Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #1

New at Flat towing ,need some help

Well we finally entered the world of the flat tow'rs. We purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and now I would like some help as I know very little about flat towing and I know there is a very large group or rv'ers out there who tow Jeeps and other makes of vehicles who know a great deal about it

I am trying to find out what is the best and easiest to install tow bars out there ? Also is there one bast plate that is easier to install than the others ? Does the base plates have to be matched with the tow bar or are they interchangeable? I know that they cannot be made to fit different vehicles but can the base plates be paired with different manufacturers tow bars ? ( told you I didn't know much about them ).

Lastly which is the best and or easiest to use breaking system to buy? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but if the cheapest is the better unit that is good .

I am also looking at ease of installation as I would like to install everything myself if possible. Thanks for all responses each and every one is appreciated....Alan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as ease of use the playing field is pretty level for tow bars. Most of them out there hook up the same way and can be used with different base plates and vehicle combinations. The base plate is the hardest part of the install, since you have to bolt it to the vehicle frame. Hooking up the tow bar to RV and toad is easy. Brakes are a personal choice as far which is best or easiest to use.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Baseplates and tow bars are not interchangeable, each manufacturer has their own attachment design. That said, some manufacturers have adapters to allow you to use other baseplates with their towbars. If you're starting from scratch, get both from the same manufacturer to simplify things.

We use Blue Ox products - I think their baseplates are the most unobtrusive when you're not towing. If that doesn't matter to you, then the others are probably fairly equivalent.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
For a Wrangler, depending on model and other mods, you can often use a modified bumper instead of a base plate, since Wranglers already have tow points on (or under) the bumper.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
Well we finally entered the world of the flat tow'rs. We purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and now I would like some help as I know very little about flat towing and I know there is a very large group or rv'ers out there who tow Jeeps and other makes of vehicles who know a great deal about it

I am trying to find out what is the best and easiest to install tow bars out there ? Also is there one bast plate that is easier to install than the others ? Does the base plates have to be matched with the tow bar or are they interchangeable? I know that they cannot be made to fit different vehicles but can the base plates be paired with different manufacturers tow bars ? ( told you I didn't know much about them ).

Lastly which is the best and or easiest to use breaking system to buy? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but if the cheapest is the better unit that is good .

I am also looking at ease of installation as I would like to install everything myself if possible. Thanks for all responses each and every one is appreciated....Alan
Glad you asked all these questions! I'm thinking of getting a 2014 Wrangler and would need to ask the same questions. So I will follow this thread closely.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Easy install....

Camping World (look at the last flyer) has a special of $29 for any install ($79 if you can't wait to schedule).

I am having a baseplate on my new Honda CR-V, satellite system and receivers, tow bar wire harness, new Stay-In-Play brake assist system (replacing the BrakeBuddy), and a tow Hidden Hitch receiver on the CR-V for a bike rack.

Total labor is $116 ($29 ea install), saved ~$1,000 in labor, and a lot of time and headache doing the install myself. After researching, the equipment was also priced in line with what I could order it for as well.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Easy install....

Camping World (look at the last flyer) has a special of $29 for any install ($79 if you can't wait to schedule).

I am having a baseplate on my new Honda CR-V, satellite system and receivers, tow bar wire harness, new Stay-In-Play brake assist system (replacing the BrakeBuddy), and a tow Hidden Hitch receiver on the CR-V for a bike rack.

Labor is $90.
yeah, I just saw the $29 install deal. Pretty good.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
yeah, I just saw the $29 install deal. Pretty good.
I forgot to add the $29 for the Hidden Hitch install in my first post, but edited it.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I can only speak for Blue Ox. I have installed 3 sets of base plates and while there is a lot to them, Blue Ox has very good instructions and it goes fairly easy. As said before the tow bar install is simple. You will need to make a decision on lights though. The magnetic type is definitely the easiest to install. I use the bulbs and wire you install inside your existing brake/tail light ass'y. They are also made by Blue Ox. Or you can go the diode route. That scared me, but my buddy said thee was nothing to it. As far as braking systems, I have a 9 year old Blue Ox unit that works good and is not to much trouble to setup, but I'm sure there is some better ones out there by now...Good Luck...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Last year I installed a Roadmaster Falcon II on my 2013 Wrangler. I also used an Air Force braking system. For wiring I used a kit that used the original Jeep lights with diodes to keep the two systems apart. I thought that I was going to save $$$ by doing the work myself. Took about three days. It turned out perfect and I have no problems but was it worth my time and a few skinned knuckles? Another poster mentioned Camping World an an installer. I have found that it depends on the individual location. Some are into customer service, some not so much.

Tags
towing