Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

New guy here with some towing questions...

This has probably been beat to death here before, but I have three questions regarding towing a vehicle. I just purchased a gas powered, '97 Winnebago 34' Adventurer. We plan on using it mostly to attend car events but will also use it for other vacations. I have a 1927 model T coupe hot rod and plan on towing it with my open car trailer (18'). Question #1, what is the best system for anti sway for towing this combo? I also have a 2013 GMC Terrain 2 wheel drive that I want to use when not towing the Model T. Question #2, should I just put the Terrain on the car trailer? Question #3, if not, is it best to flat tow or use a car dolly? In an effort to save money, I am leaning on using the car trailer which ever vehicle I use.

Thanks in advance for the education...Daniel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first thing you have to do is determine how much weight your coach can tow.

Your receiver hitch should have a label on it stating it's weight rating.

Next you need to weigh the items you plan to tow.

Then you need to go to the bank and see how much they will loan you for a diesel pusher.

Oh, and by the way.....welcome to the forum!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think the 2wd Terrains can be towed 4 wheels down. So if you have the towing capacity you might as well use the trailer for the Terrain also. It will be a little harder to store at CG's and RV Parks though.

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
This has probably been beat to death here before, but I have three questions regarding towing a vehicle. I just purchased a gas powered, '97 Winnebago 34' Adventurer. We plan on using it mostly to attend car events but will also use it for other vacations. I have a 1927 model T coupe hot rod and plan on towing it with my open car trailer (18'). Question #1, what is the best system for anti sway for towing this combo? I also have a 2013 GMC Terrain 2 wheel drive that I want to use when not towing the Model T. Question #2, should I just put the Terrain on the car trailer? Question #3, if not, is it best to flat tow or use a car dolly? In an effort to save money, I am leaning on using the car trailer which ever vehicle I use.

Thanks in advance for the education...Daniel.
I would take a good hard look at the Hitch and what the hitch is attached to.

Like you I Tow a car trailer so the Frame on the coach was a big consideration in my purchase decision.

I purchased my Gulfstream Crescendo with a Frieghtliner Chassis with huge C Channel that extends all the way to the back of the coach where my Hitch is attached.

Most all of the Gas chassis's I looked at were Pretty Scary, they end 4-6 feet before the back of the Coach, and are extended with Just angle Iron to support the weight of the tail of the coach and a Hitch.

This leaves them with a 5000 lb or Less Tow capacity, and I would really be worried about Ripping the hitch off the angle iron, or flexing the back of the coach causing interior damage or structural damage.

These type set up I believe were only meant for Flat Towing or 3000 lb trailers where there is little more than push pull type loading.

Car Trailers can easily have 1000-1500 lb Tongue Weights.

If a car trailer is loaded correctly with 10% of the total weight on the Ball it will Not Sway.

A Weight Distribution system is Highly recommended, this distributes the Tongue Weight over all 4 wheels of the coach.

Being a Model T Hot rod I would expect a 2500 lb Weight if you use an Aluminum Car Trailer 1000-1500 lbs. this will Keep you around 4000 Lbs Gross Trailer weight.

I am afraid the Terrain on the trailer will exceed the Weight of the Hitch even if you have an aluminum trailer, I believe they weigh around 4500 lbs.

If you can Flat tow the Terrain that would be the safest route for your Hitch and Chassis.

If Not a Dolly would be your next best choice.

Ted.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

According to the Winnebago site all 1997 Adventurers in the 34' length were gas powered. As such you have either a 3,500 lb. or a 5,000 lb. towing capacity. According to Edmunds the terrain weighs 4960 lbs. so towing it 4 down is the only option if you have the capacity. You may want to check out a drive shaft disconnect if you intend to tow this vehicle.

As for anti sway or weight distribution hitches Winnebago warns against using them. As previously mentioned the frame extensions at the rear of the coach are considerably lighter than the main frame.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For what you want to do you need a DP with 10K towing ability. A flat bed trailer usually weighs in at 1800 -2500ls just by itself. Now add a car and you are OVER WEIGHT for a gas MH.
Sounds to me like you put the cart before the horse.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
For what you want to do you need a DP with 10K towing ability. A flat bed trailer usually weighs in at 1800 -2500ls just by itself. Now add a car and you are OVER WEIGHT for a gas MH.
Sounds to me like you put the cart before the horse.
If I wanted a DP I would have purchased one. The trailer and Model T combo are well under the rated towing capacity. Which is the main reason for the trailer. I just thought it might be possible to use it for towing the Terrain when not attending car events. I do agree that that would be too much weight though. No problem, I plan on purchasing a tow dolly for the terrain. Problem solved. But thanks for all y'all's inplut.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Best Bet

A KARKADDYSS by DEMCO.
JMO Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Terrain is the SLT-2 (loaded w/AWD and 6cyl) and weighs just over 4000 lbs. Also all Terrains are most definitely 4-wheel down towable. You can put it on a trailer or dolly or set it up for towing. On the trailer, the Terrain's weight plus the trailer's weight will more than likely exceed your mh's towing capacity. You could also include a weight distributing device with built in sway control; however, I don't think I've ever seen a car trailer with a WD device on it...seems to me they are already design for trailering without a WD unit. Putting your rod on the trailer seems to me to be the only way to go. I think I would set up the Terrain to pull 4-down, but a tow dolly would work also if it had surge brakes.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Our Terrain is the SLT-2 (loaded w/AWD and 6cyl) and weighs just over 4000 lbs. Also all Terrains are most definitely 4-wheel down towable. You can put it on a trailer or dolly or set it up for towing. On the trailer, the Terrain's weight plus the trailer's weight will more than likely exceed your mh's towing capacity. You could also include a weight distributing device with built in sway control; however, I don't think I've ever seen a car trailer with a WD device on it...seems to me they are already design for trailering without a WD unit. Putting your rod on the trailer seems to me to be the only way to go. I think I would set up the Terrain to pull 4-down, but a tow dolly would work also if it had surge brakes.

Hope this helps

Ron

Thank you for your input. I guess my next question is, what makes the Terrain capable to be towed with all four on the ground? I thought a vehicle had to be standard shift to be flat towable. My Terrain is only 2wd front wheel drive and auto. I would prefer to flat tow the Terrain, as I already have a tow bar so it would be one less thing I have to spend my money on.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
All Terrains are flat towable. I'm not really sure what you are asking.

There are many automatic transmission vehicles that are flat towable....and there are many manual transmission vehicles that are NOT. It all depends upon how the mfg has configured the transmission.

Since you already have a tow bar, you will need to get a base plate and light kit and have (or do it yourself as I did) them installed. Supplemental brakes are also recommended.

The Terrain only requires pulling a fuse (I installed a small rocker switch in place of the fuse) and inserting the key in the ignition and leaving it in the "on" position. I have been told, but haven't tried it yet, that you can also turn the key to "off" once you have turned it on......but cannot remove the key from the switch. The procedure unlocks the steering wheel. The odometer will NOT record towing mileage. There is a 65mph max towing speed, and requires starting the car after about 300 miles.

Look in your owner's manual under "recreational towing"....it will provide you with all the info you need.

Ron
Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #12

Thanks again for the info Ron. That is sure going to save me some money being able to flat tow my Terrain. I will go thru the owners manual and find that fuse you were talking about.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Thanks again for the info Ron. That is sure going to save me some money being able to flat tow my Terrain. I will go thru the owners manual and find that fuse you were talking about.
You're very welcome, glad I could help.

Tags
towing