Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Honda Fit with a manual trans. Very lightweight, great mileage, and a very versatile / spacious interior for the size of vehicle...
Have to agree with you. The interior can hold quite a bit of cargo. Also, around town when not towing I get 33 mpg. Other vehicles may not get that kind of mileage.

Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Chevy Malibu

I found a chevy malibu set up and ready to go, like the HHR can be towed 4 down, I put receiver hitch on back of that and put bike rack on there. Nice roomy car and very comfortable, I looked at Jeep, and some others but wanted a car that was practical for use when not being towed, this was my choice. Mine is the Maxx LTZ and I love it. Several years of the Malibu can be towed, as mentioned below by removing one fuse, have switch on mine to avoid pulling fuse. Manual says can be towed up to 60 MPH. Lots of them out there.

Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #17
When we had a Class C Tioga with a Ford V-10 we towed a Ford Explorer sport the two door model it was a great toad, make sure it is a 4 X 4. Had a neutral tow switch installed by ford for 100.00.

Jeep would be my choice now.
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
WOW!! thanks Ya"ll... I thought I was restricted to 1 or 2 vehicles. I like, the simple the better idea. keep them coming.
Found out that dealerships are very aggressive, I understand sales men trying to make a living, but gees!!. I have to take my time and find the right vehicle for our needs.
Thanks, riche
riche156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
We have a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep Liberty. Both are set up to tow. Which one we take depends on what our needs and desires will be at destination. Set up both to tow myself. Check Craigslist or hitch trader for used tow bars and base plates. We use a Roadmaster Even Brake system that works in either toad. It also was used and purchased on ebay. Total set up for both vehicles and blue ox tow bar and brake system was under $1200.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Needing to have bed capacity in our toad for a Suzuki intruder, I lucked our when a friend of mine was selling his 1992 GMC Sonoma. One of the last GM models to use a manually-operated transfer case, I got towing capability with no modifications. Just unlock the steering, shift the transfer case into neutral, transmission in park and go!

I paid $2,300 for it and, though it now has 177,000 on the odometer, the 4.3 L V-6 burns no oil between changes. It is also my personal vehicle when we're at home.

Notice the minimal base plate for towing? You have to look for it to see it! I made it out of a surplus frame-style trailer hitch.

Hitting the road for Arizona. Might have waited a day or two too long.

With a 7' bed, the Suzuki fits with the tailgate up. . .

Come fishing season, with the canopy on, the boat fits on top.
'99 Trop-i-cal 6370 37' / Ford V-10
'92 GMC Sonoma 4.3L 4WD toad
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Another good point for my Piaggio MP3. It a mega scooter snd there several bile racks and ramps available for th including a hitch ramp that attaches yo any mh hitch. So when I get to a cg and I want go somewhere I just roll my scooter off the back of my mh and go. There's even a Plexiglas enclosure available to turn the bike into something similar to one of those Smart cars. Tiny but with the trunk space of a sentra.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
So now my bike is all weather and ggets 65mpg and can still do 70+down the highway. And a scooter is tons of fun in town and can park anywhere. I'll buy a good lock.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
We are on our second Saturn toad, the current one a 2009 Vue which holds 2 bikes easily with the front tires removed. Plenty of room to store the tires behind the seats too. We tow with a Blue Ox tow bar--super easy to hook up, and the only thing required in the Saturn is pulling the 2 amp dash fuse to tow 4 wheels down. We only tow up to 65 MPH as per owners' manual and tows like a dream. Even though the Saturn is no longer made, you may be able to find one for a reasonable price, and I have noticed that Chevy seems to be using the same body as the Vue, but I don't know what the model is called (I know it's not the Equinox)--I've seen several around here in the Midwest.
Hope you find something to meet your needs!
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The new Chevy Captiva is the old Saturn Vue, we just bought one recently and have it set up for towing behind our RV. We like it alot and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a lighter vehicle, 4 doors, automatic transmission, comfortable, affordable,flat towable, to be towed behind a motorhome.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We have been pulling our Ford Escape Hybrid 4X4 for the past year. It has a very simple setup to tow. Place in neutral and turn off ignition leaving key in so steering wheel is free. We have a Blue Ox with SMI Air Force One braking system. They no longer make this hybrid Escape.
Eldon, Carol, and Bella(Lhasa-Poo)
Eldiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
Originally Posted by Eldiee View Post
We have been pulling our Ford Escape Hybrid 4X4 for the past year. It has a very simple setup to tow. Place in neutral and turn off ignition leaving key in so steering wheel is free. We have a Blue Ox with SMI Air Force One braking system. They no longer make this hybrid Escape.
What year do you pull?
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
You'll find that many of the new cars don't have a steering wheel lock. Makes it nice not to have to leave the key in the ACC position and disconnect the battery. We have a Fiat 500 (manual) that tows nicely. You might also take a look at the Hyundia Veloster, very sporty.

John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote