Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

New Subaru Forester

I've towed my '06 Honda CRV since new, I just turned over 100K on the odometer and have dragged it behind my motorhomes at least another 70K miles. I don't pull any fuses with my '06, run an Brake Buddy type box, and never have a dead battery after a long day on the road. The CRV is getting a bit "clunky" and it's time for a new toad. I like the '15 manual trans Subaru Forester and wonder if anyone who tows one would comment on whether or not they have any dead battery or other issues while towing. Thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Since no one is answering this I'll give you my 2cents. I think the Forester is a good choice to 4down tow. I'll be considering it, if I have to replace my 2007 Jeep Liberty. I don't like any of the small new jeeps and don't want to tow a vehicle over 4,000 lbs. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

I have one of the older ones and no problems towing. The only item that will drain your battery is if you use an electric brake unit like the EvenBrake. You may want to add the wiring to charge the battery from the coach just in case.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I didn't think a Forester could be towed four down because of the symetrical all wheel drive and the CVT transmission. I may be wrong, but I think this is the case.

We have a 14 Forester and an 11 Outback and was advised by the dealer not to tow. If we transport we must be four up...on a trailer.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I didn't think a Forester could be towed four down because of the symetrical all wheel drive and the CVT transmission. I may be wrong, but I think this is the case.

We have a 14 Forester and an 11 Outback and was advised by the dealer not to tow. If we transport we must be four up...on a trailer.
You are totally wrong, but right also.
Any vehicle with CVT cannot be towed 4 down but the Forester still has a manual transmission option, which can be towed. Unfortunately, Subaru decide to only offer the 2015 Outback with CVT so that cannot be towed. Just like the 2015 Honda CRV.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Thanks for your help folks!