Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

New toad setup need help

I am getting ready to order parts to get the new jeep set up for towing (the new jeep will be a Jeep Rubicon Recon and should take delivery in 1 to 3 weeks). I have towed our Jeep TJ for years but want to do a better package for the bigger, heavier jeep.

I a looking at the following (all from amazon)

Bumper: (I want to be able to hook the tow bar up to the bumper so I don't reduce my ground clearance). Restyling Factory RFFB4018 (this is a Smittybilt replica for 300 less)

Tow bar: Blue OX BX7365 Alpha 6,500 lb or BX7445 Aventa LX 10,000 lb

Adapter: Adapter for tow bar to bumper blue ox BX88304

Safety Cables: Roadmaster (643-2)

I will also get the blue ox bag to store the tow bar.

Lights: ???? Why cant you hook up your tow lights from the RV to the Toads trailer hitch lights? Will this work?

How does everything look? Is there something I should do differently?

Thanks

Old toad 2003 Jeep Sport TJ
New toad 2017 Jeep unlimited JK Rubicon Recon
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

My Blue Ox , Aventa came with 10,000 lb. safety cables ?

EDIT: Not sure about the lights , but worth checking out, wouldn't take long to test .
Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
New toad setup need help

You will need something for lights. Hooking to trailer lights will not work. I like to use the aftermarket harness that ties in between stock harness and tail lights. This then is routed to front bumper of toad.
I think safety cables may come with the tow bar but may want to verify.
Also need braking system of some sort.

Also thought I might mention this as I have read about this happening on multiple occasions with Jeep aftermarket bumpers.
Using the tow hooks that are just welded on the face of the bumper have been pulled off or broken. The better made versions are a through bumper mount of the tow hook or bolts through the face.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Skip thanks, in reading reviews it is mentioned that it comes with safety cables.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Thirty plus years ago we used to occasionally travel to Texas from California for work. Instead of driving both vehicles I put a tow bar on the Toyota pickup and towed it behind dad's chevy van.

Lighting was simple. I ran a standard three wire extension cord from the tow bar to the rear lights on the Toyota. I installed quick connects in the line to the tail lights of the Toyota. When being towed the power to the lights came from the extensions cord, three wires, right-left-run with frame ground. When not being towed the original wiring was connected.

When I built the Chain Bed Truck I did something similar. Four toggle switches in a tool compartment. Switches up, run-right-left-ground power came off the pickup to the lights. Middle, nothing went to the lights. Down power went to the lights from the Peterbuilt hauler. I also figured the toggle switch idea was a great antitheft device. Middle or down no lights on the bed of the truck, get a cop's attention instantly.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a believer in strength. So I'm going to recommend using the 10000# Blue Ox Aventa hitch. Cables included.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, toad