Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Toad

Looking at gettign a new toad. The better half wants the CRV and I am leaning more towards the Malibu. ($3K less also for the Malibu) Both are easy setups. Does anyone know of any new cars out for 2010 that might be towable? I know there are alot of you that have both of these cars, just wondering of any isssues that you migth have had towing them.

Thanks

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have towed a 2006 CRV about 20,000 miles in the last 3 years. THe CRV now has about 45, 000 total miles on it. We haven't had a single problem with the CRV or with towing it.

I understand GM has some new models that are flat towable for 2010. Check out the GMC Terrain and it's GM counterparts.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Be sure to verify in the owners manual that a vehicle is towable.

Never take the dealer's word.

GM owners manuals have excellent towing info.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #4

We have towed a CRV for the last five years . No problems what so ever. Its a 2003 with 70,000 miles and is the DW,s daily driver as well.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
During the Cash for clunkers I was looking at the Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Honda CRV and Saturn Vue. Passed on the Ford because it doesn't have disc brakes on the rear. Only drove the Vue and CRV, the 6cyl Vue is a comfortable car to drive with plenty of power and no road noise. We took the CRV up on the HWY and took the first offramp and returned to the dealer, too much engine noise on take off and there was a lot of road noise. They may be a great vehicle for someone who doesn't mind the noise, but not for me. Did not like the cheapy arm rests either. Did not buy yet, but leaning towards the Vue, even if it is due to be an Orphan, heck my coach was the first Orphan and I love it.
Currently towing my second Pontiac Grand Am 6cyl auto, but looking for a SUV for desert exploring.
What ever you decide on, before you sign for it, look in the Owners manual to make sure it is OK for 4 down towing without any mods. DON'T believe the salesman unless him and the Sales Manager put it in writting on the contract and if determined it can't be you get a 100% refund including tax, lic and any fees.
Why?? Here in the SLC Valley a dealer said the 08 Ford Escape auto was 4 down towable with no mods, guy bought it, took it to have it set up for towing and found out that the one he had was not towable 4 down. Took it back to dealer, lost his A on it. They even tried to sell me the same vehicle.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been asking to see the owners manual several times, and they think i am nuts since i do not belive them. Heck I was in a Nissan delaer recently, and the salesman said "ALL" cars are towable 4 down. He has a lot to learn....
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #7

Ditto what Joe states about the CRV having a lot of road noise. That is the one big negative about the CRV. We new it when buying and decided to live with it. Other than that downside, it makes a good toad.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree always check the owners manual for details on dingy towing. I went to a Chevy dealer and asked about towing a 2010 Equinox, the salesman said not towable. He was wrong. With the GM vehicles, you can download the manuals from the GM Owners site. I downloaded the manuals for the 2010 Equinox and GMC Terrain. Both give details on towing behind an RV. Bottom line, I ordered a GMC Terrain and found that Demco has a base plate listed with detailed installation instructions on-line.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can recommend the Chevy hhr with four speed automatin. it tows great, has enough power to get up to speed limit and is roomy and rides well. they can be towed four down. my first trip was a thousand mile round trip to arkansas and everything went we..
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I own a Honda CR-V (2006) and met several others that tow the Honda, no problems.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #11

We just purchased a 2010 GMC Terrain (same as a Chev. Equinox). So far very impressed with vehicle. Very quiet inside. Had a 2007 Honda CRV. Terribly noisy in comparrison. According to the manual I need to pull 1 fuse and let engine idle for 3 to 5 minuets at every fuel stop. Also should not be towed above 65 m.p.h. I am having the base plate installed on Monday.
womps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #12

I towed a 99 Honda CR-V 81,000 miles and drove it another 120,000 miles. In those 201,000 miles I never had a problem and never took it in for any repairs. I traded for a 2007 Honda CR-V and have driven it 37,000 miles and towed it about 20,000 miles. So far it has been a great small SUV without any problems.

The original tires were noisy and I don't know why Honda puts such cheap tires on the CR-V. I installed quality Michelin tires and now it is one of the quietest and smoothest riding cars I have ever had and I have owned about 30 cars since 1961.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Womps, what base plate and tow bar did you choose for the Terrain? How did the installation go? My Terrain is scheduled for assembly next week.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by womps View Post
We just purchased a 2010 GMC Terrain (same as a Chev. Equinox). So far very impressed with vehicle. Very quiet inside. Had a 2007 Honda CRV. Terribly noisy in comparrison. According to the manual I need to pull 1 fuse and let engine idle for 3 to 5 minuets at every fuel stop. Also should not be towed above 65 m.p.h. I am having the base plate installed on Monday.
Congrats Whomps on the new Toad. I agree, I have had 4 Hondas and all noisy but reliable. Looks like America is starting to take the car market back.
My new Jeep is quieter than any of the Hondas that I have owned.