Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #15

PM sent
TombstoneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, Well I might as well throw my 2 cents worth in. I would not beef up the suspension or frame on the motorhome or even change the hitch.
THe only way would be to haul that Jeep on a separete trailer pulled by a rental truck or purchased truck.
As for towing on a tow dolly you will not be able to because of 4 wheel drive.
Another option would be to get a bigger motorhome that can tow 10K or at least the weight of the jeep and the open trailer combined.
Lastly I wouldn't worry about the jeep getting trashed as rvers are the greatest in the world and wouldn't bother it other than look at it and ask a bunch of questions.
Enjoy the Rv lifestyle but look before you leap!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'm going to start a new topic on how to configure this jeep to work as a 4 down setup.

I pulled out my stock tires, if I put those on, it will lower my jeep by 13". Then I just have to find or build something that will attach to my front bumper in the recovery/shackle locations.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

I'm going to start a new topic on how to configure this jeep to work as a 4 down setup.

I pulled out my stock tires, if I put those on, it will lower my jeep by 13". Then I just have to find or build something that will attach to my front bumper in the recovery/shackle locations.

There was a thread on this forum recently where someone with an aftermarket front bumper on his Jeep got attachment points directly from Blue Ox (I think) to weld on. Looked great. You couldn't tell it wasn't part of the original bumper.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found the part needed, its called a D-Ring Adapter, allows you to attach a tow bar directly to your D-Rings. All the ones made by the tow bar manufactures, the bolt is too small where it attaches to the bumper. My D-Rings for example are 1", so putting one of those small Blue Ox or Demco brackets with the 3/8" bolt would just wallow around and shear off in the hole.
Warrior Products - Jeep - Tow Bar D-Ring Adapters | Warrior Products
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #20

Howdy,

Degored check your private messages on here as I sent you a private message please check it out

Travelgirl
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Here is how I set up our 2011 JKU Rubicon for flat-towing. It has 35" tires and tows great. I didn't want to use the "D" ring adapters from Warrior Products because my bumper was too high off of the ground and I didn't want to build any higher of a riser coming off of the coach than I already have.

I also used the towbar crossmember to aid in protecting the sway bar disconnect actuator as I feel it is a little unprotected from the factory.

All in all it tows great, we have towed it about 3k miles so far this summer. If we are going for extended stays we haul it in our 26' Haulmark Edge race trailer so we can take the Harley as well.

I understand your concern about flat-towing as I have a few rock chips on the front from when we went to West Yellowstone two weeks ago. It was fine until we hit a 5-mile section of Hwy20 in Idaho that they were in the middle of graveling and tarring. I was not a happy camper but at that point there was not much we could have done. At that point I was wishing we would have hauled the Jeep in the trailer.

Here is a link to another RV forum that shows the construction of my towbar bracket/crossmber.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: My Towbar/Protection Bracket

Let me know if you think that will work and if I can be of any assistance.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

Are you sure about that? Shouldn't it be 13" / 2?

Tags
towing