Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Jeep: JL or JK?

We are looking to buy in the first half of this year. Should we wait for the new model (JL) or take advantage of (possibly) discounted JK models? Price is one consideration, but we're also looking at the availability of aftermarket products, and the concern that a new model will have more "bugs" than the older version.

This will be our first Jeep. It will be used as my commuter, a toad, and occasionally "off road"--which for us would mean logging roads.

I can't think of a better crowd to weigh in on this. Your thoughts?

Thanks
--Rod

cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

I had a 12 JK. 5 years, 70K miles, no issues.
Now a 17 JK. It's love, it's dirty, and off-road often.
Have fun!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

I don’t own a Jeep and was intrigued by your question because I didn’t know the difference between JL and JK. Am sure there are plenty of articles out there but I found one at cjponyparts.com that makes a compelling argument for the “new” model. Good luck with your decision.

Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

If I didn't have a Jeep and was shopping for a new one, I'd go for a JL. BUUUTTTT, I'm not getting rid of my JK to get one.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #5

The JL is available thus no need waiting

Best bet is to drive them and see for yourself if you think the JL is worth it. Base vs base price approx $3k more for the JL and to some there are some pretty big updates to the JL

Depending on what you are looking for, Mopar has their full product line available thus if whatever you want isn’t available from your company of choice, possibly mopar is a option.

I wouldn’t expect any more of a deal vs normal price on the JK, many seem to want to get the last of the JK for whatever their reason is thus still in demand.

1st year can have issues however one would hope by now issues should be minor. I wouldn’t worry about it, if you like it get it

As stated going for a test drive of each model is best. Another great place for info on the vehicles is wranglerforum
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The reviews I have seen are positive on the JL. No big technical or off-road capability improvement. But more refined and comfortable on-road. Suggest to drive both and draw your own conclusions as to the value difference for the added dollars.

As for add-ons. The JK if course has a zillion available. The JL will soon too. As for known issues - TBD for the JL.

I'm keeping my TJ Rubi - thanks. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist922 View Post
We are looking to buy in the first half of this year. Should we wait for the new model (JL) or take advantage of (possibly) discounted JK models? Price is one consideration, but we're also looking at the availability of aftermarket products, and the concern that a new model will have more "bugs" than the older version.

This will be our first Jeep. It will be used as my commuter, a toad, and occasionally "off road"--which for us would mean logging roads.

I can't think of a better crowd to weigh in on this. Your thoughts?

Thanks
--Rod
Might want to check availability of towing equipment such as brake systems, tow lighting & towbar base base plates. May not be available for a few months due to design & testing.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

"concern that a new model will have more "bugs" than the older version."

Not trying to throw a scare into this but there was another thread which said that the new "JL" has incorporated the same Electronic Power Steering system that caused the "wobble" situation on the Cherokee. I actually sent an email to Jeep requesting information.

I'm also looking at the JL
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

You are not really see JK prices going down because of the JL. JL does offer a lot more options for the engine and the diesel option sounds interesting. However, I have no desire to get rid of my '08 JK as it does just fine. But, drive one of each, figure out what model and trim you like best. They are getting plusher.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
The JL is available thus no need waiting

Best bet is to drive them and see for yourself if you think the JL is worth it. Base vs base price approx $3k more for the JL and to some there are some pretty big updates to the JL

Depending on what you are looking for, Mopar has their full product line available thus if whatever you want isn’t available from your company of choice, possibly mopar is a option.

I wouldn’t expect any more of a deal vs normal price on the JK, many seem to want to get the last of the JK for whatever their reason is thus still in demand.

1st year can have issues however one would hope by now issues should be minor. I wouldn’t worry about it, if you like it get it

As stated going for a test drive of each model is best. Another great place for info on the vehicles is wranglerforum

" The JL is available, no waiting"
Of all the reading and research I've done, the JL is not available 'till the end of the month and that's at limited dealers. May I ask where you see a new JL available? According to most of the inside sources, the JK is still being produced into the '18 model year but, only for a short while, 'till the JL is in full production. And, not only that, the Jeep plant will ONLY be producing the UNLIMITED (four door model) in the first line production, around all of January and, into Feb. Then, it will start producing the standard two door model. This is according to either Road and Track or, one of the other bigger name mags.

As for the engine options, again, according to sources, the diesel version is not available 'till later and I can't remember about the turbo 4 cylinder 300HP version. The Pentastar V-6 285HP is supposed to get some sort of enhancement(s) but, that's not confirmed yet, according to latest reports.

OP,
Over on one of the JK forums, there's a thread running around that shows a full video of a person explaining all the new aspects, changes, alterations, body, interior, tops and more of the brand new JLs. I've spoken with our local Jeep dealership and, they don't have clue as to when the first JL is to be shipped to them. Yes, orders have been placed but, this is a new model so, it remains to be seen when the show room floors will have one.

Now, I don't keep track of each and every dealership across America so, my sources can be way off and, maybe it's possible that there are, in fact, some new JLs available as we speak. But, according to many on the JK forums, no one has one yet. I personally like the new JLs, the body, especially the dash etc. has some new enhancements that bring the Jeep even more into the modern world.

As far as "Bugs" in the new model, well, I wouldn't worry too much about that. First off, yes, there's changes to the Jeep Wrangler but, it's not like the thing was just invented. It's still a Wrangler but, with some slight changes here and there. If we were in a position for a Jeep change, I'd get one (when available) in a heartbeat. Besides, even if there's some "bugs", Jeep will handle fixing whatever's any form of an issue, without worry.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

I have to replace the tracker soon and will be looking at the new one. Looks like the soft top is really easy to put down.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott, I think you are exactly right. I work at a large metro C-D-J-R store and we have not received one yet. They have just started shipping to dealers, so it will be a little while before the pipeline is filled. The new JL will undoubtedly be somewhat more refined than the JK it is replacing. Going forward there will be some new engine options.

Myself, if I were looking for one of these, I would probably wait and get the new JL, just because its new. I'm sure there will be some teething issues, but hopefully they will be minor and few. New product launches have gotten much better over the years.

Having said that, to the OP, I don't think you would go wrong with either vehicle. Get whichever one fits your budget and timing.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #13

Scott, I agree we have been waiting to see the 2018 model and so far they have not been available here in Southern California(at least at our local dealers). The 2017's are getting scarce here, as big dealerships who traditionally have about 100 in stock, are down to a handful.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I knew this was the right crowd to ask. Thanks to everyone.

I'm leaning towards the JL. I haven't seen any JL's at our local dealers yet. We'd like to have the new jeep, rigged for towing by April, but can wait longer if needed.

cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote