Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #211

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
In my Signature line.
2017 Newmar LE 4037 - 2018 Ford Edge
Sold - DP 2017 Discovery LXE 40D
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
You are correct. Sorry to hear about your Jeep wobble experiences. I understand your concerns and do not subscribe those who trivialize the concerns of other owners.

Here's hoping that your Ford is more stabil, and you do not experience wobble issues. Keep us all apprised as there may be others who are looking for a change.

Be safe.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #212

New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble

If I’m reading correctly, posts indicate that FCA has designed and released an anti wobble harness for the Grand Cherokee and since my dealer does not have any information on this part, can anyone post a part number.

I know of at many owners of 2016 & 2017 GC’s who would be interested in buying that harness.

Las
Old 11-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #213

10 seconds more

I have a '17 GC. Is there a fix for it? Dlr is unaware, and I couldn't find it in this long thread.
TriCitySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCitySam View Post
I have a '17 GC. Is there a fix for it? Dlr is unaware, and I couldn't find it in this long thread.

I’m asking the same question. I’ve heard the rumor for almost 2 years now but no one has been able to confirm with a part number.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #215

American Coach Owners Club
There’s not one for the Grand Cherokee.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #216

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
There’s not one for the Grand Cherokee.

That is also my understanding after talking to Jeep Care. It wasn't fixed in the 2017 GC with bake in harness. I wish since my 2017 GC was a left over purchased in Nov 2017.
Lass can give the years that you have documented reports having the wobble?

Does any heard any problems with the newer GC?
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Lass can give the years that you have documented reports having the wobble?GC?

The following years of the Grand Cherokee have been documented to have experienced the wobble.
2016,2017,& 2018. My involvement stopped when I traded the 2017 GC Summit for the 2018 JLU Rubicon.

This information is a combination of my original spreadsheet and information from FMCA.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #218

I am looking for the most current info on this problem. We have a 2019 GC Summit, and it has happened 4 times now - all after a slow speed hard L or R turn with an uneven/bumpy surface. Clearly, I need to document it with Jeep and start looking for a solution.
Can you tell me what the status of this issue is, with FMCA and with Fiat/Chrysler?
Thanks so much!
Meredith Bradley
MerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #219

Meredith. Unfortunately, within the last 30 days, you are the second person to report the GC wobble for the 2019 model year.

You probably won’t like the answer but FCA has not acknowledged the problem nor are they actively pursuing a solution. FMCA has also stopped their involvement.

The only thing the we can recommend is that when the wobble does occur you must come to a full stop. If you’re in a safe place, I would also check my tow equipment to insure that nothing has come loose.

Here’s a name for you but don’t expect a satisfactory response. He worked for Mike Manley.

Steve.stander@fcagroup.com

586-274-8086
Old 07-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #220

Jeep Grand Cherokee "Wobble" when being flat towed

I'd welcome some help in terms of getting the word out to other Jeep GC owners who have experienced the "wobble" that they need to document their experiences with Jeep Customer Care.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/...-contact-Jeep2

We have a 2019 Jeep GC Summit and we have experienced the "wobble" after a turn on 4 separate occasions. We tow the GC behind our 2017 Newmar London Aire.

I have contacted Jeep and reported the problem. I now have a case number assigned and will continue to pursue this with them.

But I know anecdotally that it is happening to other Jeep GC owners, and we really need to help Jeep to understand how many of us are affected by this significant problem.

I understand that FMCA is out of the loop now. Are there other forums where this message needs to go?

I'd welcome suggestions on how best to mount a campaign to build awareness of the problem and let FCA know how many of us there are.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!
MerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #221

I’ve had this happen to me 4 or 5 times in 36,000 miles of towing on my 2018 GC Summit behind my 2018 Newmar Dutch Star. I tried reporting it. FCA simply disavows any knowledge of the matter. Lots of rumors, lots of noise when FMCA got involved but the end result amounts to little more than a shoulder shrug from FCA. They are clearly “ropey doping“... Acknowledging the issue would Cost $$$, hurt the brand and might jeopardize the standing of their best sellers... certainly more Jeeps are towed behind motorhomes than any other vehicle.

When it happens to me it’s always at slow speeds (under 25 MPH). I simply brake to a stop then drive off again. Literally takes only a couple of seconds. So far, at that slow speed, nearby traffic was not impacted. It is a little unnerving when it happens the first couple of times, but it’s just second nature to stop/start now.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #222

Has Anybody Else Had Success With Wheel Alignment?

I first experienced the wobble several times during the spring/summer of 2017 with my then new 2017 GC TrailHawk. That's when I discovered this thread. I took the Jeep in for regular service in August that year and mentioned the wobble and was told, of course, "Oh, that only happens on the Cherokees, not on Grand Cherokees"... I countered that it definitely does occur but I realize FCA refuses to acknowledge it. Dropped the subject and proceeded to check in for servicing and the advisor mentioned they're having a special offer on alignments and I agreed to have it done... It hasn't wobbled since - through the 2018, 2019, and 2020 (necessarily truncated) travel seasons. I have even purposely adjusted routing to make tight turns on previously problematical places. I questioned the service advisors in subsequent visits if they had a 'secret' alignment for towed GC's but of course they deny that. Personally, I suspect they tweaked the caster angle a bit but I can't prove it.
Ol_Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #223

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Opa View Post
It hasn't wobbled since - through the 2018, 2019, and 2020 (necessarily truncated) travel seasons. I have even purposely adjusted routing to make tight turns on previously problematical places. I questioned the service advisors in subsequent visits if they had a 'secret' alignment for towed GC's but of course they deny that. Personally, I suspect they tweaked the caster angle a bit but I can't prove it.
That is a interesting theory.
Usually when they do the alignment, they give you a computer printout of the settings.....do you have that????can you post it??

Thanks,

Dan
Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 AM   #224

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
That is a interesting theory.
Usually when they do the alignment, they give you a computer printout of the settings.....do you have that????can you post it??

Thanks,

Dan
First off every guy or shop with an alignment rack is not automatically capable of aligning every car or brand of car. So who aligns your Jeep is important. So the Caster is between 6-7 degrees. Which is better for correcting this problem? 6 or 7? Every one that does an alignment has a different answer. Some will say either, just as long as it's one or the other, yet some may say they find that a fat 7* is better and others will say a slim 6* is better. So which is it that stops or nullifies this problem? I don't know

What is truly interesting is that some are making it that possibly simply correcting the Alignment is a conspiracy. I said several times before that for the units that have the problem there could be several or multiple factors that "might" cause it. Incorrect loads in the Jeeps as a heavy load in the rear, improper tow bar alignment, improper air pressure in the Jeeps tires, faulty tires on the Jeep, alignment problems as in both Caster and or Toe-in just to name a few.

Here are three questions and answers that relate to what I have just said:

1. "How does caster affect steering?

Steering wheel returnability is dependent on the caster angle, and most vehicles incorporate positive caster (~ 6-7 degrees) into both front wheels. Turning the wheel lifts the front end a little, and releasing the wheel allows the weight of the vehicle to push back down, assisting return to center."

2. "How does steering wheel return to its original position?

When you turn the steering wheel to direct the front wheels, the wheels pivot about an axis that is far away from being vertical. ... When you let go of the steering wheel, the weight of the car pulls the steering back to its original position. This makes clear why steering wheel returns to center after turn."

3. "Why do the front wheels have to be steered to measure caster?

When you turn the steering wheel, the front wheels respond by turning on a pivot attached to the suspension system. Caster is the angle of this steering pivot, measured in degrees, when viewed from the side of the vehicle. ... If the caster is out of adjustment, it can cause problems in straight line tracking."

4. " Caster angle helps prevent pull and reduces the risk of kingpin or ball-shimmy. Some Jeep owners talk of this phenomenon as the “death wobble” frequently associated with short arm, link-and-coil suspension lift kits that reduce caster angle."

This is from a very informative article on Jeep alignment.

https://www.4wdmechanix.com/moses-lu...ent-equipment/

Also I have not mentioned over size off road wheels and tires or spacers to increase the width of the front wheels and....... the list is endless and no one is going to blame the problem on what they did to their Jeep after all it is a Jeep and the accessories are endless.

One more thing that comes to mind. And I'm not suggesting that Fiat get away with anything here but we are down to just a few flat towed cars and with the stroke of a lawyers pen Fiat can just walk away from all of this by stating that their Jeep is not to be flat towed. Their problem is solved. Ours just begins.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote