Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

New Honda coming soon

Just learned of a new Honda model called HRV. Model will be out towards end of this year. I have looked at a few pictures online. Looks like smaller version CRV built on Honda Fit frame. I am hoping that it will be a towable unit for behind MH. We currently tow Jeep Wrangler, but would also like to have another option especially for fuel economy and keeping with four doors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
Just learned of a new Honda model called HRV. Model will be out towards end of this year. I have looked at a few pictures online. Looks like smaller version CRV built on Honda Fit frame. I am hoping that it will be a towable unit for behind MH. We currently tow Jeep Wrangler, but would also like to have another option especially for fuel economy and keeping with four doors.
I took a look at it online after reading your post. It's 700 lbs lighter than the CRV-very nice. Hope it will have an AWD option that is towable.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

I was reading about that too, but the specs say it has a CVT transmission. I was told CVT transmissions cannot be towed 4 down, is that true?
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Initially it will have a CVT tranny, which is usually no towable. Honda is expanding the use of CVT trannys in their vehicles.

Glenn

Looks like Mike types faster than I do.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have your heart set on a Honda, take a look at the KIA Soul Base model. Six speed manual, 2700#'s, very roomy 5 passenger.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There are a few CVT's that are towable (Ford says theirs is), but Honda's so far have not been.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

Thanks Brockx, I will take a look at those, we will eventually get a Jeep Wrangler but the 4 Runner we have is in great shape and that is the vehicle we would eventually replace. I always keep my cars for about 8-10 years. we also have a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid, which we love and don't want to get rid of(averages 40 mpg). Neither car is towable 4 down.

So we have been looking for an economical car to use as a Toad for a few years until we replace the 4Runner. I drive my kids and wife crazy because I won't buy a new car whenever I feel like it, and keep them for so long. I do all my own maintainence and they look/drive like new.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was at my Honda dealer just now getting the CRV serviced. I asked my salesman about the HRV and he was 90% certain it would not be towable 4 down.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Make that 100% not towable with 4 down on any Honda CVT (constant variable transmission), Mike & Cha I would look at Pre 2013 Fits, if you can find them. Manual or auto can both be towed 4 down. Per 2013 is Jap made and Honda normal quality throught out. 2014 and up made in Mexico, not the same vehicle. Follow the all manufactures instructions to a "T" and vidio yourself doing them with milage, date, and time procedure performed in all vedios. Then if a failure were to happen "owner fault" is removed when dealing with extended warranty's or manufactures. Everybody takes movies in the 20" why not protect yourself. LOL

T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote