Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

NEW DP, Jeep Wrangler JKU and used towing equipment

Heres the story;
New (to us) 2015 Palazzo
New (to us) 2016 Rubicon

Needed to tow it so we/i went shopping. Read allot on this site (CUDDOs and thanks to everyone on here) your posts were awesome.

Decided to go Blue Ox for several reasons,

Started searching for used receiver systems. Found one on FB Swap (its part of Facebook and the only reason I am on FB) Bought a 10K # receiver for
$200.00. Retired couple that landed and was no longer RVing. 2 years old and had just had completely rebuilt by Blue Ox at a rally, still had papers for that. Got all the safety cables, plate pins and 4 extra new pins for the base plate..

Bought a new base plate. Was told by several people to NEVER buy this used, to many factors that can kill you, previously wrecked, one use lock bolts and on and on.. NEW Only so thats is what i did. Got it on amazon for for a little cheaper than directly from Blue Ox.

Back on SWAP for a braking system;
Divorce sale in San Antonio Patriot braking system .5 year old used 3 times still had box all cables, breakaway, manuals everything included 450.00

Hopkins wiring harness for the Jeep 45.00

1 hour for wiring harness (watched several Utube videos before starting)
2 hours for base plate (more videos before install)

Tows like a champ.

Do your homework, know what you need and how to tell if it is still in god shape. HAGGLE the price.

There are too many people geting out of RVing to buy allot of this stuff new. Search CL and FB Swap sites, IRV2 classifieds and find it used. We saved a tremendous amount of money that helped offset all the other (crap we need that too) stuff we had to buy.

Good luck!
MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

Sounds like you have a solid set up. It should work very good for you. I just set up my Jeep for towing with mostly used parts. I went with a new braking system, hitch pins and safety cables. I cant wait to hook up for the first time and start towing.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Sounds like you have a solid set up. It should work very good for you. I just set up my Jeep for towing with mostly used parts. I went with a new braking system, hitch pins and safety cables. I cant wait to hook up for the first time and start towing.
Using the set up I have now I can also pull it behind my F250 if needed. Since the tow bar actually utilizes a standard receiver, i can drop it right in, plug into my 7 way and plug the brake controller into a power port on my dash.

I used this set up to test everything before my first outing with the RV. I was unsure of how the brakes would work (how well it would stop) and wanted to know using a vehicle that I could feel the "push" of the jeep behind it so I could properly set the gain on the brakes. This was actually a great idea as the previous over had them set heavy, too much braking from the jeep. It also allowed me to see my jeep during my test so I knew if there was an issue.

I would recommend doing this first if you have a truck and your setup will allow for it. It was very useful for me.
MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing