Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Need towing help/advise/suggestions

We have an ACE and it states it has a 5000# tow rating.

We need to be able to take our Jeep with us on trips. WE CAN'T go 4 down and tow it that way, so that is not an option.

Ideally we would like to do the slightly over sized car hauler option, and tow the Jeep in an enclosed space to keep it from getting molested. Second choice to cut down on weight would be an open car hauler, but then I have to worry about it getting molested and then I have to put on the top, which so far has not been done since it rolled off the dealers lot.

Jeep weighs 4315 lbs. Open hauler weighs 2400 lbs. Enclosed hauler weighs 3500 lbs.

With either option, we will be way over the 5000# tow rating.

Please help me figure this out, hate to have to buy a new motor home just to use our Jeep.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't mean to sound like a downer but...ya got a problem.

What model Jeep do you have? Which ACE do you have?

Even if you towed 4 down, it sounds like you are very concerned about someone messing with it.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Based on the numbers you posted, I'd say you have four options:

1) Tow 4 down (which you said you can't do)
2) Tow 2 down on a tow dolly (which you said you don't want to do)
3) Ignore the tow rating and pull the hauler you want anyway (bad)
4) Get a different tow vehicle with a higher rating.

None of the options are particularly attractive, sorry.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #4

Howdy,

I have put some numbers together your hauler weigh's 2400 your allowed 3500 if you add them together thats 5900 pounds total the jeep weights 4315 lbs plus the 2400 puts you at 6715 lbs your tow weight is 5,000 lbs only which if you put the jeep in the hauler that puts you 815 lbs over weight and ig your tow rating is 5,000 and your total is 6715 loaded thats 1715 over weight... What I want to know it why can't you tow four down with the toad... B/c if you have a 4WD transfer case you can pput the transfer case in nurtal and tow or if not you can add a drive line disconnect and tow four down so I see this as fit

1) you can buy a new hitch and upgrade the hitch to a 7500 lbs hitch or 10,000 lbs hitch and change your coach specs.

2) you can go to a welding company and have him make the hitch stronger by adding welds and beads to it.

3) use a tow dolly

4) find a way to tow four down...

Please tell us why the jeep can not be towed four down never heard of a jeep like this as I know all the jeeps have transfer cases best of luck
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum! Sorry, but it sounds like you will not be able to tow your Jeep. I'm wondering why you are so concerned about your vehicle being "molested?" I would keep my insurance up to date, tow 4-down, and enjoy the trip. Jeeps are the easiest tow of any.

As for upgrading your hitch...there's more to consider than simply adding a higher weight rated hitch. The RV manufacturer sets the tow rating, taking many factors into consideration. You may set yourself up for a bad situation if you attempt to tow overloaded.

We tow a 2012 Wrangler 4-down and love it. No trailer or dolly to deal with when we get to our destination; just unhook and go.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the encouraging light of hope. I was starting to really get depressed.

If buying a new hitch is all that is required, DONE! I have the ACE 29.2

I was already thinking I would have to have the frame gusseted/stiffened as a possible option.

I just drove the Jeep down to the scale, turns out it weighs way more than what Jeep lists as vehicle weight. Empty it weighed in at 5050 lbs.

My jeep was built for Rock Crawling & Wheeling, not for highways & roads. There is not much left of a stock Jeep except the body, just about everything else has been changed. The 39" tires would not last long running down the highway, nor can I imagine the gears in the front and rear diff would last long running for prolonged periods down the highway.

Our Jeep is a blast, and something our whole family enjoys. In the past, wife drove my Durmax and pulled Jeep, I drove our Tahoe pulling travel trailer. So we had to take two separate vehicles and a lot of hassles to go wheeling. We got the MH to make life simpler and easier. Not to mention, there have been several times where we have broke the Jeep and if not for the trailer to tow it home, it would not have made it home at all.

Here's our Jeep wheeling at Katemcy Rocks (K2)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Thanks for the encouraging light of hope. I was starting to really get depressed.

If buying a new hitch is all that is required, DONE! I have the ACE 29.2

I was already thinking I would have to have the frame gusseted/stiffened as a possible option.

I just drove the Jeep down to the scale, turns out it weighs way more than what Jeep lists as vehicle weight. Empty it weighed in at 5050 lbs...
Not sure I have said anything that was encouraging but...LOL

Looking at your 29.2 specs I am a bit confused by what they were thinking. They give you a GVWR of 16,000 lbs and GCWR of 26,000. Standard hitch is 5,000 lbs but there is no option for anything bigger. I think you need to contact ACE and see if that is something they can support. Tacking on a braced up hitch seems a little dicey.

Do you know what your current weight is loaded for use? Keep in mind that you should not exceed 16,000 for your coach BUT...if you can find a way to get a beefed up hitch you have 10,000 lbs of towing capability which should fix your problem.

Given that ACE doesn't list an option for a larger hitch, I am concerned about your options. Sorry if I am still sounding like a downer but it just seems odd how the hitch issue is set up for that unit. Just doesn't make sense to me why they advertise 10K of towing with only a 5K hitch.

BTW...NICE JEEP!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Athud, i was referring to travelgirl with regards to hope.

I just called Thor, they have no clue, told me to call Ford. Called Ford, they were actually pretty helpful, but the poor girl I was talking to was clearly way over her head, but she did do her best to help me, and she did go back and forth with me on my math vs her math.

Athud, you found my problem, which I why I have been struggling. IF the GCWR is 26K, I should be able to go down and have the MH weighed, back out that number, that should leave me with my remaining amount of my capacity (towing or storage).

Swapping out a hitch is no biggie. Beefing up a suspension with extra leafs, or adding frame supports is also no biggie, but IF the overall MH design is already maxed out and right up against the limits, no point.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
Howdy,

I have put some numbers together your hauler weigh's 2400 your allowed 3500 if you add them together thats 5900 pounds total the jeep weights 4315 lbs plus the 2400 puts you at 6715 lbs your tow weight is 5,000 lbs only which if you put the jeep in the hauler that puts you 815 lbs over weight and ig your tow rating is 5,000 and your total is 6715 loaded thats 1715 over weight... What I want to know it why can't you tow four down with the toad... B/c if you have a 4WD transfer case you can pput the transfer case in nurtal and tow or if not you can add a drive line disconnect and tow four down so I see this as fit

1) you can buy a new hitch and upgrade the hitch to a 7500 lbs hitch or 10,000 lbs hitch and change your coach specs.

2) you can go to a welding company and have him make the hitch stronger by adding welds and beads to it.

3) use a tow dolly

4) find a way to tow four down...

Please tell us why the jeep can not be towed four down never heard of a jeep like this as I know all the jeeps have transfer cases best of luck
This raises some issues I'm not sure are workable.

1. What is the GCWR of the ACE? Even if you could increase the hitch rating (Not sure that is such a good idea) do you have enough (GCWR) hauling capability with a loaded coach and heavy toad set up? This needs to be looked into before any attempts to mitigate an overweight toad situation.

2. Have you had your jeep weighed in a configuration that you would expect to tow it in? Make sure you consider full fuel, extra baggage, and all other things that might be in the jeep when you are towing it.

3. A tow dolly MIGHT work if it and the jeep weights are light enough. (See #1 & #2)

4. I've not heard that we can ignore up to 3500 lbs for a hauler. That is new to me but all this is kinda new to me anyway. If that was the case, problem solved since he has said an enclosed hauler was 3500 lbs. Even if true...see #1 & #2.

I think the bottom line is that a rig set up can never exceed the manufacturer's GCWR. I'm not so sure you can modify your coach to increase the hitch capabilities and at the same time increase GCWR. Not sure that is legal and certainly would be fodder for a lawyer in case of an accident and trial. Might even nullify insurance coverage unless there is a manufacturer approved modification option. Not familiar with that being something that can be found.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Athud, i was referring to travelgirl with regards to hope.

I just called Thor, they have no clue, told me to call Ford. Called Ford, they were actually pretty helpful, but the poor girl I was talking to was clearly way over her head, but she did do her best to help me, and she did go back and forth with me on my math vs her math.

Athud, you found my problem, which I why I have been struggling. IF the GCWR is 26K, I should be able to go down and have the MH weighed, back out that number, that should leave me with my remaining amount of my capacity (towing or storage).

Swapping out a hitch is no biggie. Beefing up a suspension with extra leafs, or adding frame supports is also no biggie, but IF the overall MH design is already maxed out and right up against the limits, no point.
OK...it might be confusing but I had a response cued up to go that didn't get sent. It rehashes a couple points.

That being said...you can not exceed 16,000 lbs for your coach weight no matter what. As you are currently configured, you can not exceed 5,000 lbs for your toad regardless of what your rig weighs. So, even if your coach only weighs 15,000 loaded, you can only tow 5,000 lbs because of the hitch.

You are probably working the right path through Ford but (raining on your parade again) unless they had an option for a larger hitch, you may not get much help. Mindful of lawyers and insurance coverage (using an aircraft analogy) you might be pushing the envelope if you modify it on your own.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One caveat to installing or beefing up your hitch, make sure the welder understands welding on a vehicle. The frame can actually be weakened and if the electronics are not protected you can do a co-zillion dollars of damage.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
One caveat to installing or beefing up your hitch, make sure the welder understands welding on a vehicle. The frame can actually be weakened and if the electronics are not protected you can do a co-zillion dollars of damage.
OH... I didn't even think of that issue when I started raining on his parade.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beginning to think im just screwed.

We cant ignore hauler weight, that is why reality is need to be able to haul 8K lbs.

Here is an interesting tidbit I found on Fords website regarding the F-53 Motorhome chassis. "(7,000 lbs. maximum trailer weight at 16,000-lb. GVWR)" here is where i found it on page 9, https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf

Here is also some great information on the chassis, page 2 also shows the 7K tow rating. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...3_F59_v1.2.pdf

Looks like im going to start looking at alternate MH's and will see if its possible to rig up a way to tow my Jeep 4 down. Hate to haul an extra set of tires around, thats probably and extra 400 lbs right there.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DegoRed,

See...that makes the MH information WHACK! There is no way in hell they should advertise the 26,000 GCWR! To me that sounds like false advertising.

I might have to find a wood shed for my sale rep after something like that.

Tags
towing