Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Invisibrake Install

Hello fellow travelers!

If you are in need of a new supplemental braking system and are considering the Invisibrake from Roadmaster you need to be aware of a couple of things.

I am NOT rating, nor criticizing the Invisibrake as I only used it driving home from the installer. But there were a couple of hitches in the installation process which you should be aware of.

When ordering the Invisibrake you need to also order the proper umbilical receptacle for the car as it is not furnished in the kit. You need to indicate whether it is a 4 pin, 5 pin, etc.

Also order at the same time the auxiliary wiring kit, with diodes, for your particular vehicle. Although it does state that each vehicles brake lights and turn signals need to be wired, it does NOT say that each different vehicle requires a specific to that vehicle wiring kit. Roadmaster has them, but it is not necessarily understood that they need to be ordered separately. That cost is in addition to the price of the system.

All seems good, so far, but I will report on the operation of the system upon my return from our upcoming trip to Paso Robles and back. 300 plus miles round-trip over hill and dale.

I chose the Invisibrake because it is hidden, does not have to be out in and taken out each time and my friends who are using it are very happy.

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Forgive my ignorance, but the manufacturer says this: "Works in virtually any towed vehicle with vacuum-powered brakes".

What type of towed vehicle, other then OTR truck trailers, have a vacuum powered brake system?

Just curious. (I didn't come from a towing family).

On Edit: Just went and read the manual for this, I get it now.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darryl,

I had one installed last August and have used it for almost 16K miles and no problems as of yet. I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

The two things I like best are:
1) Once you set the initial brake response setting - you are done unless you want to change it.

2) Just plug in your light cord and your set - reducing hook up time.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but the manufacturer says this: "Works in virtually any towed vehicle with vacuum-powered brakes".

What type of towed vehicle, other then OTR truck trailers, have a vacuum powered brake system?
ANY vehicle with power brakes, other than air brakes, usually uses vacuum assisted brakes.

Instead of a diode kit, I'd look at your taillights to see if there's room to install a socket and two filament lightbulb. Much easier and cheaper to implement. Use an LED bulb, and heat is no issue in the taillight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the Invisbrake system installed on our Honda Accord. Also had the diodes for the lights installed. So far both systems perform as advertized. Haven't had to make any adjustments yet. The shop that up the did the set-up ordered everything, so I guess they knew what to get cause it works.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Invisibrake Install

Thanks to all who responded. Good to know that the system works aas advertised. AS I said, I know a couple of friends who had Invisibrake installed and are happy with performance.

I understand that Authorized Dealers of Roadmaster Products are aware of the extra parts they need for an install, but I think any RV service center that would be asked to install this system should not find out about the extra parts AFTER they start the install. I told Roadmasters Customer Service that I think they should make their instruction manual so that anyone would know they needed additional, vehicle specific wiring/diode(s) for the install.

Took 4 days for a 1 to 2 day install.

On our way to Paso Robles on the 23rd. Will give my feedback on operation of the Invisibrake when we return.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Cuesta grade will be a good test for your system, good ahead and give it a work out.

And remember "Napa is for auto parts Paso Robles is for wine".

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install