RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #141

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just completed a 4000 mile trip, now have about 10K total towing the 2018 GC, have yet to experience the wobble.

Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #142

Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus

I am looking at 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4, V6 for a toad, so these issues have been supposedly fixed by Jeep? I am presently using a tow dolly and a front wheel drive Nissan.

RJcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJcamps View Post
I am looking at 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4, V6 for a toad, so these issues have been supposedly fixed by Jeep? I am presently using a tow dolly and a front wheel drive Nissan.
There is a "towing enhancement harness" available, and necessary, for four-wheel-down towing of the "KL" Cherokee, AD2 models. Don't let the sales people tell you that "the problem is fixed" unless they're willing to install this 'fix'**. (The AD1 Cherokees and FWD Cherokees are not four-down towable at all.)

You can get more information on all this in the threads about the Cherokee, in this and other forums. Also read the section in the Cherokee Owner's manual about towing; OM's are available online at the Jeep website.

**Since you are in the "looking" phase you may be able to negotiate installation of the aforementioned harness as part of the deal. Safe travels.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #144

Gee, you guys are scaring me! I have been pulling a'14 GJ, from MI. to AZ. and back every year, and I pulled an '11 before that, and have never experienced it! Now I've done it! Probably should have kept my mouth shut!! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #145

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Gee, you guys are scaring me! I have been pulling a'14 GJ, from MI. to AZ. and back every year, and I pulled an '11 before that, and have never experienced it! Now I've done it! Probably should have kept my mouth shut!! LOL!!
14 GC has conventional hydraulic steering. Issue didn't exist in the GC until 2016 when they changed to EPS.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #146

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I have ask these questions to all that have had "The Wobble" with any Toad.

All of you claim that your hook up is level, what do you call level? Is that when you hook it up the first time? or is that at actual travel height of the MH?
It may look level but did you measure from the ground to lets say the tow bar brackets prior to hook up and then again after it's connected to the MH and the MH is at travel Height? I stress this because DP's have air bags and their travel height is different than when they start it up.
Also have all of you just grabbed your Tow Bar with it extended and not connected to the Toad and attempted to shake it up and down left and right, if it clunks then you need to install a Quiet Hitch. Any movement in the Tow bar will up/down/side to side will be exacerbated by the Toad's movement. Once this starts you will not be able to stop it at any speed except by stopping.
Also if your MH pulls up on the front end of the Toad, basically it unloads the frontend and allows the wheels to move freely.
As I have said, I have not had any issues because I have taken out all of the factors that might cause the issue.
By the way it's not just Jeeps, GM has seen it's share of the same problem. It all has to deal with the EPS not having power when being towed flat, but if you fix the things I talked about you will be better off.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #147

American Coach Owners Club
I think all of us understand air suspension’s. Some of us have them on the MH and some of us have them on the Jeep also. Two air ride suspension’s. Maybe they’ll cancel each other out.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #148

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK I have ask these questions to all that have had "The Wobble" with any Toad.

All of you claim that your hook up is level, what do you call level? Is that when you hook it up the first time? or is that at actual travel height of the MH?
It may look level but did you measure from the ground to lets say the tow bar brackets prior to hook up and then again after it's connected to the MH and the MH is at travel Height? I stress this because DP's have air bags and their travel height is different than when they start it up.
Also have all of you just grabbed your Tow Bar with it extended and not connected to the Toad and attempted to shake it up and down left and right, if it clunks then you need to install a Quiet Hitch. Any movement in the Tow bar will up/down/side to side will be exacerbated by the Toad's movement. Once this starts you will not be able to stop it at any speed except by stopping.
Also if your MH pulls up on the front end of the Toad, basically it unloads the frontend and allows the wheels to move freely.
As I have said, I have not had any issues because I have taken out all of the factors that might cause the issue.
By the way it's not just Jeeps, GM has seen it's share of the same problem. It all has to deal with the EPS not having power when being towed flat, but if you fix the things I talked about you will be better off.
With all due respect, I think you don't understand the wobble (Grand Cherokee version anyway) at all. Having experienced my 5th or 6th wobble (I've lost count) a couple of days ago, I can only say, IMHO of course, that it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how level my towbar is. Our wobble, as has been exhaustively explained in this and other threads, is caused when one or both front wheels experience some combination of turn and impact (rough pavement while turning, for example) that induces a left-right oscillation that the inactive EPS has no ability to dampen. I don't care how perfectly level your hookup is, enough of a bump/turn input WILL cause my GC front end to wobble.

However, I remain unfazed. It happens, I stop, it's over -- 10 seconds max. My GC is still maybe my favorite car ever.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #149

OK, so I finally decided to write the letter to Mike Manley, using the link provided. The next day, I received a phone call from a representative of his wanting more information. I did my best to answer her questions. I told her that I had towed my Grand Cherokee over 5,000 miles and had experienced the wobble 4 times. Two of those times was within 20 minutes of each other. I got the impression that she cared about the information I was giving her, until she asked if I had taken the Jeep to my dealer in an attempt re re-create the problem. I asked her why I would do that? Do they have a motorhome that they will hook it up to and tow it, cause they sure aren't using mine. I then told her the outcome will be, "Sorry we could not reproduce the problem". It would be a waste of time for both them and me.

I then told her of my most recent experience with the dealership. Every time I drive home from work (12 miles on the Baltimore Beltway), I smell that sweet smell of antifreeze. I do not find any evidence of a leak, but in a closed system, I should not smell it. I took the car to the dealer and even their service writer smelled the antifreeze and said that shouldn't be. Two days later, I got my car back with "We were unable to reproduce the problem".

At this point I asked the lady on the phone, what she thought the dealership would say about the wobble on my Grand Cherokee? She said that if I don't take it to the dealership, there is nothing more they can do.

I told her that this problem is real, and should it occur at highway speeds, there was a very good chance there would be a loss of control causing an accident. I told her Jeep Better take this seriously, before somebody gets hurt or killed.

I am very tempted to copy the link to this thread and mail it to them, not that I think it will help. They have to be aware of the problem, but choose to ignore it for now.

Good Luck to all.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #150

@SuperGewl, you're right about all the statements regarding making towbar level, ensureit is securely connected, etc. However the wobble is in the steering system of the Jeep, not in the towbar.

@Crabby Mike, and others, described the exact situation of the steering system vibrating. It's the EPS vibrating because there's no hydraulic damping like in the older models which had hydraulic PS.

Think of the guitar-string that's plucked and vibrates to the note to which it is tuned. It doesn't matter how loosely or tightly the guitar strap is over your shoulder.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #151

New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble

BPoland. Send me the contact information of the rep that you spoke to. I don’t care for her attitude and will bring her up to speed on my history with Jeep corporate.

Las

In my first contact with FCA, included the web link for the 3 forum threads that were active at the time.

FCA has also received the spreadsheet from the Southeast district, from me directly to Mr. Manley and Steve Stander, and from FMCA.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #152

Tiffin Owners Club
I then told her of my most recent experience with the dealership. Every time I drive home from work (12 miles on the Baltimore Beltway), I smell that sweet smell of antifreeze. I do not find any evidence of a leak, but in a closed system, I should not smell it.

BPoland,
Did you receive a letter from FCA regarding your water pump?
I recently received a letter stating my warranty for the water pump has been changed from 5 years/100,000 miles to 7 years/unlimited miles for Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles dating 2013-2017.
The reason given is some of the vehicles may experience a noise or leak in the water pump.

A small leak could possibly be the source of your coolant odor.
Yianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yianni View Post
I then told her of my most recent experience with the dealership. Every time I drive home from work (12 miles on the Baltimore Beltway), I smell that sweet smell of antifreeze. I do not find any evidence of a leak, but in a closed system, I should not smell it.

BPoland,
Did you receive a letter from FCA regarding your water pump?
I recently received a letter stating my warranty for the water pump has been changed from 5 years/100,000 miles to 7 years/unlimited miles for Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles dating 2013-2017.
The reason given is some of the vehicles may experience a noise or leak in the water pump.

A small leak could possibly be the source of your coolant odor.
I have the V6 in my 2016 GC. Is that the engine you have as well?
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #154

Monaco Owners Club
I had to have my water pump replaced on my 2014 GC Hemi because it was leaking at 19,000 miles. Same issue, smelled the antifreeze but saw no leak.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote