Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The law should require those that don't obey to at least tell everyone else. I don't want to be the one following someone who isn't using a AUX braking system. My life is worth more to me than they know.

'07 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel 38N
Brazel's added: MP-8, Aero Muffler, Koni FSD Shocks, Bell Crank and Comfort Ride Control Valves. '08 Ford Escape Hybrid, Brakemaster 9100
Korryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Toad Brake

I tow a 3500# CRV. The second time out we were traveling thru the Adirondack Mt's when Bambi or one of her cousins flew across the road. I pounded the brakes and just missed her. I'm certain that without the toad brake I would have hit the deer square wth the front cap. The $1000. cost of the Evenbrake would have been small compared to repairing the front cap and ruining our vacation. I also agree with the other posters regarding the breakaway function of the toad brake. Peace of mind is priceless.

2002 Monaco Dynasty Regent, Cummins ISL 400 hp
05 CRV Toad, Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar and EvenBrake
Keithb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I towed my CJ 10 years behind my Safari Van without any brakes. At the time I didn't know auxilliary brake systems existed. What was I thinking, talk about the tail wagging the dog! Then I started towing it with my RV, couldn't even tell it was back there during normal driving situations.

Then I started reading these threads on aux braking systems and the horror (or better yet glory) stories about how the toad brakes saved the day and some lives. Bought a brake buddy, which I could swap easily to most any vehicle if needed. Never looked back.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you've just bought a new Jeep Wrangler, why not spend the extra bucks to save yourself a lot of grief in the future. Go to www.hitchtrader.com and find what will work for sale used. I bought my base plate and tow bar there.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we have an 09 Wrangler Sahara and I wouldnt feel comfortable towing it without some kind of brakeing system on it.
IV got the US Gear Unified on mine and it works great.
donnie(K7UTA), Linda, and 2furrykid s Buddy & Rain
2016 SouthWind32VS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
I tow a Jeep Liberty Renegade using a Brake Buddy Classic with break away.I was in a nasty collision, the supplementary braking system did exactly what it was supposed to do. I would not be without it, laws or no laws.

spanner9 is offline   Reply With Quote