line feed from a source that is switched through the accessory circuit, I think RV builders already load those relays and switches with enough extra loads like steps, extra lights, slides, or whatever.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
philand-

Some people install a diode,some the Toad Charge, to eliminate sending battery current from the toad to the coach. Note that it's possible to buy the Toad Charge without the wiring, if you already have that in place.

I agree with Bob ("BFlinn181"). I can't think of how the battery charge connection would cause lights on the motorhome to activate. Here's what can cause weird cross-connection problems, though- a poor ground at either end

Mark
That looks like a great device to take care of the charging on the toad. If the Ford chassis has a 12VDC charge line at the rear of the MH could the breaker part be installed in one of the rear cargo bays to save on routing a wire the length of your coach?

I suggested a charge line to the dealer that installed the blue-ox system and he said it wasn't needed. I have yet to take a full day trip pulling the CRV but plan to take a battery charger with boost along just in case I need it. First time I do is when I will have the charge line installed.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #39

The line that powers the rear socket on Ford chassis MHs comes directly from the Accessory switch. My accessory line to the toad at the MH socket prior to installing the diode and after installing the diode never runs above 10 amps. More like 7 amps. I fuse it for 10 amps and have never blown a fuse. Prior to the diode my toad furnished power to the MH dash lights & icons, my MH camera, my MH front electric shades, (won't operate unless ignition is off), and safety for slides. (slides won't operate unless ignition is off). Obviously all those accessories are on the same ckt making the diode necessary.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #40

charge line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
when you turn your MH ignition off all power to assessories for MH are off. OK now add in the charge line. Now when the MH ignition switch is off the toad battery feeds back power to the other side of the MH assessory switch. It has absolutely nothing to do with a bad ground. The MH and toad are common ground. SOLUTION!!!!!! Add a diode in the charge line at the toad. Diode and small box about $6 or you can buy the same thing called a "toad charge" in a ready made box for $110. Your choice. I chose and built a diode in a box for $6. No problems with 2 years of use. I can't believe that RVers are paying $110 for the toad charge. Totally worthless and not needed. I have a voltage regulator in my MH and in my toad. Why in the world would I need a third voltage regulator with a diode? All I need is the diode.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. wyorancher: what was the diode you used? As I remember, the slotsky was the preferred for power applications. I have seen some for up to 10 amp, but not available in small quantities. I think the MH lights may be because switches were on but I'll check for crossfeed. Wiring of the umbilical was very confusing to my old brain.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #41

I found some cheap 6 amp diodes at Radio Shack. I put 3 in parallel. I'm sure current won't be exactly equal in them but 2 years and working ok. I also fused it for 10 amps. I bought a small box from radio shack to mount them in. Also terminal strips fm Radio Shack. Drilled a hole in each end add some gromets for wire to go through. I just lay the box along side the battery in the toad. I also couldn't find any cheap diodes and I was traveling at the time. I did a temp mod to see how it would work then built it up when I got home.

I looked up Radio Shack number. 276-1661
6 amp at 50 piv. I put 3 in parallel. Could have put 4. Ky toad a jeep wrangler only pulls about 7 amps. I fused for 10
All we need to do is block the feed back voltage and for the diodes to hold up. We already have a voltage regulator in the MH so it won't over charge. Not rocket science here.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
tim myers-

Attached is a wiring diagram for a 2007 Ford E-450, showing the power and fusing for the trailer charge line (the orange stuff at the lower right). If your Chalet is wired according to this diagram, Ford has already provided you with the wire at the 7-pin hitch connector, a 40A fuse in the battery junction box, and a relay to keep the two batteries from being connected (in the same box), except when the motorhome key is in the "accessory" or "on" positions. You don't need to install anything in the motorhome to make this work. If your motorhome is not wired according to this diagram, well...

philand-

I erred in my earlier response. I did not see that your coach is a Safari Cheetah. I looked that model up now, and it is not built on a Ford gasser chassis (either E-Series, as "tim myers'" is, or the F53). I offered my ideas on the assumption that all trailer charge circuits were set up as Ford did (battery-to-battery, with fuse and relay, and not run through other switches and not connected to other auxiliary loads downstream of the relay). My assumption was incorrect. The correct answer would have been what "BFlinn181" gave, which was: "Seems to me a lot depends on where you get the 12 v." I'm sorry for misleading you.

wyorancher-

Your Monarch is built on a Ford F53 chassis. A 2007 Monarch owner's manual says the 7-pin hitch socket has a black "battery" pin. The Ford chassis diagram for the 2007 F53 does not include a trailer charge line or a trailer charge fuse-and-relay, which is in "tim myers'" E-450-based coach. Can you tell me from where Monaco wired the "battery" pin? It apparently required you to install a diode in the charge line.

I wouldn't have to ask if I could put my hands on a Monarch chassis wiring diagram, but I've been unsuccessful at doing so. Thanks.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 Ford E-450 Trailer Adapter Wiring Sheet 5 of 5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	110369  

Tags
fuse