Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
New 4 Door Jeep & Gas Class A "What to Do?"

First off I have read pages and pages of extremly informative information on tow brakes and which one does what. My problem is making the decision on which route to go.

Part of me says not to worry about the added weight of the 4 door jeep and just pull the gosh darn thing and everything will be ok. I pulled a 2 door jeep for over 15k miles all around without a problem. However, I know deep down in my heart that I shouldn't do this and I should get a brake system, so this leads me to the next step.

So now I think about a Brake Buddy system, yet can't seem to get warm and fuzzy with it due to the unknown factor of what is it really doing while I am driving the coach and it's setting back on the floorboard of the jeep. I have read too many post of arriving at folks locations, to find the brakes on the jeep or other toad smoked and totally used up and or warped. Not my idea of a reliable system.

This then took me to look at the Unified Brake system and the M & G Engineering Brake system and to be honest with you, I am sold with both of them. HOWEVER, and a big However I am not thrilled with the cost of them and the fact that in both cases the local dealers who supposedly are experts in installing them (Indiana) would not give me the time of day. In fact with the M & G system, I couldn't get their supposed top installing dealer to call me back, once he knew I had a gas system, requiring a supplemental air tank system, taking additional time to install.

I hope you guys and gals can kind of see where this lengthy post is heading. I do believe I need a braking system, that is protective, effective and safe. Yet, I am not willing to spend thousands to give up or forgoe reliability.

Anxious to pull the new 4 door to florida in about 3 weeks.

Please give me your input and thoughts.

Thank you so much.

Bounder Fred

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I highly recommend the SMI Stay-N-Play system. I got mine installed for $1500 in Oregon 2 years ago.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
wthomas1,

Thank you for this information. I like the sounds of this unit and hadn't heard of it yet. Wonder how hard it is to install? Wonder if anyone around Indianapolis, Indiana Installs it?

Bounderfreddy

Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SMI is located in Evansville, IN. Check out their web site STAY-IN-PLAY DUO | SMI Manufacturing Inc. for more info.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just realized that. Will be calling them in the morning. Sounds like a solution to me.

Thank you.... I will keep you posted.

Bounderfreddy

Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spoke to Kyle @ SMI several times throughout the day today and must say I am impressed. Enough so that I ordered the Stay In Play and look forward to installing it myself sometime next week.

Thanks,

Bounderfreddy

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never heard a negative word about SMI and their tech support is incredible. They even returned my call on a Sunday.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounderFreddy View Post
First off I have read pages and pages of extremly informative information on tow brakes and which one does what. My problem is making the decision on which route to go.

Part of me says not to worry about the added weight of the 4 door jeep and just pull the gosh darn thing and everything will be ok. I pulled a 2 door jeep for over 15k miles all around without a problem. However, I know deep down in my heart that I shouldn't do this and I should get a brake system, so this leads me to the next step.

So now I think about a Brake Buddy system, yet can't seem to get warm and fuzzy with it due to the unknown factor of what is it really doing while I am driving the coach and it's setting back on the floorboard of the jeep. I have read too many post of arriving at folks locations, to find the brakes on the jeep or other toad smoked and totally used up and or warped. Not my idea of a reliable system.

This then took me to look at the Unified Brake system and the M & G Engineering Brake system and to be honest with you, I am sold with both of them. HOWEVER, and a big However I am not thrilled with the cost of them and the fact that in both cases the local dealers who supposedly are experts in installing them (Indiana) would not give me the time of day. In fact with the M & G system, I couldn't get their supposed top installing dealer to call me back, once he knew I had a gas system, requiring a supplemental air tank system, taking additional time to install.

I hope you guys and gals can kind of see where this lengthy post is heading. I do believe I need a braking system, that is protective, effective and safe. Yet, I am not willing to spend thousands to give up or forgoe reliability.

Anxious to pull the new 4 door to florida in about 3 weeks.

Please give me your input and thoughts.

Thank you so much.

Bounder Fred
Fred,

I use the US Unified Tow Brake to tow my 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and it works great. I also use the Cooltech wiring harness ( very easy to install) and Blue Ox Aventa tow bar & base plate. M&G and SMI are often reccomended also.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Must admit that some of the best times in camping is buying new rigs and tow vehicles...LOL

Can't wait for the whistle to blow today!

Adding a 2" lift and a set of 33" tires to our new Jeep, so to give it that JEEP look!~

Next week will be the Stay-IN-Play and then in a few more weeks BounderFreddy and the misses will be southbound for Destin, Fl......

Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We are part-time campers because DW is still working. We are thinking about a 2,000 mile trip (one way) to see our family sometime in the future. We will not tow anything on that trip. We will rent a car when we get there so that eliminates the toad and brake problems. I know that some people tow all the time and maybe we will at some later time, but not right now. Time will tell. Joe
Old 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe,

Thanks for posting!

My wife and I both work. She will be 50 in May and I am 46. We avg about 8k miles per year on our Rig and don't leave home without a tow vehicle.

The greatest thing America offers us is choices (for now) glad you guys are going on a big trip.

Enjoy

Bounderfreddy

Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fred, I've had great luck with Ready Brake and Ready Brute.
All self installed for under $1400.00. Check their website at Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - Night Shift Auto
No boxes on the floor, simple to get ready to roll.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Brake Buddy, Even Brake and several other "System in a box" are nice if you change cars all the time but.... What happens if you are just going a few miles, say home to dealer, and think to yourself "Ah, installing this thing for this little trip is just too much trouble" Now as you are going down the 40mph road some kid riding his sidewalk type bicycle rides out in front of you and you stand on the brakes and skid not 88 feet. but 100 feet (Since not all wheels are braking) the kid was 90 feet in front of you?

The US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator, as wall as the Stay & Play system (Same source I think) metioned above...

Takes longer to say "Ah putting this in for this short trip is just too much trouble" than it does to hook 'em up (One plug or one switch)

US-Gear Unified brake system is, in my not very humble opinion, based upon considerable research and now experience. the best.. It is porportional (you adjust the amount of brake power fed to the towed) Progressive (The harder you stand on the brakes, the harder IT stands on the b rakes) and overrideable (you can set the towed brakes, from the driver's seat, without using the coach brakes,,, Useful if you hook up headed down hill and need to extend tow bars)

(Useful in other ways too)

This is basically the same level of control my brother has over his trailer brakes

He is a professional over-the-road semi driver
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Finished the install today of my new Stay-in-Play. Excellent prouct and easy to install.

Road testing it tomorrow!