Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
If I already had a dolly, and I was VERY comfortable with it in terms of strength and safety, and it had a brake system on it, I'd probably put up with the small amount of pain a dolly provides. If it didn't have a brake system, I'd check into adding one.

Steve

P.S. SMI makes a system for non-diesel Motorhomes too. Nope, I don't work for 'em.

You can't tow a 4x4 Jeep with two wheels off the ground.

Check the owners manual and it states this very clearly with "large" warnings. It can dammage the transfer case and will void the warranty on both the transfer case and transmission most likely.

You should tow any 4x4 Jeep either 4 down or on a trailer with all 4 off the ground.

Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery disconnect on '11 Jeep Liberty

My owner’s manual says to disconnect the battery to keep the tow mileage from reregistering.

I am interested in hearing how others have done the disconnect. I am looking at a knife switch. The problem is that it is 2" tall and I don't know if I have that much room between the battery and the hood. Am interested in other's experience.

Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mileage will not register while the transfer case is in neutral. There really is no reason to disconnect the battery on an '11, it's just a left over instruction from older models that was left in the owners manual. The older models would power up the vehicle when the key was in a position to unlock the steering.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #18

I just went thru my owner's manual again and it don't say anything about having to tow 4 down.
and in answer to the "KEY ON" question. my manual says to:
turn key to on possion
shift transmition into Neutral
Shift transfer case into Neutral
Start engine and shift transmittion into drive to make sure it don't move
shift transmition into park and remove the key.
nothing about leaving key on and disconecting the battery.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich n Mary View Post
I just went thru my owner's manual again and it don't say anything about having to tow 4 down.
and in answer to the "KEY ON" question. my manual says to:
turn key to on possion
shift transmition into Neutral
Shift transfer case into Neutral
Start engine and shift transmittion into drive to make sure it don't move
shift transmition into park and remove the key.
nothing about leaving key on and disconecting the battery.

Both my '01 Cherokee and the new 2011 Grand Cherokee say in the recreational towing section of the manuals to only tow 4 down with 4x4. Check in the manual under recreational towing. I wouldn't think that the liberty is any different from the other Jeep products since they all essentially use the same type 4 wheel drive transfer cases and drive systems.

Your key thing is correct and identical to my new JGC. On the older models like my '01 Cherokee the key had to remain in the vehicle and turned to a position to unlock the steering wheel. Now they have eliminated the steering lock due to the smart key which is needed to take the vehicle.