Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

New to towing toad

I Am new to towing behind a motorhome. We are getting all geared up to start towing our vechicle .Would like to hear from the experienced of the do's and don't s what to look for and what to avoid, and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks to all you reply I really appreciate it.
Ken Tuscany 40 EX with 2013 Lincoln MKX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
not to worry, hook it up, make sure the lites work, and away you go, and be danged, it just follows along.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most of the time, we really don't even notice that the towed is there. Just remember that ya can't back up!

Enjoy!!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
not to worry, hook it up, make sure the lites work, and away you go, and be danged, it just follows along.
Thanks for the reply would you have to swing wider on turns than you normally would.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

We did our first trip with our motor home that was not local. We bought a CRV so we could tow it and set it all up the week before we left. Took it for a test spin. All went well. Good advice on here of things to watch for. When you get all ready to drive off have your co pilot be by the car to be sure the wheels are turning. Caught us one time in confusion as to who did what when we went to leave. She immediately flagged me to stop. Front wheels not turning. She had put it back in park after I had it set to tow. Couldn't even tell it was behind me on the trip except a little less power taking off from a stop. Had a couple of issues with my new Patriot brake system. Otherwise all went well even through heavy traffic in the cities. I am ready to go again.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I Am new to towing behind a motorhome. We are getting all geared up to start towing our vechicle .Would like to hear from the experienced of the do's and don't s what to look for and what to avoid, and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks to all you reply I really appreciate it.
Ken Tuscany 40 EX with 2013 Lincoln MKX
As pops2 said, it's pretty easy, you can't back up very far!! and get real good at watching the toad in your rearview mirrors on turns and in campgrounds. We don't have them, but tire sensors for the toad seem like a good idea. Always pay attention in tight spaces!! We've been flat towing for years, but I took out a shrub with the toad in a campground in Tucson last month just because I wasn't looking. We told the folks at the campground about it, they laughed and suggested that we would be better suited to the "short bus"
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Most of the time, we really don't even notice that the towed is there. Just remember that ya can't back up! Enjoy!!
It it's the patriot brake system how much adjustment do you put on the brake of the towed . Do you feel the toad pulling back on the motorhome that much seems to be a lot of difference in weight if I explained that right
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

I guess I am concerned about in town driving and how much swing you have to allow more than normal . Does it make that much of a difference when cornering . What about the adjustment that you have to put on the toads brake or maybe it should be called drag

Ken
Old 04-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9tf View Post
We did our first trip with our motor home that was not local. We bought a CRV so we could tow it and set it all up the week before we left. Took it for a test spin. All went well. Good advice on here of things to watch for. When you get all ready to drive off have your co pilot be by the car to be sure the wheels are turning. Caught us one time in confusion as to who did what when we went to leave. She immediately flagged me to stop. Front wheels not turning. She had put it back in park after I had it set to tow. Couldn't even tell it was behind me on the trip except a little less power taking off from a stop. Had a couple of issues with my new Patriot brake system. Otherwise all went well even through heavy traffic in the cities. I am ready to go again.
How do you find the cornering do you find that you need to swing out more to allow for the toad or turn normally and it just follows behind you. What about the adjustment on the brake on the toad .
Ken
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have towed 40,000 miles in the last 5 years

Just plan expecially when you are fueling - look to see how you will get out - unhooking is a pain

Under no circumstances back up you will mess up lots of things.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I guess I am concerned about in town driving and how much swing you have to allow more than normal . Does it make that much of a difference when cornering . What about the adjustment that you have to put on the toads brake or maybe it should be called drag

Ken
Ken,

I have noticed I don't have to swing very much wider while pulling my toad. Since it is narrower than the RV, I've noticed if my RV rear wheels clear the object (curb, fuel pump, etc), the toad will clear.

That being said though, I still allow myself an extra 10-15 feet when pulling through fuel pumps and around corners. As others have said, it is a pain if you can't make the turn and have to back up. It's then time to unhook the toad!

Terry
tkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #12

The car will follow you. I found that I don't really have to drive differently except I do take a longer turn out of the gas station so I won't clip a pump. After about 100 miles into my trip my Patriot brake system came on with all of the lights on my dash monitor. I didn't know what that meant and was right at an exit. I pulled off to check it. It had showed the breakaway switch activated and the car was braking. I could not tell it from the motor home that it was doing that. It didn't drag it down at all. I unplugged the switch and did a reset for the rest of the trip. I haven't done any troubleshooting on it yet. I wasn't going to take a chance on it doing that right in the middle of a big city. My car brakes were hot and smelled. It is a good thing I got stopped when I did. Later in the trip going through a bunch of hills I got another alarm. It showed the brake system had been on too long and timed out. That one is OK because it is not braking anymore. Then about 5 miles from home I got another alarm and stopped. My car battery was dead. On our stop on the way home we did not unhook the car and drive it around. I only ran it long enough to circulate transmission oil and did not charge battery enough. Next long trip I will do something different on that. I would like to hook up a charge cable from MH to car for those long ones. Ten hours just too long to go without a good charge in there someplace. On the trip down there we stopped overnight and we drove around that evening to eat and breakfast the next morning. That is not good for a car battery to run it down like that. Now I have printed off a list of the errors on my brake system to have handy while driving. I also set the sensitivity down to a 2 after the time out alarm. Then it will still work if you have to brake hard. We were in Destin and Pensacola area for the trip. I am glad we are not down there right now. They got some really serious rain the last couple of days.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

Thanks to all for the replies it is always nice to have some insight from experienced RVers would you also suggest hard wiring the adjustment box for the brakes in the cab
Ken
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #14

Depending on what you have to do to your toad to prepare to tow, you may want to have a checklist, just so you don't forget an important step like taking it out of gear or releasing the parking brake.

Also, be conscious of distractions when hooking up - like a neighbor stopping by to chat. It can easily cause you to miss a step and end up dragging the toad.