Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #1

We've been towing the '03 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab with the Vectra. Those two units wll remain in the inventory.

However - a 4500# truck is just a wee bit heavier than the View is happy with. As my health seems to continue to deteriorate, options change. I had been looking for something that would work.

Requirements:
Automatic transmission and AWD, with at least some rudimentatry off-road capability;
Towable 4-down with no modifications;
As light as possible - max weight 3500#;
Reasonable amenities, and decent gas mileage;
Reasonably inexpensive (under $25K, new).

All the conventional stuff failed on one requirement or another, especially after the base Wrangler got so heavy. I was researching, yet again, last night when I stumbled on Ford's new '09 "Towing Guide" (on the Ford website - you have to dig for it, though). Seems that all their '09 stuff with the "Intelli-Drive AWD" system is now 4-down towable.

So, today, we visited my next-to-next-door neighbor - who happens to own a Ford Dealership. We ordered an '09 Ford Escape XLT AWD, 4-cylinder. It should be here about 1/10/09. Interestingly enough, the '09 Escapes have a revised suspension and both engines have substantially more power than last year.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

We've been towing the '03 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab with the Vectra. Those two units wll remain in the inventory.

However - a 4500# truck is just a wee bit heavier than the View is happy with. As my health seems to continue to deteriorate, options change. I had been looking for something that would work.

Requirements:
Automatic transmission and AWD, with at least some rudimentatry off-road capability;
Towable 4-down with no modifications;
As light as possible - max weight 3500#;
Reasonable amenities, and decent gas mileage;
Reasonably inexpensive (under $25K, new).

All the conventional stuff failed on one requirement or another, especially after the base Wrangler got so heavy. I was researching, yet again, last night when I stumbled on Ford's new '09 "Towing Guide" (on the Ford website - you have to dig for it, though). Seems that all their '09 stuff with the "Intelli-Drive AWD" system is now 4-down towable.

So, today, we visited my next-to-next-door neighbor - who happens to own a Ford Dealership. We ordered an '09 Ford Escape XLT AWD, 4-cylinder. It should be here about 1/10/09. Interestingly enough, the '09 Escapes have a revised suspension and both engines have substantially more power than last year.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
That sounds great. However, I'd suggest that you carefully examine the owner's manual when your ordered Escape arrives to make sure the vehicle is flat towable. There have situations in the past where there was conflicting documentation and the proud owner of a new vehicle discovered too late that it was not flat towable.
Steve Rankin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up. We looked at the owners' guide for an '09 XLT AWD they had on the showroom floor. It confirms it.