Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy New to Towing

Never have pulled a toad with MH so I have some questions. In the past, we have rented a car from Enterprise and had it delivered to the camp ground. After talking with people in our travels, some do as we do and some like to tow.

The system I am looking at with a break system will cost approx. 3500.00. My DW like to crunch numbers and she says we can rent a car each time for about a week, Approx 28 times for that amount of money.

A few times enterprise wouldn't deliver to CG because of the distance so we had to go by the rental place first and then drive both to CG.

I have heard about getting into a gas station can be a problem and expect a bind once in awhile. Of course I am a little concerned about the leight of MH with a toad since I am not experienced with towing. MH is 36' alone.

I would like to hear opinions from people who tow and people that don't.

Thanks!

BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Been towing a car behind our RV for the last 20 years and never had a problem in a camp ground or gas station. You'll never know it's back there.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We used to rent as you do today. We also had the same problem, Enterprise did not deliver there, and we had to stop by on the way and pick it up, as well as drop it off on the way back. The question you have to ask is how long you keep your vehicles, if it is a year or two, keep renting, every time you change you will need to set it up again.
We had a vehicle we could setup up as a towed, so we did not have the expense of buying a vehicle. You cannot beat the convenience of having it with you, and should have done it from the start. If you don't have a vehicle you can tow, you can always keep that in mind when you look for your next one.
I am longer than most and have not had any issues in campgrounds, nor have I had any issues at filling stations. We plan our trips and use Google Maps and pick a station we can get in and out of easily.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Kar Kaddy 3
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Mom needs to do some more checking - $125 a week is too low, I just checked my next location here in California and it would be $200 a week plus tax and insurance. And that was for a roller skate sized car
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I would never consider traveling in a MH without a toad! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.

What brake system would you recommend as I know there are several out there. Kind of leading toward Brake Buddy.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

What brake system would you recommend as I know there are several out there. Kind of leading toward Brake Buddy.

Barry, the ReadyBrake is simple, easy to install, effective, and by far the least expensive out there!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally I would never consider traveling in a MH without a toad! JMHO
Me either. Dozens of good reasons to tow. What is your convenience worth? How much time do you waste renting and returning a car? And besides, how do you rent one in the middle of a National Park, or the middle of nowhere? Sometimes we stop just for an hour or two, take the toad to see a museum or attraction nearby that has no RV parking, then hookup and drive away. You would not be able to do that with rentals.

I tow an SUV, and it also serves as as an adjunct to my storage space. Whatever doesn't fit in the MOHO goes in the toad. What happens if my MOHO breaks down and I need to go for parts or for help? Just jump in the toad.

I won't leave home without it.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Never have pulled a toad with MH so I have some questions. In the past, we have rented a car from Enterprise and had it delivered to the camp ground. After talking with people in our travels, some do as we do and some like to tow.

The system I am looking at with a break system will cost approx. 3500.00. My DW like to crunch numbers and she says we can rent a car each time for about a week, Approx 28 times for that amount of money.

A few times enterprise wouldn't deliver to CG because of the distance so we had to go by the rental place first and then drive both to CG.

I have heard about getting into a gas station can be a problem and expect a bind once in awhile. Of course I am a little concerned about the leight of MH with a toad since I am not experienced with towing. MH is 36' alone.

I would like to hear opinions from people who tow and people that don't.

Thanks!
Don't forget the lose in gas milage into the $equation.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Lots of good responses that mirror my experience - I used to rent from Enterprise too, and altho it's generally convenient, it isn't always and then you wish you had your own toad with you. In fact, when I happen to go somewhere without a toad, I am a little nervous thinking if the motorhome breaks down out in the middle of nowhere (nothing like that is ever convenient) because I then have no way to get to the nearest town.
My DP's mileage doesn't change even a tenth of a MPG towing - a gas motorhome might though - maybe someone with the same length gas coach can tell us what they see.
I use a BlueOx Patriot brake unit - it's portable like the brake buddy, but uses accelerometers to detect minute changes in acceleration in microseconds as the coach is braked, to apply a variable amount of braking in accordance with the amount of deceleration. So rather having to set one particular sensitivity setting, the unit determines the sensitivity (and resultant braking pressure) automatically - along with the users ability to have an overall setting.
I had been using the CW "Even Brake" unit for years (I had one of the very first ones they came out with), but when it died and I went to replace it, the new models required some hardwiring in the toad, which meant I couldn't put the braking unit in a variety of toads I have that I like to bring with me, dependent on the trip. (pulling a pickup toad means you can throw things you collect on your journey, in the bed, yet pulling an SUV means you can carry more people in the toad) Also, the Brake Buddy and the Even Brake use air pressure to push the pedal - that requires a compressor in the unit, whereas the Patriot uses an electronic motor and screw drive - more reliable in my estimation. Your mileage may vary...
Old 02-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #12

New to Towing

If I can get into a station with my 42 + Wrangler, it's a piece of cake with your 34!
Google Earth and GasBuddy!
Enjoy the freedom!

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424039760.552506.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  95.5 KB

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing that convinced us to bring a toad was the event of an emergency on the road. If something should happen to the MH, how would both of us and our dogs get to a hotel,etc. Having the toad would just make a miserable experience a little bit easier to deal with. We went the Enterprise route a couple times, but found we always seemed to back track to return the car. Didn't last long.
We have a 30' Class C and tow a CRV with Demco hitch and an electronic braking system that I can't remember the name of.....We both drive and have had very little problems finding a station to fit in.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BarryN514,
My first class A coach was in 1978. My decision has always been to tow a car. I fuel a PFJ travel centers. There are so many centers, fueling has never been an issue. The immediate decision is to tow 4 down or use a dolly. I have done both. Each way has its' irritations. It comes down to the vehicle selection you now have and the ability of the vehicles to tow 4 down. Do not be afraid of towing either way. I have a Blue OX base plate and tow bar that is weight rated in excess of the vehicle I am towing. The braking system is USGEAR ( http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm ). I have one umbilical cord from the coach to the towed vehicle. Lights, braking and towed vehicle battery charging are all connected via the single umbilical plug. For dolly towing I have a Kar Kaddy SS dolly ( http://demco-products.com/rv-towing-...s/kar-kaddy-ss )

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing