Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

I didn't spot which braking system you're using but please ensure that you have a break away switch just in case the TOAD decides to go off on its own. Rare but you sure don't want that Lincoln to go off into oncoming traffic.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought to file away as a rare situation but you should be aware... If your coach develops an unexplained behavior, like pulling to one side or feeling like the brakes are dragging, stop and inspect your toad. There could be several causes that many of us have experienced over time.
  1. Forgot to release the emergency brake
  2. Forgot to unlock the steering column
  3. Slow speed sharp turn (especially in or out of a driveway) and the front wheels of the toad do not return to heading straight.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #17

Make a 1-2-3-4 check list like hitch connect, safety cables connect, elec cable connect, key on. I laminated it made sure I had it in my hand as I did the walk around before starting to drive. I fly, and as a pilot there is a checklist for every thing. Less surprises that way.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #18

Thanks to all that replied I really appreciate it. It gives me good suggestions and warnings . It makes it a lot more comforting than staring out completely blind.
Thanks everybody happy travels to all
Ken
Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #19

On some cars being towed, a sharp turn on sand or gravel can allow the front wheels to swing all the way to one side, and then not return. This does not happen on pavement.

I tie a white rag to the top of the steering wheel so that I can see it in the rear view monitor. I watch to see if the toad steering wheel recenters on the first major turn out of the campground. I've also read of using a battery powered led light on the steering wheel for this purpose.

Fred
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
On some cars being towed, a sharp turn on sand or gravel can allow the front wheels to swing all the way to one side, and then not return. This does not happen on pavement. I tie a white rag to the top of the steering wheel so that I can see it in the rear view monitor. I watch to see if the toad steering wheel recenters on the first major turn out of the campground. I've also read of using a battery powered led light on the steering wheel for this purpose. Fred
Great suggestion thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #21

Very good suggestion with the LED/white rag