Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #15

I've had to unhook a couple of times but like most you just watch and plan ahead. A couple of times I've had to backup but only like about 50 feet or so and only straight back. Then I ask DW to jump in the toad and hold the steering wheel and voila I'm on my way without unhooking. Not ideal and probably not recommended but I was on my way in 2 min instead of 15. :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
I too have been considering a TOAD. Backing up is not an option, but renting a car when you get to your destination might be an easier alternative. That is if you are not boondocking in Siberia.
I was also considering buying a suitable toad for our new class A. So far we have made several journey's even with our previous class C and I have found it very convenient to rent a car after we arrive at our destination.....one company has pick-up and delivery service which we have found very doable for us...we figured the economics of toad vs. rental and believe, for us at least, the rental deal is cheaper.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Rental car instead of a toad?

Quote:
I too have been considering a TOAD. Backing up is not an option, but renting a car when you get to your destination might be an easier alternative. That is if you are not boondocking in Siberia.
I am wondering if anyone has tried this method? Finding the right "toad" seems to be taking a lot of time to find what works for us. We think we would like to find a small pickup with crew cab..ie. a Dakota, Canyon, or Colorado to replace our Chevy CK3500 that we used to tow a 32 ft. Hittchiker II. Now we are new owners of a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB. Any insights on renting in the interim?
mapbrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tried renting cars when we first started. It didn't work well for us. They wouldn't pick us up (short on staff) and were closed on Sunday so we couldn't return it if we did rent it. So much for renting.
However several people on here do rent without too much hassle. It all depends on where you are going and the availability of rental cars.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Article in this month's TrailBlazer magazine (Thousand Trails brag mag) about Invisi Brake by Roadmaster.. Suggest you read it. I will only say you really should have an aux braking system on whatever you tow. (The trailer should have one already)

4 down, 2 down or "trailered" backing can be an issue. epically if you have not done a lot of it. (I was just chatting with someone who learned the same way I did, on a farm)

Though I do not recommend it, If you need to move say 3 feet to line up the hose with the gas cap.. You will likely get away with it, though I have heard of busted tow bars from doing just that. (one time here in the forums) when towing 4 down.

I have backed a car into a driveway 2 down. I do not recommend that either. but as I said, I'm farm trained.

A 2 wheel (Even if it's dua axle it's "2 wheel" is way easier to back.

the key, however, at fuel stops, is to scope it out BEFORE you have to back up.

Now, if like me you drive a gasser.. I showed this to an RV shop last week.

Being as it is nearly 30 feet back lining up that dang gas cap on the pump is next to impossible w/o a spotter.. So considering my spotter is basically useless. I installed a camera. it's a "Bolt" type about a 1 inch hole (I forget the exact size) was drilled in the panel below or above the gas cap. The camers is shoved in the hole and the lock washer and nut threaded in the back. Routed the leads (ok had to extend them a bit) up to the "B" input on my rear view monitor, Press the A/B button it's now a side view. Center the pump on the screen, in living color, and you got it.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #20

Towing is not a problem. You won't even know it's there, but you must plan ahead when making stops, especially for fuel. Check out the area before you enter blindly and find yourself in a bind.

Although it's not reccomended, if you were in a bind and on level and only had to back up a few feet, it has been mentioned before that the toad can be used to pull the MH backward. DW to watch brakes in MH, MH in neutral and you pulling it backwards. Must be done with care and only for an emergency, other wise you will have to unhook the toad...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the others. We've had a toad since we've had the MH. I can count on one had the times that we've had to unhook to get ourselves out of a situation.

Here's a thought: When you first start driving a MH, how do you know what obstacles, particularly tree limbs, your vehicle will pass safely under? Most of us acquire a sense, over time, about what "too low" is. I think the same is true for turning radius. When we first got our toad, we took it to an empty mall parking lot early one Sunday morning. I hooked it up and then stood outside with a walkie talkie, instructing DW how to take it through a set of turns so that I could watch. I was most concerned about the routing on the cables but what I learned is how tightly the MH could turn and not get the toad into trouble.

As others have suggested, the key to gas stations is to look before you go in to the pump area. We've been in some pretty tight ones and I had to have a spotter at critical points but we've never unhooked for a fuel stop due to lack of toad space.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #22

Been towing 12 years, 4 of those full timing. Only had to unhook one time when I didn't want to and that was due to stupidity. Our first toad was a '99 Subaru. I could back that straight back about 50ft but no farther but didn't count on it and only needed to about twice. I wouldn't count on this though. I know people that can't go back more than 2 feet before the toad steering axle goes crazy even if someone is in the car trying to keep it straight. Damage can happen in an instant.

Since ours is a gas rig, we plan COSTCO fuel stops. No diesel at COSTCO. Most of their locations are adequate for access but some, like any of the others, can be nasty.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I, too, am new to RVing was considering what type of vehicle to tow (trailer, dolly or fourdowner) I currently own a Honda Ridgeline that I love and will not sell. So my options are limited. The honda is too heavy for any towing, sooooo....

$3000 for towing equipment, $4500 for a decent (anything my wife will consider being seen alive in) vehicle......

That buys a lot of rentals at roughly $125 a week. Is there something wrong with my math?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #24

About the only place you find $125.00 a week rentals is popular vacation destinations like Orlando. The ones around Rocky Mountain and Yellowstone National Parks were more like $40.00 per day. The closest rental agency to Rocky Mountain was 80 miles away.

If you always go to the popular tourist destinations itll all work out. If you go to less traveled places it's another story.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post
I, too, am new to RVing was considering what type of vehicle to tow (trailer, dolly or fourdowner) I currently own a Honda Ridgeline that I love and will not sell. So my options are limited. The honda is too heavy for any towing, sooooo....

$3000 for towing equipment, $4500 for a decent (anything my wife will consider being seen alive in) vehicle......

That buys a lot of rentals at roughly $125 a week. Is there something wrong with my math?
You can get rigged for towing for a lot less than $3000. I just bought a base plate for $325. There was a company at the atlanta MH show sunday that had two slightly used tow bars for sale. A blue ox aventa (aluminum) for $500 and a blue ox (steel) for $300. I paid $24 for the diodes and $14 for the wiring. I am in the middle of installing the baseplate. It is difficult, but I am 71 years old and have a 67 year old helper (DW)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a like new Aventa II with a SMI brake controller from the classified here at iRV2 for about the $1K mark plus a new base plate for about the same $325. as above and installed it (but I'm about 3 years younger).

I think my installation came out better than most because I have an extra power wire to keep the battery charged plus another wire I wired in so it turns the brake control on as soon as the power cord is plugged in.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post

Not if it suits you.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote