Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

New Member Needs a Little Advice about towing setup

Hello Fellow Members,

I am the happy new-to-me owner of a 2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 31' (my first motorhome). I need to purchase a breaking system (and a tow bar and base plate) for my Jeep Grand Cherokee and have done a lot of research. It seems the more I research, the more confused I get. I see that a lot of owners like the ReadyBrute Elite RV Tow Bar with the integrated breaking system but I can't seem to find anyone (other than direct from vendor) that sells them. I'm willing to purchase direct, however, then I have a problem with the installation as I am not handy enough or comfortable enough (especially with brakes) to do it myself.

Does anyone have advice on (1) the best braking system to buy for my gas vehicle (no air brakes), or (2) if it is the ReadyBrute Elite, where do I get it installed where I know the person installing it is qualified. I live in Hendersonville NC and would prefer to not have to travel hours to get this done.

Any advice on this subject is much appreciated.

2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 31'
pattieatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I believe that NSA ReadyBrake's website used to have a listing of authorized resellers/installers. When we bought ours, I called a local RV repair shop to get estimates for the installation. Luckily, my hubby decided he could do it himself as it is not a complicated installation. I'd say call around to local RV shops and see who might be willing to install the system for you.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You may want to check out the Toad forum at the link below, you may find that your question has already been asked and answered there

Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Congrats on the new mh. As for towing, first step is to determine your capabilities. Depending on the chassis, your Admiral may be rated to tow as little as 4,000 lbs or as high as 5,500 lbs. Your Jeep could be over or close to the max. A starting point would be to find the placard that shows your max weights, find the GVWR (max for the mh) and the GCWR (max for the mh plus the toad). Difference is what you could tow. Ready to travel you may not be at the GVWR so that could add to the towing side but most of us are really close to the gross once everything is packed, fuel is topped off and some water on board.

Once you've determined that your Jeep will or won't work, the towing and braking systems come to play. Several choices and therefore as May opinions on the best way to go. I use a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate plus a Brake Buddy brake in a box. I ran a charge wire from the mh 7 pin charging pin to the toad battery. Keeps the toad battery topped of so no issue if you don't start it periodically. Takes probably 5 minutes to hook up and go, less to disconnect. I would not tow without a break away system that applies the brakes should the tow bar break to the base plate become disconnected from the vehicle. I'll grant you that this is rare but I saw on this fall on I-75 in Ky.
Good luck and enjoy your new freedom.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pat! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the group!

I too highly recommend the ReadyBrute Elite package! I bought mine from Tow Bars Unlimited in the spring of 2012. Not sure if they still sell them. Their phone number is 850-499-9025. I also bought my Roadmaster baseplate from them. I had a local truck accessory dealer install mine.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to the vendor's web page.. There will be one (or both) of two links.

FIND A STORE
CONTACT US

If the first link exists, Follow it, generally you put in your ZIP code and it either gives you the local dealers or says "Sorry"

In the 2nd, you E-mail them (Sales if there is a choice) with the question "Where can I buy your product".

One concern I have seen raised, I do not feel it will affect me but ...

These units use a cable system, Like the shifter and brake cables on my Bicycle, Like the parking brake cables on many Cars, this is a cable within a flexible sheath.

IF they are not used often enough.. They tend to sieze up.

So work the cables from time to time and/or get a cable lube kit.

Which reminds me.. need to work my bicycle.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just google ReadyBrute Elite and a lot of dealers will come up. I'm not worried about the cable siezing up, I've owned and used motorcycles for over 40 years, last one I kept for 16 years and never had problems with the brake or throttle cables. That doesn't mean I'll never have a problem, but I think it's a good indicatation that the cables aren't something to worry about or be a determining factor when deciding what system to get.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, holiday rambler, new member, towing