Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

We just got a new ford Edge AWD Can be Towed all four down with no mods.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

We just got a new ford Edge AWD Can be Towed all four down with no mods.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice! I just read yesterday that Ford just captured the top quality ratings. Hope that translates to sales for them . . . tough to see such them in a slump.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #4

TNBULLDOG
I too am the proud owner of the Edge as of today! This car is amazing and really easy to set up for towing. I have to get the base plate on (on order) and then we are set to go. Oh the brake buddy wiring will also have to be reinstalled to..
Let me know how your experiences go
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
went to Ford today. The towing book shows no Edge for towing. Are you sure it can be towed 4 Down...
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #6

YES! I saw it online and then went to the ford dealership and in the manual of the Ford Edge it has a section called Recreational Towing. Only the AWD are towable 4 down. I then went to the Blue OX site and looked up Ford. Edge was the first vehicle listed for Ford. I confirmed that with my RV dealer too. The motorhome dingy came out before the Edge did so it isn't showing. Another person on this forum tows his too. He is the one who gave me the idea. So I researched it in person. The dealer where I bought it has already sold 4 Edges AWD to others for their motorhome.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #7

I had the same experience at another dealership who told me no too but they said no to all their cars. They weren't familiar with cars and RV towing to know where to look. The Head of their service department owns a 40 footer and knew immediately and came out to one of the edges and showed me in the book. He also showed me exactly how to set it up. He just got one for his motorhome.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #8

Need to clairfy. The service manager was from another ford dealership where I bought it. The other ford dealership had a very yound kid come out and he is the one who told me no.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just bought the Ford Edge SEL Plus FWD. Page 209 of the Owner's Guide states the following"Tow your front Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels of the ground by using a tow doily. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider."
On Page 210 it goes on to states regarding AWD vehicles: "Tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground. This will cause damage to your AWD system."
Sorry, bold added by Ford, not me yelling.
It goes on to state:
"Tow only in the forward Direction."
"Release the parking brake".
"Place the transmission shift lever in Neutral (N)".
"Turn the key in the ignition to the ACC position".
"Do not exceed 65 mph".
"Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop".
When in ACC, the clock and alarm light stays on. A battery disconnect or the Toad Charge can be used. Here is the link:
http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html
The SEL and Plus have the driver door keypad which is nice as you can lock the car and use the keypad to get in and out.
Hopefully, this will clear up questions on towing the Edge.
For what it is worth, it weighs in at 3975 according to the title, rides very well and is quiet. It has a lot of leg room (I am 6'5") in front and rear. Also, has plenty of room to carry items up to 8' long. More power than I need (265 HP V-6) and with 1200 miles on it I get 25-27 on the hwy. I have yet to find a fit and finish problem with it. The six speed tyranny is very smooth and has all acceleration most of us need.
I was going to buy the Outlook, Arcadia and than Buick Enclave, but all were around 4800 to 5000 pounds. To heavy for my gasser. Also, found that people have found their batteries were running down and most gone to Toad Charge to keep the juice up.
Lincoln similiar model tows the same way.
Hope this helps.
Marv
Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

FMCA Towable publication for 2007 shows the Edge Towable. If you are a member of FMCA you can view it on line.
However, it lists the weight at over 4200 lbs almost as much as my Explorer.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #11

The Jeep Liberty weighs 4000. At least my renegade liberty did actually 4300 so no big deal
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #12

Hey Marv,
thanks for the link to the battery charger 10amp. I will install that in my new edge.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #13

Am I correct that the "New" Taurus X, which looks very much like the Freestyle will also have the new tranny and can be towed 4 down.
Kudos to Ford and I understand GM for developing this new tranny. Why isn't GM introducing it in their new cars?

Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I think it is in there new cars
GMC Buick and Saturn all have cars that can be pulled now. I understand it is because of this Transmission.