Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New to Towing and Need Opinions

This past Thanksgiving Holiday we purchased a new toad. Actually this is the first car we've been able to tow since going fulltime six years ago, we've always driven behind the coach in our previous car. We bought a '12 Jeep Grand cherokee 4x4 and since this is our first toad I've been looking for a base plate, tow bar and brake. The Jeep has a class IV hitch and tow package.

Up until now I've been carrying my yamaha fz6 motorcycle on a carrier which fits into the receive of the coach and since we'll now have a toad I'm planning to carry the bike on the class IV hitch of the Jeep. The tongue weight of the hitch is rated for about 1100 lbs. The bike and carrier weigh in at about 575 lbs., well below the tongue weight. The total payload capacity of the Jeep is 1580 lbs. so the load of the bike should be well within the capacity of the rear axel and well under the GVWR of 6500 lbs. of the Jeep. The Jeep came with a load leveling option where an onboard compressor automatically adds air to the air shocks to keep the Jeep level.

I am considering adding a Blue Ox Base plate with a Blue Ox Alladin tow bar rated at 7500 lbs. but considering up sizing to the Blue Ox 10,000 lbs. rated tow bar for piece of mind. Finally, I like the Air Force One supplemental braking system for the Jeep.

I'm wondering what you experienced towers think of this tow package and have you had any problems with any components.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have a picture of your MH towing the MC? Do you tow it where it sits on the carrier like a bicycle (sideways)?

I'm thinking if you have 1100lb tongue weight and if you already carry the cycle side ways I'd be looking at a custom made or modified carrier that would mount the bike on the hitch and tow the Jeep rather than put the weight on my Jeep. The tow bar for all practical purposes adds no tongue weight.

While the Jeep does have the payload of 1580 I would not be happy with all the weight carried on the hitch.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RJay,
Consider upgrading the Blue Ox to the 10K model. I have no comment on the braking system because I have USGEAR. I had to replace the USGEAR control board in the toad, but other than that it has worked perfectly for 6+ years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I used a Blue Ox 10K Adventa tow bar, and a Brake Buddy Vantage. Never had a problem.

I had the Brake Buddy set to only activate during hard or panic stops and it rarely activated.

The coach's brakes and Jake brake were quite sufficient .

I would not recommend the Aladdin for any but the smaller toads because of the aluminum construction.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I used a Blue Ox 10K Adventa tow bar, and a Brake Buddy Vantage. Never had a problem.

I would not recommend the Aladdin for any but the smaller toads because of the aluminum construction.
Funny you mention that I have a brand new unused Aladdin (5K) I bought to tow my Fiat Spider which is still in pieces it weights in at about 2200lbs, when my wife got her MKX it weighs in at 4700lbs which made me feel uncomfortable thinking of using the aluminum bar so I bought a Adventa II (with the round knuckle) and 10K capacity I made one 2500+ mile trip a while back to the east coast and was very satisfied with it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Just wondering , did you have to get a v-8 engine to get the transfer case with the neutral position?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
Just wondering , did you have to get a v-8 engine to get the transfer case with the neutral position?
No, you just need the automatic tranny and 4WD
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Knowing NOTHING about Newmars, may we assume the MH reciever is rated at 10,000 lbs? Rather than the 5,000 lbs. seen in so many MH's

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing