Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
new jeep to tow PLEASE HELP

just got a new 2dr wrangler need to know(not the laws)
but the reality ,who tows with out a braking system
brian j

just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tncruiser, I tow a 1990 wrangler with an SMI brake system with my Workhorse chassis. My good friend tows his 98 wrangler with no brake system with his f53 ford chassis, No problem for him yet.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
I use the M&G system with breakaway. Don't care about the law... I don't want to hurt anyone because of a breakaway or inability to stop!
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I towed my former 2002 Jeep Wrangler all over the Country without a brake system and never had a problem.

We just purchased a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door which weighs 2,400 pounds more so I decided it was time to get a braking system.

SMI Stay in PLay is the way we went and just today I did the test drive. WOW what a difference from not having one to having a system which stops the jeep while your stopping.

Hope this helps.. PS SMI is very helpful and is located in Evansville, In.

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
You can do what you want if you are sure that it won't bother you if you kill someone because you couldn't stop short enough.
2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We tow a 1997 Jeep Wrangler without supplemental braking. No problems. I am currently investigating braking systems. It's probably my age but we'll be adding a system soon but it's not because I've had issues stopping. I've just concluded it's a good idea.
Larry and Cindy
Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Towing a Jeep Wrangler
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
We tow an 09 Wrangler Unlimited and use the US Gear Unified Tow Brake and break away system, (Most likely your HR is prewired for the US Gear system). My last Wrangler that I towed was an 01 Sahara with no tow brake. After towing with and without a tow brake I can tell you that I will never have a toad without a tow brake.

US Gear, M&G, and SMI are great products and seem to be the leading brands. Cooltech makes a great wiring harness that is easy to install yourself and Blue OX is my choice for base plate and the Aventa tow bar.

Congrats on the new Jeep.
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 2007 Wrangler Unlmtd. We use a Ready Brake / Ready brute tow / brake system. Not to be a butt head but why on earth would anyone not want to use aux braking, legal or not? My Ready Brake saved our bacon one day when a macaroon pulled in front of us on the hiway. I know for sure we would of had a crash without it.
Rick and Julia
2005 Dolphin 5376, W24, Solid Body Paint, Koni FSD's
2007 Wrangler Unlimited....it follows us everywhere.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Seems to me that a number of states have regulations on towed trailers and vehicles having brakes over a certain weight. This also seems designed to provide a public safety factor. So I have installed the M&G brake system. If it allows me to stop faster, drive legally in all states, and keeps me out of lawsuits if I have an accident. I think the brake system is worth the money. Must be getting old but I don't want to lose my family or my coach, so it's brakes for me.
2005 Diplomat 40PDQ, Jeep Liberty Diesel Toad
Randy, Pam & Rascal (150lb Rottweiler in a Jack Russell Terrier body)
jeepsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When towing, you can never be to safe. Julia and I have traveled 10's of thousands of miles with the Dolphin and Jeep with no issues. We happen to use the ready brake system but there are many good systems out there to make us travel safe. Good on you for getting your set up.
Rick and Julia
2005 Dolphin 5376, W24, Solid Body Paint, Koni FSD's
2007 Wrangler Unlimited....it follows us everywhere.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a motorhome and towed a dinghy, we use the BrakeMaster system with break away. The difference between stopping a foot or tow shorter in an emergency with dinghy brakes may mean the difference between stopping short of an accident or having an accident. The cost of one such accident will far out weigh the cost of a dinghy brake system.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, We have the same setup on our 09 as Hardy does and have had no problem with the setup at all towing with a Class C.
Personally, I would nt feel safe without some type of system on my toad should a failure occure with the tow system. But thats just me.
donnie(K7UTA), Linda, and 2furrykid s Buddy & Rain
2016 SouthWind32VS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I took one trip with the Wrangler behind a 40' diesel pusher. I just couldn't get my new system installed in time for that one trip. Every other time in about 80,000 miles of RVing I have used a braking system. Okay, you don't want to know about the laws so lets just cover the practical stuff:

Twice I had to nail the brakes seriously when someone pulled in front of me. Each time I was towing and each time I had an auxiliary braking system. Once was a US Gear Unified Tow Brake and the nexct time was the m&G system. In each circumstance I was able to barely stop without impacting the clown ahead of me. Had I not had an auxiliary braking system I would be getting some body work done on the front of my coach at the very least.

With a 34,000 lb coach pulling a Wrangler you'll hardly know it's even back there, even without a toad brake. However, that's under normal conditions. An auxiliary braking system will reduce your stopping distance and, as in my above two situations, saved my bacon. You don't buy auto insurance for when you don't have accidents. You buy it for when you do have an accident. The tow brake faklls into that same category.

Tow bars are not failsafe. Baseplates fall off, pins fall out, bars break, etc. If your toad comes loose it will become an unguided projectile. With a breakaway system that toad will come to a stop real fast. Try to imagine yourself driving in a vehicle on a two lane road when an oncoming RV suddenly launches it's breakaway toad head-on at you. That's one good reason to have a toad brake.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
I towed my cj7 for 10 years with no aux system , then had 2 REALLY close calls in one trip so I bought a VIP Mountainmaster , also bought an extra install kit so I can use it in DW grand cherokee . The following year one of the brackets that was bolted to the bumper broke. The brake system paid for itself . The breakaway switch set off the alarm in the coach put the brakes on in the jeep . That could have been a huge disaster. So for those of you that don't have a aux brake system , just remember that s--t happens and when it does it could be deadly!

2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote