Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Jeep Toad

I just got a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I have a few questions. I already ordered a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. I was thinking about putting on the SMI Air Force One for a brake system.

1. I have noticed on here people say you do not have to disconnect the battery because you donít need to leave the ignition switch on. The manual still states that you need to leave the ignition on Acc and disconnect the battery. Which is it?

2. Lights? I noticed that Cool Tec sells a harness that just plugs into the Jeep wireing. Does this work? Or is it better to wire in separate lights with another bulb in the Jeep taillight?

3. What else am I going to need?

Thanks,
mike

mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
I would follow the manual. Mine needs the key in the acc position to unlock the steering wheel.

I use a battery disconnect because the key is turned to acc and I don't want a dead battery.

I use the M&G brake system. The M&G uses air pressure from the coach to run the brakes. Jeep lights are running in parallel with the coach lights. I do not need any power in the Jeep for anything so I put a knife switch on the battery for a quick, fool proof, easy disconnect.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

If the wheel doesn't lock, you don't need to be in the ACC position.

My 07 Wrangler manual says that the vehicles with auto transmission don't lock.

WRONG!
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I tried mine and the steering wheel doesn't lock. So I am thinking I don't need to put it in the acc position or need to disconnect the battery. I just don't think they have updated the manual.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post
I just got a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I have a few questions. I already ordered a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. I was thinking about putting on the SMI Air Force One for a brake system.

1. I have noticed on here people say you do not have to disconnect the battery because you don’t need to leave the ignition switch on. The manual still states that you need to leave the ignition on Acc and disconnect the battery. Which is it?

2. Lights? I noticed that Cool Tec sells a harness that just plugs into the Jeep wireing. Does this work? Or is it better to wire in separate lights with another bulb in the Jeep taillight?

Thanks,
mike
I tow an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and I do not have to tow with the key in because the steering wheel does not have steering lock. I believe the 07 models do lock. Check to see if your's has steering lock, if not, no need for a key. Cooltech is the way to go I have there harness, tailgate shock and CB license plate kit. I also use the Blue Ox Aventa 11 and Blue Ox base plate. For aux brake system for the Jeep I went with US Gear Unified Tow braking system because Monaco, Winebago, and alot of top mfg's are pre-wired and reccomend this product.. US Gear also uses a breakaway system and an extra wire in the harness to keep the toad's battery charged.

Lot of good braking systems to also consider.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
From what I have learned from this and another Jeep forum, only the 2007 and 2008 Wranglers have steering locks which activate when the wheel is turned 180 degrees from straight ahead (that is how my 2007 works). You guys with 2009 and 2010 Wranglers are lucky and do not need the key in and turned to the accessory position when towing.

I used the Blue Ox baseplate and the Adventa II bar. I also use a Brake Buddy since my experience with previous toads was good with the BB system.

Happy towing your new Wrangler.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have a '10 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Had the Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit installed, and moved the AMI AFO system from our old toad to the Jeep. It all works fine. No need to pull any fuses. We put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park, and take the key out. Done.

joe
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post

1. I have noticed on here people say you do not have to disconnect the battery because you donít need to leave the ignition switch on. The manual still states that you need to leave the ignition on Acc and disconnect the battery. Which is it?

Thanks,
mike
Mike,
I was also confused by the seemingly misleading guidance in the manual for our 2010 Wrangler. I sent the folks at Jeep an email and here is the response--hope this sheds some light on the battery disconnect issue:

"Dear John:
Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.
Disconnecting the battery terminal is not necessary, however by doing
so, prevents drain and a dead battery after a long trip. As a 4x4, it is
important that the transfer casebe placed in neutral.

Thanks again for your email.
Also, I'd like the opportunity to inform you of a Rapid Response
Transmittal in regards to your vehicle: 09-092 2010 JK FLASH TRANS IN
DEFAULT MODE AFTER ENGINE S 12/03/2009 INCOMPLETE . It is not a
recall but it is recommended that a dealer perform.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER: 19246599
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2403450
REPLY LINK: DCAnswers ".
Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the the wire harness from Cool Tech. Now I need to get a brake system put into the coach and toad and I will be ready to go.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No need to disconnect the bat. Just pull the IOD fuse under the hood. My 07 does have a steering lock. If you are wondering if yours has it, turn the steering wheel 360 degrees in each direction with the key out of the ignition. I tow with the key in the number one position. I also use a Cooltech LLC wiring harness and a Ready Brute / Ready Brake tow system. Because my MH brake lights are also blinkers, I remove the M1 fuse as well as the IOD.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I got everything installed. Today I had the Air Force One installed. Towed it back about 25 miles from Redlands Truck & RV. Everything worked great. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
OK I have read a lot of posts in several different forms " Motorhome and Jeep ". About towing a 09 JK without having a KEY in the ignition turned on to the aCC position. Every one on them said it was OK. But the stealership said the manual said to use the key so you have to. Finale got the stealership to contact a tech and he said that the manual said to. So yes you have to use the key. Just in case the column locked. Even though the 09s do NOT have steering column locks. Has anyone talked to someone who said it was OK to tow without the key in the ign. Or have so proof that it is OK. Makes sense NO Lock No Key but is it OK. Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your stealership is wrong. No Lock...you need no key. I have 2010 Jeep Sahara Wrangler.

Will be installing either Air Force one or M&G breaking System. I haven't made up my mind yet. Seems M&G is cheaper..??

Cool Tech Harness seems the way to go, Blue Ox base plate and Tow Bar.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Dear Randall:
Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.
Regarding your question about towing a Wrangler behind a Motorhome, this is per our Service Engineering Group:
---"... the key must be on per the owners manual. This is to prevent
the steering from locking also to allow the jeep to be out of gear."
Also, our database indicates your vehicle VIN has an outstanding Repair
Action:
09-018 2009 MYGIG SPLASH SCREEN FROZEN/BATTERY DRAIN
Please contact your local dealer to have this repair performed at no
charge to you.
Thanks again for your email.
Sincerely,
Tomas
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER: 19367498
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2425719
REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_forms/us/reply.jsp?trk_ID=KMM6892542I25261L0KM&

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

US Customer Service - Jeep Brand Site
Brief Description:
Towing a 2009 Unlimited 4 door Rubicon
Comments:
Do I need to have the key in the ignition and have it the ACC position
to
tow a 2009 jeep behind my motorhome. And if so WHY.I have already asked this question once 19337936 and never received a answer.

VIN:
9L728265
Mileage:
Servicing Dealer:
Bergeron
Title:
Mr.
First Name:
Randall
Middle Initial:
T
Last Name:
Guarino
Address 1:
2312 Elizabeth St.
Address 2:

City:
Metairie
State:
LA
Zip:
Email:
rguarin@entergy.com
Home Phone:
504.887.4535 This is the last responce I received from Chrysler. They keep insisting that what is in the owners manual is the only way to set up for towing. And they will not admit or acknowledge that the 2009 and the 2010 Jeeps do not have steering column locks and that they can be towed without a key in the ignition. I did tow my 09 2 weeks ago without the key after doing a test drive with DW seating in the Jeep watching the steering wheel. Every thing worked fine. I just want Chrysler to say it is OK to tow this way. I have the Roadmaster All Terrain Blackhawk 10,000 lb tow bar with the Cool Tech wirning harness. I also put the Toad Charger on my 09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. Now I can tow either my 09 Unlimited 4 dr Rubicon or my 03 2 dr Rubicon.