Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #1

new to toading

i just upgraded to a seneca 35ss class c. buying a gmc acadia to tow any recomendations on baseplates, towBAR AND BRAKES
atcjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #2

I use Blue Ox....Aventa LX 10,000 lb and the mounts on the truck are 1/4 turn removable when not towing. Two minute hook-up and light check.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi atcjj,
Welcome to iRV2. You've made a good choice on getting the GMC to tow. Consider a Blue OX tow bar and base plate. They make several models. Get one that will tow the Acadia's weight with a generous amount of extra capacity. I use the USGEAR braking system. Over 66K miles with my 05 GMC ENVOY and it works as advertised. Simple one plug connect and disconnect. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about the US GEAR system.

Also consider a way to charge your toad battery while motoring down the road. I use the Toad-Charge. Go to TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer and read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcjj
i just upgraded to a seneca 35ss class c. buying a gmc acadia to tow any recomendations on baseplates, towBAR AND BRAKES
I own an Acadia and the curb weight is around 4700 lbs. Make sure your Seneca can tow this size veh. Good luck,
TerryDix
TerryDix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDix View Post
I own an Acadia and the curb weight is around 4700 lbs. Make sure your Seneca can tow this size veh. Good luck,
TerryDix
That would be my concern also.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcjj
If I am not mistaken, the GVWR on the Seneca is 22000lbs and the GCWR is probably 26000lbs. If I am correct, pulling the
Acadia is a problem. Do more research before spend any $$.
terrydix
TerryDix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys, I missed mentioning the weight consideration.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We tow an Acadia and it weighs about 4900 lbs in actual use (curb weight is 4700 lb). We have Blue Ox base plates and Aventa LX tow bar and use a Brakemaster brake system (driven from coach air brakes). Our receiver hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs.

Make sure you have at least a 5000 lb hitch (and that is stretching the limits with this car) and at least 5000 lb difference between the actual weight of the coach and the GCWR. At almost 5000 lbs, the Acadia is going to really stretch the limits if your coach is set up for a 5000 lb max.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
I use Blue Ox....Aventa LX 10,000 lb and the mounts on the truck are 1/4 turn removable when not towing. Two minute hook-up and light check.

Same here & love it!

32' Class C with Honda CRV
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New to toading

I though the difference between the GVW and the GCVW was for the coach breaking system. If the toad has it's own break system you tow what the hitch will allow. 5,000 or 7,500 is based on the number of bolts holdind the hitch to the frame of the coach. If you weigh the coach and it comes in at 20,500 lbs and GCVW is 26,000 lbs you can stop the differance. Asking.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mikron,
The coach braking system is rated for the carried weight of the coach up to the GVWR. In no way is the coach braking system rated for anything one tows. It is rated for what the coach carries. The GCWR minus the GVWR is what the coach can tow (all other things being in spec.). Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html and read the post. It explains this better than I can. It is also explained by a professional.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New to toading

thanks GaryKD, never had it explaned the clear. Never saw the GTWR table before. Do most people know the weight of there toad after they load it with stuff, I wonder.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the things I notice of conversations about towing is that the vehicle in question is always being considered because of it's ability in being towed or how difficult is is to get it ready to tow. I wish I had spent more of my time deciding on weather I even liked the darn thing or it was fun to drive. The reason that I own the one I have is because the owner of the coach I was buying would throw it in for X amount and I would not need to be concerned outfitting it.
Now that I have determined that I don't really like the thing my investment rises to include the cost or the replacement but the cost of getting that replacement ready to tow. It is important to get one that will accomadate the way you want to tow but make sure you like it first!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDix View Post
TerryDix
hi terrydix thanks for the info i read the gvwr is 22000 and gcwr is 26000. the weight restrictions info is confusing. because that is fully loaded gvwr. it is just me and my wife. it gave alot of weight restrictions for amount of people and water. ie: 6 people @154# each we only have 2 at about 160# each. and full water tanks which we use onle 1/2 to a quarter tank. should i fill it full of fuel and water we use and personals then weigh it. or is it just plain illegal because of the gvwr to gcwr restrictions. i know this is sort of long winded but we really need a bigger toad to visit grandkids
atcjj is offline   Reply With Quote