Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

New Jeep Rubicon: to tow or trailer?

Newbie here, have a new Jeep Rubicon we want to take with us. The concern I have, as I see so many tow 4 down, is aren't you wearing tires, wheel bearings, wear in tranny, differential, etc? I'm considering towing on a 16' aluminum trailer rated at 7k and not putting any wear on my new Jeep.
What u say????

Jesus is Lord! Coming back soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Up to you, it's your Jeep....

but most buy the Jeep TO tow since it is so easy to do !

It is not much wear and tear if you think about it, it's just free-wheeling back there and after all, it's just a car !!!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I flat tow my jeep. Have done so many thousands of miles on this and a previous Jeep. No problems from towing wear and tear.

I would not want to mess with handling a trailer. Four down is so easy to connect/disconnect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #4

I tow my 2015 AEV Rubicon JK350 4 down... Pretty minimal west potential really. Transmission is in Park and the transfer case is in Neutral... There is set up to be done to the Jeep (base plate for tow bar hook up) but I don't have to look for a place to put a trailer when I get to my site with the MH and Jeep.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 160,000 miles on my toad's odometer and have pulled it about another 50,000 miles that don't don't show on the odometer.

I think your jeep will do just fine.

I'd love to watch you roll that 16' trailer around in an RV park by hand...
Old 08-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #6

Flat tow mine, no problems at all. It's a JEEP, use it and abuse it but keep it out of the salt if you love it.

Tow flat and enjoy,

Robby
Old 08-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have flat towed my 2012 JK Rubicon over 30,000 miles without a hiccup. After it is wired (buy the Mopar harness avail at Jeep dealer) use a good towbar. Save yourself some trouble and get your towbar mounts built into an aftermarket bumper. It takes me 2-3 minutes to hook my Jeep up. Tow the Jeep with the Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and no ignition key. Finding a place to park a trailer is tough in a lot of places. You can always find a place to park a Jeep. The pic shows my Jeep with 35 inch tires and a 2.5 inch lift kit. A stock JK is even easier to setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	105125  
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Newbie here, have a new Jeep Rubicon we want to take with us. The concern I have, as I see so many tow 4 down, is aren't you wearing tires, wheel bearings, wear in tranny, differential, etc? I'm considering towing on a 16' aluminum trailer rated at 7k and not putting any wear on my new Jeep.
What u say????

Jesus is Lord! Coming back soon.
Just a reminded about trailer rating you said considering a 7,000 lb trailer which probably has (2) 3,500lb axles don't forget you subtract the trailer weight from the 7k for the weight capacity. If it were me I would pull 4 down it will be less total weight and less trouble.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Don't forget the expense of buying, licensing and maintaining the trailer as well.

Aluminum trailers ain't cheap btw.....
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #10

tow a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 4 down. Very easy, no trailer to mess with, no problems with car very easy to hook up. Then again it is your Jeep, but for me a no brainer. Good Luck!

Susie, John and Babygirl
Fort Myers Fl.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

I would not worry about wear on the jeep. Only real issue is tire wear as off-road tires don't last as long as regular radials on the highway, and they cost more too. However, four down is the way to go.
I have a large jeep that I trailer tow as well as my 2003 rubicon that I flat tow. I have never had a flat on my rubicon, I have had countless flat tires on my trailer. At 7000lbs you are right at the limit and the tires on that trailer just don't stand up. I ended up getting a 12000lb trailer and don't have the tire issues I have with the 7000lb trailer. If you do get a trailer make sure to have a spare and the right tools to change the tire. I use a highlift in combo with one of those molded plastic tire lift ramps so that I don't have to take my jeep off the trailer.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
To me it is a no brainer tow four down and avoid a trailer altogether .
Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
I know those Jeeps are expensive and you want to preserve wear and tear as much as possible. Think of a couple of things - the cost of an aluminum trailer vs a tow bar and base plate, what do you do with the trailer after you get camp set up?, add the weight of the trailer to the weight of the Jeep - is your rig up to towing that?, time means little to a retired guy, but it is still a PIA, hooking the trailer and loading the jeep and strapping or chaining it in place will take a lot more time than hooking it to a towbar for flat towing. Just my 2 cents - do whatever makes you comfortable
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #14

cdinatal........the jury is in. Good luck with your decision.

dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow