Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #29

Just a thought....

I think the QuadraLift needs to be noted on the spreadsheet. To the best of my knowledge Overland and Summit the QuadraLift is standard. For the Limited it's an option.

My observation is QuadraLift is active even with the key off. Just loading or unloading something in the car can cause the compressor to engage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #30

Reference 32507520
BPoland
Bill Poland 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 16,285 miles
Experienced death wobble 2 times at 14,300 miles - usual circumstances - hard left turn with broken pavement. Stopped. Restarted, and problem went away. Both times had similar circumstances.
Blue Ox Baseplate, Aventa LX 10,000 towbar. All connect points are tight, and towbar is +/- 1" from level.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #31

New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble

Thanks Bill. Your information has been logged.

I read your previous post about hitting the brakes the next time it happens. That will be interesting.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #32

I have the same trailhawk, and demco dominator tow bar. I order the fix from jeep for 125.00. I had a difficult time at the dealership finding anybody that knew anything about it. It was the largest dealer in Eastern Iowa. The senior mechanic that installed it had never installed one. Other than having to pull the fuse every time when put back into use, it has worked perfectly. 1000 plus miles, no wobble.
Aspectrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Well this is what I got from Jeep Care for a fix this morning.

"Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

I understand your frustration here. I must be very frustrating being unable to identify the issue with the vehicle while flat towing behind your motor home. Having dealt with this issue in the past for other customers I can state you are not alone in these feelings. However the issue itself is actually not with the jeep. The issue is that when flat towing some brake controllers do not have the required power to effectively allow the jeep to be towed correctly and not experience a wandering effect behind the vehicle towing them. In recognition of this Jeep has released an amendment to the Manual that came with the vehicle.

Please see:
"If the customer is experiencing vehicle shake while recreationally towing, a Mopar Accessory kit (68321424AB) is available to improve the flat tow towing behavior. Owners may contact their local dealer for purchase and installation."

This Mopar kit was designed to improve the flat towing capability of the vehicle when using a brake controller that may not be supplying enough power to correctly assist the Jeeps braking system. Having this system installed should prevent the described issue while flat towing behind your motor home.

Thank you again for your email. "

I just picked up the key and left the dealership without them doing anything. I probable made an (donkey) of myself, but the email came in while I was there waiting. I'm about ready to trade it and take a beating.

I guess if you drag the brakes when starting off from a dead stop it will eliminate the wobble! I'm not an automotive engineer but somehow I think they are on the wrong track. (I don't even know if they know what model I have)
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #34

Mike the information that you were given doesn't reference the Grand Cherokee, so I did a quick google search for that wiring harness 68321424ab and it is described for the Cherokee.

If we look at the actual bulletin, it specifically states for the KL Cherokee.

Im going continue pursuing this with FMCA.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-029-16, DATED MARCH 17, 2016, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE UPDATED VEHICLE INFORMATION AND REMOVAL OF VEHICLE BUILD DATE.
SUBJECT:
Accessory Kit to Enhance Flat Tow Performance
MODELS:
2014 - 2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets: NAFTA.
NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 4x4 (Sales Code 5I4) and with Jeep Active Drive II (Sales Code DK4).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe that their vehicle shakes or bounces while being flat towed.
DISCUSSION:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, a Mopar Accessory kit is available to improve flat tow towing behavior. Ensure that all instructions included in the kit (#K6862569), are followed during the install process.
PARTS REQUIRED:
POLICY:
Information Only
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of FCA US LLC.

Qty.
Part No.
Description
68321424AB
Wiring Kit - Recreational Flat Tow
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cheroke...08_029_16a.pdf
Old 09-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #35

Las, I know the kit referenced is for the Cherokee. I guess I'm being sarcastic about it. The folks that are going to explain to the dealer how to repair my Jeep can't even decipher the difference between a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee VIN number. Then go off on some crazy story about how its not Jeeps problem but a brake controller issue that the harness corrects. The harness kit referenced has nothing to do with brakes but for steering.

All this after I have explained that it starts from a dead stop with a turn. Nothing to do with braking.

I guess I've gotten to the point that I'm tired of the BS stories I've been getting from the dealer and FCA for a year. When this first started I could not find anyone else that it had happened to. I have replaced towbar, baseplates and brake system thinking it must be some combination of circumstances that was happening just with me. When I started to hear of other folks having the problem it made me feel better that at least I wasn't crazy or doing something wrong. After the response this morning I guess I have had enough. I'm tired of dumping money into a mistake that I made and not sure that FCA could make me happy no matter what they do. I love the Jeep as a daily driver. I have put as of today 23000+ miles on it in a year and that's with me not being able to drive several months due to surgery. Must like it to drive it twice as much as my other vehicle.
Anyway sorry for the rant, just been a bad day.
Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #36

Mike The forum is a good place to let off some steam and I hope that it made you feel better. I've had my Summit for 6 weeks now and will do everything I can to get this to FMCA and a resolution from FCA. They aren't off the hook yet.

Have your favorite beverage and sit back for a while.

I got this.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
I finally contacted FCA about my concern, even though we still have not pulled our Summit.

Here are the particulars:

Reference number: 32513587
Year / Model: 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
Mileage on Summit: 34610
Tires: Michelin Defender 265/50-20 (new at 33000 miles)
Towing Hardware (when installed): Blue Ox Aventa LX
Auxiliary Braking System: Air Force One (air actuated).

No issues to report. See following.

We have not towed this vehicle yet. We are concerned about all of the reports of 'wobble' when low speed sharp turns are followed by a disturbance (bump/ridge in the road). We need to move tow hardware from our 2011 CR-V and sell the Honda. We need a solution from FCA.

We will tow this at 'normal' height with "Entry/Exit" mode disabled. I will take whatever action necessary to make sure the tow bar runs level (+/-1").
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Well this is what I got from Jeep Care for a fix this morning.

"Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

I understand your frustration here. I must be very frustrating being unable to identify the issue with the vehicle while flat towing behind your motor home. Having dealt with this issue in the past for other customers I can state you are not alone in these feelings. However the issue itself is actually not with the jeep. The issue is that when flat towing some brake controllers do not have the required power to effectively allow the jeep to be towed correctly and not experience a wandering effect behind the vehicle towing them. In recognition of this Jeep has released an amendment to the Manual that came with the vehicle.

Please see:
"If the customer is experiencing vehicle shake while recreationally towing, a Mopar Accessory kit (68321424AB) is available to improve the flat tow towing behavior. Owners may contact their local dealer for purchase and installation."

This Mopar kit was designed to improve the flat towing capability of the vehicle when using a brake controller that may not be supplying enough power to correctly assist the Jeeps braking system. Having this system installed should prevent the described issue while flat towing behind your motor home.

Thank you again for your email. "

I just picked up the key and left the dealership without them doing anything. I probable made an (donkey) of myself, but the email came in while I was there waiting. I'm about ready to trade it and take a beating.

I guess if you drag the brakes when starting off from a dead stop it will eliminate the wobble! I'm not an automotive engineer but somehow I think they are on the wrong track. (I don't even know if they know what model I have)
For the "WK2" Grand Cherokees experiencing the wobble issue, there is yet no fix .... which is what this thread is all about.

The wobble-while-towing issue with the "KL" Cherokee has a fix, a wiring harness which activates the necessary systems to prevent wobble. The wobble issue has absolutely nothing to do with "some brake controllers".

FCA-Chrysler-Jeep should know better than to make a statement like this.

They sought a patent, back in 2010, for the software for "vibration mitigation" for the EPS systems in their Chrysler 200 and other cars, which later was incorporated into the Cherokee. The Cherokee was rolled out in 2014 , advertised as "the ideal towed vehicle" by the way. Soon, motor-homers towing the KL reported wobble while towing. Sometime in 2015-2016 the wiring "kit",Mopar Accessory kit (68321424AB), which allows one to turn the EPS ON while towing with engine off. It was made available, at no cost to owners ... at first.

Members of this forum owning Grand Cherokees are now trying to get a fix for their problems, which may have the same root cause and hopefully a similar solution.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Case #: 32384880
FLYCMA
John Buxbaum
2017 Grand Cherokee Summit, 9250 miles
Experienced severe wobble 4x, always after complete stop and normal turn
FlyCMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #40

The final tally for the Jeep Grand Cherokee case Reference numbers are as follows:

Received 11 Reference numbers:
**8 owners who had experience the "wobble" while towing behind their RV.
**3 owners not towing but are concerned with potential damage / liability.

I have also copied posts from 6 members who have not responded to my PM"s but have experienced the "wobble" while towing.

If Jeep follows the same process as they did with the KL Cherokee and contact owners directly, they will be a able to use the Case Reference No. for information about your VIN; email; and phone number.

I thought about posting the spreadsheet in the forum, but not sure if it would be prudent, so if any of the 11 owners would like to receive a copy, send me an email request. Not a PM. That will not allow me to attached a document.

So based on what we have, I will be in contact with John Johnston at FMCA and go forward and secure a solution.

Las
Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #41

As of today we are attempting to install the wiring harness kit for the Cherokee on our Grand Cherokee.

After going back and forth with James with Jeep customer assistance center the wiring harness is the same. I'll know shortly. He has assured me that the harness will work on either vehicle. I have my mechanic working on it now.
We looked at the way the harness works and if the computer harness is the same it should be a drop in.
Mike
Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #42

Thanks mike. Good to know.

Now the question is how are you going to test it? Are you using the information from rpasetto in post #25?