Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

New Toad Recommendations

We have a 2013 43' Entegra Anthem Tag Axle coach and are looking at a potential toad. I have spoke to several coach delivery drivers and every one has STRONGLY suggested a Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon. Citing that a normal car or truck just doesn't have the suspension to handle the constant torque and bouncing that the coach delivers. We anticipate putting 12k-15k miles as a toad. I'm curious what other experiences have been.

I'm looking for replies from those that pull the toad significant miles per year and can speak to how the vehicle has held up over the years.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We were full time for four years, covered 44K miles and 34 states. We towed our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the first half of that and our 2007 Ford Explorer for the second half.

Although we didn't put the entire 44K on one toad, I should say that we never had a single problem of any kind towing either and I certainly couldn't tell any difference in how they towed.

We far preferred the Jeep to the Ford as an every day vehicle though.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY
I have spoke to several coach delivery drivers and every one has STRONGLY suggested a Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon. Citing that a normal car or truck just doesn't have the suspension to handle the constant torque and bouncing that the coach delivers.

Thanks.
That's interesting. What "constant torque and bouncing" does the coach deliver? Watching the toad in the camera I don't see it bouncing and torquing.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't see any bouncing on the toad but I can understand some torque issues but not enough to worry about. The torque issues would result from side to side sway and the amount would depend on the distance between the rear wheels of the coach and the front wheels of the toad.

We have a '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been towed over 100,000 miles and has approx 145,000 on the odometer. The only problem was a front drive shaft that had a bad universal joint.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We have been towing a 2007 Saturn Vue for about 30,000 miles without a problem. If there's a lot of bouncing and torque, could it be towbar related. I haven't seen it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I may be missing something but what difference is there between towing or driving? Seems to me the road would dictate stress or lack thereof.

Have towed Fords, Hondas,Jeeps and Toyotas without problems, "SO FAR".

Don
You can't fix stupid but you can vote them out!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While we love our Jeep Wrangler (we're on our second), truth is, there are a lot of good potential toads out there.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I really like Jeeps because of the 4x4 transmission and ease of towing (transfer case with neutral, no wheel lock recent years). But I don't see that the heavy duty suspension is any kind of significant factor. If the toad is getting slammed around that much, there's something wrong with the tow rig or the driving.

Edit: Just noticed WHO you said you got that advice from. Maybe for those guys it's true. They probably drive more miles in a year than normal RVers do in 5, and I bet they're not as "easy" on a rig as an owner would be. :(

joe
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox, front wheel drive with a 2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32CA (33 feet long, gas powered). Have a Blue Ox tow plate and Blue Ox (Aladdin) tow bar. Have only towed it about 2000 miles, but have had no problems. It is very easy to get it ready to tow, just follow the instructions in the owners manual.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Looking for an explanation... I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
We have a 2013 43' Entegra Anthem Tag Axle coach and are looking at a potential toad. I have spoke to several coach delivery drivers and every one has STRONGLY suggested a Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon. Citing that a normal car or truck just doesn't have the suspension to handle the constant torque and bouncing that the coach delivers. We anticipate putting 12k-15k miles as a toad. I'm curious what other experiences have been.

I'm looking for replies from those that pull the toad significant miles per year and can speak to how the vehicle has held up over the years.

Thanks.
I'm not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I am a life long maintenance guy and a commercial driver with a few million miles of travel behind me. My question for the above statement would be, what the heck are they talking about? Constant torque? Bouncing maybe, but isn't that the job of suspension? It should allow for that with no problems. Torque? Somebody and maybe it's me, needs to check the definition of torque. Not sure what they are talking about here but I don't think that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
That's interesting. What "constant torque and bouncing" does the coach deliver? Watching the toad in the camera I don't see it bouncing and torquing.
Good point. Not sure how you would see "torquing" in the vehicle or what it would look from a camera angle like that if you did see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I don't see any bouncing on the toad but I can understand some torque issues but not enough to worry about. The torque issues would result from side to side sway and the amount would depend on the distance between the rear wheels of the coach and the front wheels of the toad.

We have a '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been towed over 100,000 miles and has approx 145,000 on the odometer. The only problem was a front drive shaft that had a bad universal joint.
Maybe I need the explanation here. I can't understand any torque issues that would occur in a towed vehicle. Side to side sway is not torque. There is a slight point to be made here. The distance from the rear axle of the coach to the front axle of the towed vehicle would magnify the amount of tail swing and movement of the towed vehicle when turning to any degree, when going down the road in a neutral configuration both vehicles would be moving in a straight line with the axle distance having no effect at that time.
As always, my thoughts.
Stay safe out there.
Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

RickO, We have a 2008 Ford Escape we were thinking of using but I have heard there were problems with the Ford transmission. Did you have to do anything to the motor etc, to tow four down?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
RickO, We have a 2008 Ford Escape we were thinking of using but I have heard there were problems with the Ford transmission. Did you have to do anything to the motor etc, to tow four down?
Welcome to the forum.

I had my Ford dealer install the "neutral tow kit" when I bought the Explorer. I'm not really sure what it does but, according to Ford, it qualifies the car to be towed four down.

Have you checked the Remco or Motorhome Magazine towing guides? They'll give you a good idea of what you're facing with your Escape.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #13

Well I have a lot of experience in pulling a toad. I saw very little movement or bouncing around the entire 8 miles home from the hitch shop Tuesday!
I sure hope I don't have issues.We are looking forward to lots of trouble free miles and hopefully there will be a few usable parts left after we are done with it. We are pulling a 2012 Enclave and I watched the thing in the rear camera all the way home and it looked so smooth and trailed perfect. It will be hard to remember it's back there. I'm sure when we hit a long grade I'll be reminded , it's not the lightest toad we could have gotten.

Tags
toad