Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

you can,t tow a chevy automatic, and i don,t think they make a manual shift. i bought a ford focus and have towed it about 2k miles. but.... make sure you follow the OWNERS MANUAL for unhooking the battery

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

Wrote an article today on our tow setup on what we have today and what we have had on our 3 previous coaches.

Really love our setup today (Blue OX/Air Force One(

Towing – what we use | MHRig

klandersnitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
you can,t tow a chevy automatic, and i don,t think they make a manual shift. i bought a ford focus and have towed it about 2k miles. but.... make sure you follow the OWNERS MANUAL for unhooking the battery
I've towed our Chevy automatic across the country and back with no problem. Owners manual says trans in neutral, key to acc and pull one fuse. I put a fused switch in place of the fuse so prep to tow takes about 5 seconds.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I've towed our Chevy automatic across the country and back with no problem. Owners manual says trans in neutral, key to acc and pull one fuse. I put a fused switch in place of the fuse so prep to tow takes about 5 seconds.
yes but was it a chevy cruise. like the o.p. stated, i wanted to buy one , and then i saw a letter from gm saying it no longer was towable, and they would buy it back or give you 1500. to buy a dolly.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
With my first motorhome I bought a used sterling from roadmaster and then later had to have it rebuilt since it was worn out. I now use a blue ox that came with my current motorhome. They both work the same so no real preference but my advise is to make sure whatever you buy is only slightly used and the base plates are available for that particular brand. You can look at the different plates offered and how there installed. Each manufacture has a different idea when it comes to the plates.
IASM
It's not necessary to use a base plate and a tow bar of the same brand.
As others have reported all tow bar manufacturers make and sell adapters which allow the use of any brand of tow bar with base plates made by any other manufacturer.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #20

We use a Demco tow bar with a Demco baseplate to tow our Honda Element. The tow bar was included in our purchase of the Motor Home, and since it is a snap to use, we saw no reason to explore other options. From what I hear, Blue Ox, and Roadmaster also make quality equipment.

On another note, Demco will inspect and refurbish your used tow bar for a very nominal fee, so if we begin to have any concerns with our current Demco tow bar, we will just send it back and have it looked over and repaired as necessary.

Also, make sure whatever system you decide on, make sure you also purchase some sort of supplemental braking system for the toad!

Good luck with your decision!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: how does your parking brake work on that towed. GOOD, not so good?

If you live in the great salted north and the car is more than a few years old odds are "not so good" If that is the case put on a new cable (It is a useful tool) and pick most any tow bar made. Mine is a Blue Ox.. I very much like that the telescoping bars "Stow" on the motor home so when I drive the towed only a small coupler is visible.

Roadmaster also makes some models like that, As do most everyone else.. And having looked at several brands I can not see any significant things to recommend one over the other save this.

I had one tow bar break.. NOT a manufacturing defect.. The story is long but it was through no fault of the tow bar. OF this I am 100% sure and I have the training to make that statement. Still Blue Ox fed-exed me a new one (no charge) paid to have the old one sent back for their experts to analyze (I'd already told them it was NOT THEIR FAULT) and ask for photos of damage to my towed (By the way the cables held) with an offer to pay for repairs if they decided it was their fault (They decided it was not but see "I already told them it was not" above.. Trust me it was not.. (Pin came out of the receiver and dropped it in the dirt).

Now that... Is customer service.. I'm told Roadmaster is also good in this area.. Others I have not heard comment.

Now: If you live in the sandy south (They use sand on icy roads, not salt) Then the Ready Brute with Ready Brake is for consideration.

This system includes both your Aux Brakes and tow bar in one assembly.. Very nice and very good.. Blue-Ox also now offers a competiting bar... I will likely upgrade to the Blue-Ox bar when I get my motor home fixed.

Tags
towing, tow, motorhome