Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

New to towing...

Hello All,,

Looking for some advice as we determine our setup for towing.

We are 9 months into our 2016 Winnebago Vista 31be. The GCWR is listed at 23,000lbs and the GVWR is listed at 18,000 lbs, our hitch has a 5k limit with 500 tongue weight limit. We just had weighed on our most recent trip and it came in at 16,460lbs.

Our lease is up in a few months and we're trying to determine our next vehicle and would like to get something which could be flat towed from time
to time (on longer trips to national parks, etc). We are considering either a Cherokee Trail Hawk or a Grand Cherokee because they both can be flat towed with the transfer in N.

The GC lists a curb weight of about 4875lbs and the TH about 4100. We'd prefer the GC because it's bigger and would be used as our day to day vehicle.

I guess my question is whether the GC is too heavy to be towed by the Vista. It seems as though I have plenty of capacity remaining on the GCWR but only 100lbs to spare on the hitch.

Anybody towing a GC on a similar Class A? And do you feel it would be pushing it by towing a GC. We wouldn't tow every time but would like the ability to get out and about as we start to venture out closer the national parks and such. Any advice is welcome. Towing is still a new concept for me so I apologize if I left out any crucial info.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
There is virtually no weight on the hitch when you flat tow.
Just some of the weight of the tow bar. Look to Blue Ox Aventa
for the tow bar. GC is a nice ride, no reason not to get it.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
There is virtually no weight on the hitch when you flat tow.
Just some of the weight of the tow bar. Look to Blue Ox Aventa
for the tow bar. GC is a nice ride, no reason not to get it.
I think the OP was referring to the 5000 tow limit not the hitch weight.

Personally, I think you would be pushing the limits. I would look for a lighter vehicle to tow....something under or around 4000 lbs. There are some really nice small to mid size SUVs that would work very well for you. Check out my signature for mine.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler which weighs around 3500 and is easy to hook up with my blue ox tow bar and have the SMI braking system in my jeep.
Tnroadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
WDW

Chetokee Latitude is roomy and tows really well. You need to make sure it has the Select II transmission and the towing wiring harness modification installed (part of your negotiated deal). Ideal curb weight for your / our needs.

As for the reference to the wobble thread that will come up, we've got 5,000 miles towing with out any concern.

We used Hitch Source to supply our Roadmaster Falcon AT tow bar. We really like the RVI2 supplemental brake system. Easy in / easy out.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I think the OP was referring to the 5000 tow limit not the hitch weight.

Personally, I think you would be pushing the limits. I would look for a lighter vehicle to tow....something under or around 4000 lbs. There are some really nice small to mid size SUVs that would work very well for you. Check out my signature for mine.

Ron
I was actually was referring to hitch weight because for the life of me I can't find a towing capacity on the F53 on the Winnebago site. They actually list that towing depends on weight of cargo, etc. Should the towing capacity be listed anywhere?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
I was actually was referring to hitch weight because for the life of me I can't find a towing capacity on the F53 on the Winnebago site. They actually list that towing depends on weight of cargo, etc. Should the towing capacity be listed anywhere?

Wait.... you said you had 5K tow limit and 500 hitch weight limit. Then yu said you only had 100 lbs to spare on the hitch. What is the other 400 lols you're referring to? And now you say you can't find a towing capacity on the F53 chassis.

Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes.. I'll just bow out here.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #8

The hitch is rated at 5,000 lbs with 500lbs max tongue weight. I figured if the GC weighs 4900 it only leaves about 100lbs for what the hitch is rated at.

Since the GCWR is listed at 23k and I weighed the RV which came in a around 16k it still leaves me 6k and some change. Do I need to worry about the GC coming in that close to the hitch rating?

I'll have to look at the Ford manual but everywhere I've looked says tow capacity depends on cargo, weight, etc.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you can tow the GJC but I would look slightly smaller and go with the JC Trailhawk or one with the Active Drive II setup to flat tow. As far as hitches and base plates and aux brakes systems the sky is the limit. Look at all of them and read as much as possible about them to help yourself understand the PROS and CONS of each. For the brake light setup on the Jeeps get yourself the Hopkins Towing Solutions wiring harness. They are plug and play so no splicing necessary. Make sure no matter which Jeep you go with to get a trickle charge line setup also, you will thank me later.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

If you like the GC, then that is the one to get. It is under the hitch rating so you are legal and safe to go. A 5000# hitch is not going to disintegrate if the toad weight gets to 5001#'s There is a substantial safety factor built into the rating and into the coach frame. With a hitch rated @ 5000#, it has probably been tested at nearly twice that before failure. I would get the GC for the sheer comfort of it compared to the Trail Hawk. Why buy something lighter when the hitch is rated to tow the one you prefer?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you like the GC, then that is the one to get. It is under the hitch rating so you are legal and safe to go. A 5000# hitch is not going to disintegrate if the toad weight gets to 5001#'s There is a substantial safety factor built into the rating and into the coach frame. With a hitch rated @ 5000#, it has probably been tested at nearly twice that before failure. I would get the GC for the sheer comfort of it compared to the Trail Hawk. Why buy something lighter when the hitch is rated to tow the one you prefer?
I agree that technically you are correct, the GC is below the weight rating of the RV, but that is an empty weight that is quoted, and few people tow a completely empty toad. And while going slightly over the weight limit is probably not a game changer, being near the weight limit will be quite noticeable while traveling, every hill and every time you wish you could pass somebody but can't, you will be very aware of the weight of your toad.

If you think you won't be bothered by struggling up hills and will be content to stay in the slow lane then by all means I would get the GC, but we tow a Captiva that comes in at around 3700lbs and have the same 5000lb towing capacity that you have and I do notice the weight of our toad when going up hills and I don't try to pass slower vehicles because most of the time we don't have enough room to get around them before meeting oncoming traffic.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

The OP will feel the GC behind the motorhome, however, I wonder if there is a noticeable difference between pulling a 5,000# toad vs a 4100# one. With the GC, he is still 1500# below the GCWR. Aren't there V10 powered Gas coaches with higher GCWR? The performance would still be better than most. I would hesitate to buy a smaller lighter vehicle to tow a little easier, but not have the comfort I wanted every time I had to drive it.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #13

I tow a 5000lb 4 door Jeep Wrangler behind my 2004 Tiffin Allegro with 6.8L v-10 without any problem. I have a Curt trailer hitch rated for 5000lbs or 10,000lbs if using a weight distributing tow bar. I use a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system rated for 8000lbs. The tow bar is not a weight distributing tow bar, but there is no tounge weight when flat towing. Since the hitch is rated to "pull" 10,000lbs, I do not think I am overloading it.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Hello All,,

Looking for some advice as we determine our setup for towing.

We are 9 months into our 2016 Winnebago Vista 31be. The GCWR is listed at 23,000lbs and the GVWR is listed at 18,000 lbs, our hitch has a 5k limit with 500 tongue weight limit. We just had weighed on our most recent trip and it came in at 16,460lbs.

Our lease is up in a few months and we're trying to determine our next vehicle and would like to get something which could be flat towed from time
to time (on longer trips to national parks, etc). We are considering either a Cherokee Trail Hawk or a Grand Cherokee because they both can be flat towed with the transfer in N.

The GC lists a curb weight of about 4875lbs and the TH about 4100. We'd prefer the GC because it's bigger and would be used as our day to day vehicle.

I guess my question is whether the GC is too heavy to be towed by the Vista. It seems as though I have plenty of capacity remaining on the GCWR but only 100lbs to spare on the hitch.

Anybody towing a GC on a similar Class A? And do you feel it would be pushing it by towing a GC. We wouldn't tow every time but would like the ability to get out and about as we start to venture out closer the national parks and such. Any advice is welcome. Towing is still a new concept for me so I apologize if I left out any crucial info.

Thanks!

We tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler behind a Thor ACE 29.2, which I would say is comparable to your Winnebago Vista 31. Blue Ox Alpha towbar, Blue Ox baseplate and Blue Ox Patriot aux brake. 20,000 miles 0 problems - in fact we rarely know it's back there. Listed curb weight is approximately 3880. Don't know if this will help with your decision but it might give you a comparison. Best of luck

Tags
tow, towing