Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

New to flat towing - quick question

We are going to tow a 2018 MKX fwd. Looking for those experienced in flat towing to opine on the need for a stone shield and if we need one, what you recommend, one on the RV or one that attaches to the tow bar. Thanks in advance for your advice.
andrew.r.noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I like the Protect-A-Tow type. Be aware, you can make your own with bungee cords, PVC pipe, and a couple of yards of Sunbrella fabric. For the cost of the Protect-A-Tow, ($219) you could build a couple of your own!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

I am FT. I don't do locks and have not had any issues. I do have a lock on the tow bar itself into the hitch. I do lock the car.
I have >6k (maybe closer to 10) miles towing. I don't think I have any dings while towing but hard to tell. I have a number of dings from regular driving including 2 chips in the windshield. So for me it is not worth the extra effort and weight.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Just about finished setting up my new tow as well. I have been thinking about some protection for my 2018 vehicle. A few hundred bucks seems like cheap insurance so I may just pull the trigger once I get it out on the road and try towing it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Protect-A-Tow will help eliminate the sand-blasting that your headlight-lens -covers get when towing behind a MH. It will not eliminate it, but it seems like the damage is limited.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.r.noe View Post
We are going to tow a 2018 MKX fwd. Looking for those experienced in flat towing to opine on the need for a stone shield and if we need one, what you recommend, one on the RV or one that attaches to the tow bar. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Please fill out your Signature with your information. It will help us Help you better.

Tags
tow, towing