Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I haul my vehicle on a car trailer. I have heard stories about backing a toad (flat towing) that you cannot back up very far and only in a straight line. Might take that into consideration. could be a problem.

camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Our first RV was a 31' Class C, which did not have adequate towing capacity (IMHO) so we didn't tow. On long trips my wife would drive our car and follow.

After we got our Class A we did not get a toad immediately. When we took our trip to Alaska in 2009 we didn't have a toad and really regretted it. When we got back I started looking and ultimately bought a Jeep GC. I set it up myself including the Roadmaster Brakemaster since our coach has air brakes. I think the total cost for me to do it myself was ~$1800 for the tow bracket and brake & Misc. We've towed this for the last 4 years and will never go back to no toad.

I use Gasbuddy to find the cheapest diesel along our route. When we get there I decide which station (since there are always 2-3 competing) is the easiest to get into. I seldom have a problem and if I think I can't get in I just drive to the next area of low prices.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Started towing Honda Odyssey's and a Jeep GC in '97 and still doing it. Bought the 2nd MH kit last Friday to go on the new to us Magna we're getting Thursday.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Guess the majority is towing so I guess that answered my questions.

The toad we would use is a hyundai with low mileage so that most likely will be the one. My wife drives a new Nissan Rouge but it is AWD and the Hyundai is a manual tranny.

Now we will have to decide what system to go with since there are.so many out there.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did some checking and the base plate for the Hyunda will be approx 14" from the ground but the MH hitch from the center of the receiver to ground is about 25". Will have to see if that will be a problem. Am just guessing but think I will have to have a 10" drop hitch.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Barry
NSA ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar (ReadyBrake)
"Don't leave home without it". Toad Tow & Brake all-in-one. Total self proportional & trouble free braking. When you hitch or unhitch the tow bar your toad is ready to go. Ask anyone that has one, then check out the lower cost.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
I did some checking and the base plate for the Hyunda will be approx 14" from the ground but the MH hitch from the center of the receiver to ground is about 25". Will have to see if that will be a problem. Am just guessing but think I will have to have a 10" drop hitch.
Barry - read the "sticky" at the top of the "Toads and Motorhome Related Towing" - there's a very good dissertation on the differences in height between the motorhome and the toad. (and my custom installer who's been doing installs on everything from Ferrari's and Lambo's to my plain ol' trucks, uses the same logic) The basic number to remember is your motorhome hitch should be no more than 4 (four) inches higher than the toad base plate connections.

Although they don't specifically talk about it, I towed an 8K lbs truck behind my coach for years with a 10K lbs rated bar, and even though my difference was even a little less than four inches, that heavy a truck and the angle combined, caused the pivot points of the bar to wear sufficiently that I replaced the bar after five years. I can only imagine what would have been had I had a greater difference in the heights...
Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #23

Also...although you may not feel you need it, be aware that the NSA Ready Brake does not appear to have the ability to set a Baseline from which the proportional braking begins, unlike other more complex braking devices. Although I don't use that option often, when I do, it's handy and important to me. It also requires the cabling be installed in the toad, making it not portable between various toads if you are going to do that.
But there is the debate about whether or not more complexity means more trouble - mine have never given me trouble but that's just one tower's experience. And another feature some of the braking "boxes" (Patriot, Even Brake, etc.) offer is that in a panic stop they are designed to give you full on braking regardless - a feature that you hope you never have to use but if you do, helps keep you from hitting whatever's in front of you!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Certainly some things to think about prior to my selection.

Want to thank everyone for their feed back!!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the RoadMaster web site there's a section on the tow bars being level and the amount of extra force it applies to the tow bar and hitch. Can't find the direct like to it right now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Barry, I was in the same place as you, wondering what would be easiest and most convenient. I thought of renting, (not always available and more) trailering small vehicle I already have or motorcycle with flat trailer or enclosed, ( more weight, and what do you do with trailer when you stop in a state or national park for the night), dolly which could be your answer, or toad. I decided to go with a toad for the convenience and ease of hook up. But you have to make sure the toad is a towable one. Easy is a manual transmission toad. I'll be towing a mini which I hear peopl have no problems but if I was going to purchase a vehicle I'd get a jeep or something like a Honda cvr. A lot of information here and YouTube will help you out. Good luck.. and enjoy the roads.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Today I went to 3 different dealers selling tow bars and brake systems. Very frustrating to say the least. Keep in mind that we are not full timers and might use the toad 3 to 4 times a year, so don't want to brake the bank. :-. )

One thing for sure I will go with the blue ox base plate. At least I have decided that.

I looked at the following:

Blue ox
Roadmaster
Ready Brute Elite
and brake systems:
Brake ready
Patriot, and they say, " True Proportional Braking"
Brake Buddy which I do not know if this is proportional braking?

I see above that someone said this
Quote:
offer is that in a panic stop
so is that NOT proportional braking?

One dealer said that he would not install the Ready brake if I brought one in. mmmm

Any advise or comments are welcome. Don't want to spend 2500.00 to 4,000 and wish that I hadn't.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Barry
If a RV Supplier doesn't sell the NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar he is not familiar with it and will want to sell you his higher cost more complicated system. Many of us that work on our own motorhomes have installed the ReadyBrake cable ourselves. It involves drilling a pencil size hole through the metal behind the brake pedal on the vehicle you are going to tow. The base plate & lights are more complicated to install.

1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing