Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

New toad, '15 JKU Rubi, Yahoo, now to set it all up!

Hey gang,
Well, as many of us discussed in the recent thread about Jeep prices, we too are amazed at the value they are actually holding, especially the JK models of '12 and up. But, we figured we're only going to live ONCE so, what the he.., we'll sell our older '03 Rubi and hunt for a newer one. Well, long story short, we ended up with what you see below, a 2015 JKU Rubicon with 27K on the clock. It's immaculate. Not a ding, scratch, scuff, stain, NOTHING!

Heck, it still SMELLS BRAND NEW!!!!! Now it's time for the prep for towing and using. It will get an aftermarket front bumper with recovery tabs on it that will be alternately used for towing. So, ZERO base plate will be needed. I'll throw on a short lift, maybe 2" at the most so I can go at least one size larger tires and get rid of those incredibly STUPID MUD TERRAIN tires.

We've owned 9 Jeeps, (3) CJs, (2) YJs, (3) TJs --- two of which were Rubis, and now, a JKU (Unlimited for those who are not in the "know" about Jeeps). The unlimited is the four door model. We really don't need four doors but, I figure I'll try it and see if we like or dislike it and, see how well it goes on the trails. We've done Moab and all the torcherous trails there, Colorados Black bear Pass and all the related trails in that vicinity, many of Californias trials including the infamous "Rubicon Trail" TWICE!!!!!!!!!

So, in prepping for all that type of off roading, all our previous Jeeps I built to handle extreme conditions. Well, that was then, this is now. Been there, DONE THAT!! Now it's time to just cruise on the old forest roads, moderate trails and back woods scenery roads. This new JKU has great street manors as is. I want the same manors AFTER any moderate lift when I'm done.

So, off to the races, so to speak. And man, do the wife and I love that color

Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Ruby

Looks awesome . Wating for pic's when you lift her and put the new boots on.
Makes them look even better , and no , i'm not one of those guy's that needs a step ladder to get in my truck because i have tires bigger then a John Deer ! Ha
You get her looking like the little red Ruby you had and you will have a great , real good looking rig.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Looks awesome . Wating for pic's when you lift her and put the new boots on.
Makes them look even better , and no , i'm not one of those guy's that needs a step ladder to get in my truck because i have tires bigger then a John Deer ! Ha
You get her looking like the little red Ruby you had and you will have a great , real good looking rig.
Hey Rider,
Yeah, that little Red Rubi we had did look good and was a great performer. Just too rough of a ride and, no power to keep. So, this one should do the trick. It's amazing how inundated the aftermarket world has become for Jeeps. My head was spinning just looking for front bumpers that were not obnoxious. Then there's the great world of tires and wheels, yeowwwwww!!!
Scott
Old 08-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Very nice Scott. Let me know which bumper you get. I might copy you

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

When I built up our 2010 JKU Rubi, I put the Rockhard bumpers on. They also had the tabs for my Blue Ox tow bar. A 3" coil lift got me to 35" tires, but I went to 513 gears too. It towed great and the gears brought back what little power those mini-van V-6's had. I did most of the trails at Moab, but they're pretty mild compared to the [Mod Edit] land south of town. The only drawback for the JKU on the trails was the 117" WB. Unless you go to 60 axles and 40" tires with more lift, it is high-centered too much. I replaced it with a well built LJ. However, it should be just fine for what you intend to do. Good luck
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Those old 3.8L V6 sure was a POS, I had a 08 JKU X and it sucked. My 16 JKU RHR is so much better, despite the RHR being a auto and the 08 being a manual. They still need 100HP more, I keep looking at turbo kits for my JKU then I think I should wait for the next gen with a diesel.

I am still in the research mode for lift kits, I figure I will wait until my tires are shot and get new suspension and larger tires at that time. Any opinions on which kits to get? I have read good things about the old man emu kits???
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #7

I went with the Old Man emu kit. It had a good ride, but as you go higher with the short arms the ride tends to get a little harsher. Coilovers and long arms are the best, but that gets into some serious coin.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #8

Hope this isn't a hijack of your thread but we are in the market for a new Unlimited and have been looking at base plates for towing. OP mentioned new bumpers that will work with a Blue Ox tow bar. Can someone offer suggestions or links to a few options? Thanks.

I also had an '08 with the infamous mini van engine. I didn't keep it long but I was under the impression that I could fit 35's on it without a lift at all. Has that changed with the newer JKs? It was a 2dr not the Unlimited.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

One thing about yours, it comes from the factory not needing much, especially for what you're wanting to do now. Bumper, winch, maybe tires and wheels if you just want something different.

I'm partial to the ARB bumper. Bought it and the Warn back around 96 and have had no problems since. At the time, it was one of the stronger yet lighter bumpers out.

As far as lift, i never lifted the CJs that i once owned (still wish i had ). The Cherokee XJ though, has gone through a few different changes. Ended up with about 4 inches using parts from different kits. Some trial and error but i finally got the ride good, both on and off road. It tows great behind the motorhome.

Btw, Blackbear was one of our most memorable trails. Now that i look back though, some 20 years later, my Wife and i were alone when we did it. Guess i was young and foolish because i wouldn't think of doing it solo now.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Great looking new Rubi Scott. I bought my '12 with 35,000 on it from a lease return dealer and it has worked out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
OP mentioned new bumpers that will work with a Blue Ox tow bar. Can someone offer suggestions or links to a few options? Thanks.
Two bumpers that come to mind are the LoD Offroad bumpers and RockHard bumpers. Both offer tow connectors that are bolted directly to the frame through the bumper. The RockHard says they are compatible with Blue-OX, Reese, and Road Master tow bars. Very few aftermarket bumpers are beefy enough to tow from the D ring attachments. Most are simply welded to 3/16" steel with no direct connection to the frame. I have seen at least one where the D ring pulled out of the bumper from the constant flexing of the weld.
https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep.html
Rock Hard 4x4 - Jeep Bumpers
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #11

Congratulations Scott!! That new 3.6 Pentatstar is proving to be a pretty stout engine. I went with a 3.5 inch lift from Metalcloak and probably should have only gone with a 2.5 for the type of off roading we will do in the future. Although, the 3.5 lift did really well on the Rubicon. Like you, I am done with the really tough trails. Enjoy, maybe we will see you in Moab or Borrego one of these days!!

Harley Outlaw - too bad you are not located in No. CA. I could have made you a good deal on a base plate for a Wrangler.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Very nice Scott. Let me know which bumper you get. I might copy you

Jerry
Hey Jerry,
Right now, what "I" want and what the "CEO" want's is a bit different. I want a form of a stubby one but, she would like almost a fender to fender one. To me, that's way to gawdy. We'll end up with somewhere in between. Don't know which brand/model just yet. One thing i POSITIVELY HATE in all these new aftermarket bumpers is, those dumb-a$$ "stingers" or, big hoops that protrude out the front of the Jeeps. That look so retarded to me. I don't care WHAT they (the manufacturers) think they're needed for, I hate them and, I will do everything in my power to either purchase a bumper without one or, will get one with the lowest, smallest profile possible or, in the least desired situation, WILL CUT IT OFF and install some blank plates where they were.

As stated before, we've owned 8 other Jeeps, all built for extreme off roading. And NOT ONE OF THEM ever had that POS sticking out the front of the Jeeps.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Those old 3.8L V6 sure was a POS, I had a 08 JKU X and it sucked. My 16 JKU RHR is so much better, despite the RHR being a auto and the 08 being a manual. They still need 100HP more, I keep looking at turbo kits for my JKU then I think I should wait for the next gen with a diesel.

I am still in the research mode for lift kits, I figure I will wait until my tires are shot and get new suspension and larger tires at that time. Any opinions on which kits to get? I have read good things about the old man emu kits???
NC25T,
First, when you or any other Jeep JK enthusiasts get a few minutes spare, look up "Motech" or, Moteck (forgot how they spell it) on line.

It's a company in Vegas (I think) that takes your JK and, makes a turn-key addition with either the 5.3L GM or, the 6.0L GM engine and SIX SPEED TRANS. I've watched a few videos and, man, those guys are good. In the end, all your gauges, body functions, speed-o, cruise control, EVERYTHING, operates just like it did with the original JK engine in it. Only you've now got almost TWICE THE POWER and, the same OR BETTER gas mileage. Your suspension, drive shafts etc. are all used and are original.

But, beware, the 6.0L will run you right at $18,000.00

Now, as far as lifts/brands/types are concerned, there's a zillion of them out there. I plan on a basic "budget" lift. I just want 33's and want the same road manors after the lift and tires as it was before them.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Hope this isn't a hijack of your thread but we are in the market for a new Unlimited and have been looking at base plates for towing. OP mentioned new bumpers that will work with a Blue Ox tow bar. Can someone offer suggestions or links to a few options? Thanks.

I also had an '08 with the infamous mini van engine. I didn't keep it long but I was under the impression that I could fit 35's on it without a lift at all. Has that changed with the newer JKs? It was a 2dr not the Unlimited.
HarleyOutlaw,
There are a few different types of adapters out there. Below are a couple of links to show which ones will adapt to which front bumpers. The first link is for the Blue Ox to aftermarket bumpers with the 3/4" thick steel "recovery" tabs welded on the front, one on each side. Those adapters are a tad expensive but, it's still SERIOUSLY better than adding base plates to a Jeep.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX883...ow+bar+adapter

Blue Ox Tow Bar Adapter Brackets for Hammerhead and Fab Fours Bumpers Blue Ox Accessories and Parts BX88307

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Scott
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post

Harley Outlaw - too bad you are not located in No. CA. I could have made you a good deal on a base plate for a Wrangler.
Appreciate that, although I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. We don't own a jeep yet, we are shopping and it will happen just not sure when.

Tags
toad